The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-05-2022, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF:

For me, I have a simple rule.

Uncoated regular strings sound good for 3 weeks and will hold tuning for 2 months

Coated strings (Martin, D’Addario, ClearTone) will last 2 months and hold tuning for 6 months.

Elixir nanoweb coating lasts 4 months and will hold tuning for close to a year.

Monels sound bad for the first 10 days then sound good for 6 months+. They hold tuning longer than I’ll leave them on the guitar, but I’ve had a few sets last a year and still sounded good (on mahogany or maple guitars only).
Old 07-06-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
When I change strings I keep the paper part of the packaging and write the date and which instrument they went on.

I sometimes go up to a year between changes, especially the monel strings on my archtop. But even the round core Curt Mangan phosphor bronze strings sound good to me after being on my Martin HD-28 over 6 months.

Used to be with other brands I'd really notice new strings. Not so much now. I doubt its due to any hearing loss - my job requires hearing protection and annual audiograms where any change in my hearing is tracked and documented.
I do the same thing, I write the date of the string change on the packaging.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I do the same thing, I write the date of the string change on the packaging.
That's a good idea. Also I have strings on my guitars and quite frankly in many cases I've forgotten what brand they are. I can remember (and feel) if their gauge and I know most of them are uncoated phosphor bronze strings. But I don't know when I put them on or, in most cases, even the brand they are.

Plus I've bought a couple used guitars and I like the strings ... but I have no idea, of course, what brand they are. I have strings to put on all of them, and maybe I will do that one day, but I actually like the sound of the strings on the two used guitars.

One other thing, which I sort of talked about in another post I made, is that I don't mind old strings if they are all "old" or sound alike. My problem is when one or two strings sound different than the others ... either dead or very much alive ... because that just throws off all of the unity of the sound I think, especially if you play some single notes.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 07-06-2022, 11:26 AM

Dead strings? How long can a string live

Until it breaks or you change it.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 07-06-2022, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Welcome to the AGF:

For me, I have a simple rule.

Uncoated regular strings sound good for 3 weeks and will hold tuning for 2 months

Coated strings (Martin, D’Addario, ClearTone) will last 2 months and hold tuning for 6 months.

Elixir nanoweb coating lasts 4 months and will hold tuning for close to a year.

Monels sound bad for the first 10 days then sound good for 6 months+. They hold tuning longer than I’ll leave them on the guitar, but I’ve had a few sets last a year and still sounded good (on mahogany or maple guitars only).
Simple Rules ?
Yeah,

Once, I'd change them every on my main player monthly, then every couple of months.

When prices went soaring I changed to three months.
My PB strings looked less bright but OK sounding

The Covid ....
I didn't play so much - dreads and 12s stayed in cases.

I've got guitars with strings 8-9 months which are still fine.

For the ones in my lounge that I play for fun and giving lessons - still about three months.
don't like coated strings but the Martin "treated" are looking/sounding good - 4 months plus.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzo View Post
I bought my guitar used and for the simple reason I have yet to snap a string I have not changed the strings the owner could not tell me anything about the guitar he could not play..l. They may be years old ... but this last few weeks the tone of the guitar have become stale... so I thinking these strings are truly dead and plus they were extra light 10s... so I want more snap , bite? to the strings so I'm going to 12. But I was wondering when is a string truly dead? How long will they live? Weeks, or over months? Silly question .. yes but.. it's still a question. Lol
not a silly question like Glenn says

but it's almost always the first thing most of us do when we get another guitar

even a brand new one that was shipped from a warehouse in the factory box.

Strings have a life span. And even when not played, will age. Playing ages them faster.

If I just picked up a second hand guitar, the strings would have been changed the second I got it home and opened the case.

if you do not know how to change strings, there are many Youtube lessons.

I suggest a good pair of wire cutters and a string winder (find that at your local music store, or order one from Amazon)

a other things to consider to get you on the road to basic maintenance.

- treat/hydrating the fret board
- polishing frets

stuff that's easy to learn how to do and will be a benefit to both you and the instrument.

in the mean time, YES - change those strings!!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-06-2022, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

One thing for sure, the sound of Nick Drake's dead strings will live on for a long time;

Old 07-06-2022, 12:23 PM

On my guitar, dead old strings don’t stay in tune.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=rmp;7037799]not a silly question like Glenn says

but it's almost always the first thing most of us do when we get another guitar

I agree . First thing is change strings.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzo View Post
I bought my guitar used and for the simple reason I have yet to snap a string I have not changed the strings the owner could not tell me anything about the guitar he could not play..l. They may be years old ... but this last few weeks the tone of the guitar have become stale... so I thinking these strings are truly dead and plus they were extra light 10s... so I want more snap , bite? to the strings so I'm going to 12. But I was wondering when is a string truly dead? How long will they live? Weeks, or over months? Silly question .. yes but.. it's still a question. Lol
The real answer is they are dead when you feel they are dead. If you dont like the tone or what ever its time to change them. Some people change after every gig, once a week, once a year. I had to fire a solo guitarist who could not produce audible tone through a mic. His strings had zero life left in them. I could not believe they did not break yet. He thought they sounded fantastic LOL. Everyone is different. Do what works for you.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:17 AM

For me, a dying string is defined by how much sustain has it lost. When I notice a notable decay in sustain, it's time to go.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 07-07-2022, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Depends on a variety of factors. Wound strings usually die before the unwound ones in my experience. But, only your ears can tell you if a string is no longer giving you the tone and pitch that you’re wanting to hear.
Best,
Jayne
Old 07-07-2022, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

I would say it depends how discerning you are. My wife had a guitar that sat outside in a shed for thirty years. I dug it out one day and the strings were but a bit out of tune. I played it for a couple weeks before I changed to a set of Elixir lights and I thought it sounded a little bit livelier. My wife, who has a much better ear and no vested interest in the guitar or the string change said she couldn't hear the difference. So one guitar, one story, and two people's opinion.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 07-07-2022, 10:56 AM

I know when my strings need to be changed by how the Bass E sounds.
When it gets dead sounding, it's time for a change.

How often is it?
That all depends on the amount of playing time and environment.
I have had to change strings after one long outdoors jam session.
Other times if I'm not playing the guitar very much, I can get 6 months out of them.

So my answer is, when they are played out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion