The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-03-2022, 10:06 PM

Default Amp recommendations: k&k pure mini?

I just recently got a k&k pure mini installed in my stonebridge OM and the Roland micro cube I have just isn't cutting it. All of my other amps are electric amplifiers (tweed champ and twin reverb) and their sound doesn't seem to work for the acoustic sound (plus feedback).

Do you have any recommendations on amps to try? Any to stay away from? I'll be bringing the guitar to the local guitar store to get some sounds out of different amps and I'd love to know some to specifically look out for. Any and all guidance is much appreciated! Thank you!
Old 07-03-2022, 10:16 PM

Fishman Loudbox Mini, Artist, and Performer are at the top of my list.

I have a Mini (perfect for 95% of my pre-Covid gigs) and a Performer. All of my acoustics have K&K pups.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:13 AM
Charter Member

Another vote for the Fishman LB. Pick the one you like with the features you want.

I have a LB Mini and I'm very pleased with it.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

+3 for the Loudbox line. You'll likely have to dial back the bass a bit on the guitar channel but you'll like the sound.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:10 AM

Default Amp recommendations: k&k pure mini?

For the K&K Pure Mini going straight into an amp, I liked the Bose S1 Pro and the Genzler Acoustic Array mini. Both are expensive. Alternatively, if you have the patience for an external preamp and an iPhone, I recommend leaving your amp alone and trying an LR Baggs Voice Print DI to really make the K&K sing. This is what I use now and I have K&K in all my guitars. If your Roland isn’t sounded great to you regardless, then a new amp may be in order. I also like the Fishman products, but I prefer the two I mentioned.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:39 AM

I have an Amp stand and an old brown colored .. Crate 125d . I use a sm58 for vocals and a K&K equiped Alvarez MD65 . I use a feedback buster plug in the guitar if needed. I dial the bass back to 9 o'clock or even lowered 8 to 7 even , mids back between 11 -9 , and boost the treble to 1-2 o'clock on it , in the acoustic channel .... On the Amps master EQ that's helps clear and clean up everything , I make a V shape boosting the lows and highs , and cutting the middle mids a tad so a V shape ... You can find this amp dirt cheap used like $199 dollars ... The Amp also has spring reverb , effects loop , ... It also has a chorus but just in the acoustic guitar channel ... Well that's my amp pa setup ..... SWR strawberry blonde and the others SWR acoustic Amps are even better if you can find one used .
Old 07-04-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemaybe View Post
I just recently got a k&k pure mini installed in my stonebridge OM and the Roland micro cube I have just isn't cutting it. All of my other amps are electric amplifiers (tweed champ and twin reverb) and their sound doesn't seem to work for the acoustic sound (plus feedback).

Do you have any recommendations on amps to try? Any to stay away from? I'll be bringing the guitar to the local guitar store to get some sounds out of different amps and I'd love to know some to specifically look out for. Any and all guidance is much appreciated! Thank you!
Try a Cube EX.

I use one at home and also gig with my "solo" setup. One of my bandmates recently purchased the same amp after hearing mine. My guitar uses a K&K Pure Mini plugged directly into the Cube EX.

We just did a tent gig Saturday, two of us had the Cube EX setups (instrument and vocal mic) and my other bandmate uses a Fender Acoustisonic for his instrument and vocal mic. I've used it several times for outdoor gigs and always had good experiences with it. Gator as well as others make a mini PA stand to fit its built in stand socket.

I have previous posts describing this amp and what I like about it.

Last edited by Rudy4; 07-04-2022 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:30 AM

Yamaha THR5A or THR30IIA. They have the Yamaha SRT modeling built-in. I have the dinosaur version of it in the AG Stomp as well. They make the quackiest sounding pickups sound better.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:18 AM

I have owned the Ibanez Troubadour, the Yamaha THR and the Fishman Loudbox mini. The best without a doubt is the Fishman for my guitars with k&k pure mini.

2023 Loef 00 13 fret
2018 Loef Dread SS 12 fret
1972 Yamaha FG-75 Red Label
2017 Kremona Romida rd-c
Old 07-06-2022, 12:53 PM

I'm hearing a lot of good about the fishman products here I am really looking forward to trying them out. They seem to be more expensive but everyone's comments about the sound quality seems very worth it. Anyone used the new line of acoustic amps from fender? Worth checking out or just wasting my time? Thank you all so much for info!
Old 07-06-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemaybe View Post
I'm hearing a lot of good about the fishman products here I am really looking forward to trying them out. They seem to be more expensive but everyone's comments about the sound quality seems very worth it. Anyone used the new line of acoustic amps from fender? Worth checking out or just wasting my time? Thank you all so much for info!
The new line from Fender is also very good. Maybe not as road worthy, but they sound good. The input impedance for the new Fenders, if I recall correctly is 2M Ohm, which is a decent match for the K&K. Some amplifiers with very high input impedance (10M Ohm+) may sound muddy with the K&K. Amplifiers with 1M Ohm up to ~5M Ohm input impedance tend to sound good with K&K and can generally be equalized well.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Yamaha THR5A or THR30IIA. They have the Yamaha SRT modeling built-in. I have the dinosaur version of it in the AG Stomp as well. They make the quackiest sounding pickups sound better.
Dislike the amps, love the AG Stomp modelling and agree with it's effectiveness.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Dislike the amps, love the AG Stomp modelling and agree with it's effectiveness.
It's a shame the amps aren't more powerful. I DI mine to a big PA.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

…I run my K&K equipped guitars through a Headway EDB-2 preamp and into a JBL Eon 610…. I can use it as a stage rig with the band or with a 2nd Eon 610 for a small PA setup which I then add a small mixer to……it’s as good or better setup than anything else I’ve used…..sounds great…light weight….not too expensive…versatile….

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification