The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-13-2023, 08:56 AM

Default Tuning peg 'creaking' or 'grinding' + Bridge hole query

As I was getting my Blueridge BR160 ready to sell, taking out the pickup etc, I began to retighten the strings when the 6th string peg started to make a 'creaking' or perhaps more accurately a 'grinding' noise. No prior indication of anything before. The peg is the open back worm gear/kluson type. Is this just needing a wee bit of oil, or is it curtains for the peg? Seems to be holding the string in tension okay. Only one doing it. Nothing looks amiss.

Secondly, the bridge pin at the 6th string wants to pop up above the others (in spite of heavy thumb pressure on the top) as i get up to tension. I've swapped pins, and that seems to do the trick. I was keeping the same pin in the 6th string hole, and that was fine, but I forgot today. Anyway, since the pins should be uniform - but obviously not in a minute way, I'm thinking the 6th string hole could do with a slight touch with a rat tail file to widen it a tiny smidgen. Am I right?

Grateful for any help you guys can provide.

Auden Chester 45 Cedar/Rosewood
Eastman AC322ce Spruce/Mahogany
Sigma SDM-SG5 Spruce/Mahogany
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 02-13-2023, 11:47 AM

My BR140CE had Gotohs, lovely tuners, you have little to lose by trying to lubricate it and checking the gear screw is tight.

If your 6th pin is lifting, it likely means the ball is catching on the bottom of the pin. Bend the string end at the pin away from the pin end. Also you can chamfer the pin end away from the ball. Put the string in the hole and put the pin in half way, pull up the string till ball hits the top then push in pin.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
My BR140CE had Gotohs, lovely tuners, you have little to lose by trying to lubricate it and checking the gear screw is tight.

If your 6th pin is lifting, it likely means the ball is catching on the bottom of the pin. Bend the string end at the pin away from the pin end. Also you can chamfer the pin end away from the ball. Put the string in the hole and put the pin in half way, pull up the string till ball hits the top then push in pin.
Cheers. The tuners are anonymous Unless anyone else comes up with something, I'll try something (vaseline?). Re the pins, I do precisely what you advised - even tapering the pins with my trusty file. That's why I'm thinking it's something to do with the hole.

Old 02-13-2023, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Scot in Otley View Post
As I was getting my Blueridge BR160 ready to sell, taking out the pickup etc, I began to retighten the strings when the 6th string peg started to make a 'creaking' or perhaps more accurately a 'grinding' noise. No prior indication of anything before. The peg is the open back worm gear/kluson type. Is this just needing a wee bit of oil, or is it curtains for the peg? Seems to be holding the string in tension okay. Only one doing it. Nothing looks amiss.

Secondly, the bridge pin at the 6th string wants to pop up above the others (in spite of heavy thumb pressure on the top) as i get up to tension. I've swapped pins, and that seems to do the trick. I was keeping the same pin in the 6th string hole, and that was fine, but I forgot today. Anyway, since the pins should be uniform - but obviously not in a minute way, I'm thinking the 6th string hole could do with a slight touch with a rat tail file to widen it a tiny smidgen. Am I right?

Grateful for any help you guys can provide.
Problem no.1. If I were you I would remove the tuning machine (don't lose the screws!) Remove it and check to see if it revolves freely outside of the headstock. If it does, look to see if there are signs of binding - If yes, consider finding a way to remove a tiny bit of wood.

Try inserting a teeny tiny bit of Vaseline in the channel.

If the tuner it still binding outside of the headstock then consider adding some grease or Vaseline between the gear wheel and the cog and wind until it runs free.

If not, disassemble and re-assemble.

Last option, take it to a tech and have a new set installed.

Problem No.2. Proud Bridge pin.

!st, check that the string barrel is not hooking on the end of the bridge pin.
If not, maybe that pin is a fraction larger in taper than the others.
Options:
a) ignore
b) chop and change with another pin
c) sand taper (just a little).
d) widen the string slot a teeny tiny bit.

n.b it maybe that the string winding is a tad wider than usual.

Hope that helps.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Problem no.1. If I were you I would remove the tuning machine (don't lose the screws!) Remove it and check to see if it revolves freely outside of the headstock. If it does, look to see if there are signs of binding - If yes, consider finding a way to remove a tiny bit of wood.

Try inserting a teeny tiny bit of Vaseline in the channel.

If the tuner it still binding outside of the headstock then consider adding some grease or Vaseline between the gear wheel and the cog and wind until it runs free.

If not, disassemble and re-assemble.

Last option, take it to a tech and have a new set installed.

Problem No.2. Proud Bridge pin.

!st, check that the string barrel is not hooking on the end of the bridge pin.
If not, maybe that pin is a fraction larger in taper than the others.
Options:
a) ignore
b) chop and change with another pin
c) sand taper (just a little).
d) widen the string slot a teeny tiny bit.

n.b it maybe that the string winding is a tad wider than usual.

Hope that helps.
Thanks very much for your comprehensive reply. Very much appreciated. I shall get going with my screw driver and (possibly) vaseline tomorrow (ooh, err).

Old 02-13-2023, 04:59 PM

Default a thought

I've never heard any audible noises come from a tuner, but lots of pops and snaps from strings that were snagging on the nut or saddle. I think OP's problem would go away forever if the strings could move without binding.

OP mentions that the bridge pin recedes from its hole under string tension. That is sure to raise the dickens with tuning. Slotting the bridge pin holes and either turn the present bridge pins around or use unslotted pins and that nuisance goes away. When strings are installed in a slotted bridge, the pins can be removed and nothing would change, the pins are there to prevent the string from falling out when tension is released; the bridge pins feel no tension from the strings.
Old 02-14-2023, 04:32 AM

Default Update

Took off the offending tuner. Turned roughly outside the hole, which looked hunky dory. Put on some vaseline on the worm edges and turned many times. Nowt appeared to be happening when I felt a minor vibration and it suddenly started turning smoother. Result! It reminded me that I thought I felt a tiny vibration before it started grinding. Must be something duff in the the construction. Anyway, it's currently working as it was before - which wasn't fantastic, but okay.

As regards the pin, I did a little filing on the front edge of the hole, but given that the pin in there is okay, I decided to not go any further. When I changed strings the first time, the 6th string peg was a bugger to get out, so it shouldn't be the strings. What I did notice is that the bridge pin holes aren't slotted on the top towards the neck. That might be an issue. My wife's new guitar is like that too, and the 6th string pin is a bit proud.

Old 02-17-2023, 05:32 PM

Default update 2

Took a draught of confidence juice and took my trusty rat tail file to pin hole again - got fed up. Pin problem now fixed. My contribution to the fount of guitar tinkering knowledge.

Old 02-24-2023, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Sure creaking pinging, is tuner, and not nut slot?
Old 02-24-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Scot in Otley View Post
Cheers. The tuners are anonymous Unless anyone else comes up with something, I'll try something (vaseline?). Re the pins, I do precisely what you advised - even tapering the pins with my trusty file. That's why I'm thinking it's something to do with the hole.
My BR-140CE tuners had no name on them but were listed in the spec sheet as Gotoh.
Old 02-25-2023, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Sure creaking pinging, is tuner, and not nut slot?
Defo the tuner. I isolated the issue. It's now okay (fingers crossed), but I expect it to do it again at some point in the future. The tiny vibration that happened just when it started and stopped grinding, whilst odd as there is nothing visible amiss, indicates .... um ... something.

I'd replace it if I intended keeping the guitar, but I'm now selling it on ebay, simply because I prefer a (wee bit) smaller guitar and I need the funds for guitar recycling purposes.

Old 02-25-2023, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
My BR-140CE tuners had no name on them but were listed in the spec sheet as Gotoh.
Thanks for the info.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair