The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-14-2015, 10:41 AM

Default Carbonfiber Question

Hey folks, I contemplating a buying cf guitar and have been wondering...I'm a very percussive player "at times" and does the finish wear off from flatpicks, do they have a pickguard of sorts. Generally do they hold up better this way than wood?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-14-2015, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I am a strummer and have not noticed any pick marks on the top of my RainSong Shorty. (hybrid top) Gloss back/sides.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:40 AM

Unless they've changed things, Rainsong has a conventional finish like a wood guitar, that can scratch and wear. However, after the finish is worn through, I would expect the carbon fiber to be more durable than wood.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:50 PM

I've had a glossy WS-1000 for at least 15 years. I put a self-stick clear pickguard on it when it was new, but the pickguard has very few marks after all this time. I don't hit the top very much with my strumming or flatpick technique, unless I am really thrashing on the guitar for some reason. Most of the marks on the pickguard are probably from letting others play my Rainsong to test it out.

The automotive-grade clear coat they use is likely quite durable, but there isn't a big down side to putting on a pickguard if you want to be sure.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:22 PM
Guest 720

anyone know exactly what they are clear coated with currently? I just ordered one, and this got me wondering.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:18 PM

We use a very hard wearing Polyester finish on our guitars but it still can scratch just like other guitars with some heavy abuse. We don't install pick guards as standard but you can always add one after for a little extra protection.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:18 PM
Guest 928

Stewart-MacDonald carries a clear self-adhesive Mylar guard material, in 10" by 13" sheets. It is very thin, works very well, and you have to look really close to se it. I lay a sheet of thin paper on the guitar, pencil out the guard shape, sut the paper and if it's right I use it as a pattern for the Mylar.

There has been a lot of discussion of the Carbon Fiber Guitar Forum regarding a guard that you can put on and take off at will--but I don't remember the brand.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:23 PM
Guest 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
We use a very hard wearing Polyester finish on our guitars but it still can scratch just like other guitars with some heavy abuse. We don't install pick guards as standard but you can always add one after for a little extra protection.
Thanks for that info. I wonder if that is what Rainsong uses as well? Anyone know?
Old 07-16-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Thanks for that info. I wonder if that is what Rainsong uses as well? Anyone know?
Rainsong uses a super tough clear coat, I believe it's an automotive grade material, that seems to resist my hardest efforts to scratch it. My oldest Rainsong is 15-years old now by the way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber