The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-11-2020, 07:22 PM

It's worth noting that certain charactericstics, whether applied to guitar or mandolin, kill off high end and sustain.

F-holes interrupt the plane of the soundboard and help dampen it.

Archtop instruments often lose sustain and "sparkle."

It's pretty common for bluegrass mandolin players themselves to acknowledge the "woodiness" and "chop" of various f-hole archtop mandolins, desireable to them, and the sparkle and sustain of flat-top oval- and round-hole instruments, undesireable to them.

I highly recommend doing side-by-side comparisons, if possible, to hear the differences. The comparative lack of sustain on a bluegrass mandolin might not be to your taste.

Whatever you choose, good luck!
Old 02-17-2020, 11:32 PM

I bought a Gibson F9 about a dozen years ago. Took me that long to learn how to play it.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Hey, Chickee...I've just joined a large mandolin site recently and was delighted to see all the folks there who, like myself, lean towards music other than BG played on the mandolin...
Denny, have you found a mandolin yet? The more you surf the net the more diverse mandolin music will be found.
But I have to say, the guy setting the bar way high right now is Chris Thile. He is on another level.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:57 AM

Default A mandoilin

Unless you find a crazy great deal on a F Mandolin I would buy an A mandolin.
A good F Mandolin is going to cost you. You will get more for your money with an A mandolin.
I own a Kentucky KM150 and a Kentucky KM500. Both great mandolins.
A Kentucky F mandolin equal to my KM 500 will cost you $1000 or more.
A lot of work goes into making a great playing F Mandolin
Old 02-24-2020, 03:48 PM

So, I think I lean more toward the A style...saves some $ and I actually like it better, aesthetically speaking...

From what I read and hear, the oval sound hole seems to be more what I want to hear...a little more sustain and reverb? .. and I wouldn't be going for the BG "chop" anyway...

Eastman seems to get a lot of goodwill here and other places I'm browsing...
I've been looking at their MD404 BK model..."A" style, oval sound hole...black nitro gloss top with mahogany gloss sides and back...goes for about $100 over the basic 300 series...I'm reading that the mahogany gives it a bit more "mellow" tone than the usual maple? If so, I'd be fine with that...

Anyone familiar with this model or a similar one from another maker?

I sincerely appreciate all the comments and advice so far...

404.jpg

Last edited by Denny B; 02-25-2020 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-2020, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Denny, have you found a mandolin yet? The more you surf the net the more diverse mandolin music will be found.
But I have to say, the guy setting the bar way high right now is Chris Thile. He is on another level.

Yeah, I've been familiar with him since way back when he was in Nickel Creek with Sara and Sean Watkins, and I love everything he's doing with Punch Brothers...I've heard him jam with Sam Bush, and I've heard him do a Bach Sonata...the guy is just from another planet!

Last edited by Denny B; 02-25-2020 at 11:22 AM. Reason: typo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments