The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 01-30-2020, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Esther Phillips... "Black-Eyed Blues"

I just heard this played on NPR and loved it. Phillips is singing the Joe Cocker song, but I liked her version a whole lot better. Talented lady who died way too young.

"I'm Gettin' Along Alright"

"What a Difference a Day Makes"

"How Blue Can You Get"
Old 01-31-2020, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Thanks for posting these, Kerbie. I really enjoyed listening. I looked up some more information about her and ran across this item that was taken from a book that included interviews with classic blues performers:

"One of her biggest post-1950s triumphs was her first album for Kudu Records, From a Whisper to a Scream, in 1972. The lead track, "Home Is Where the Hatred Is", an account of drug use written by Gil Scott-Heron, was nominated for a Grammy Award. Phillips lost to Aretha Franklin, but Franklin presented the trophy to her, saying she should have won it instead."

That's pretty high praise and it was unfortunate that she died so young (48) after a rather hard life.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-31-2020, 09:48 PM

Her lp Performance,is one of my faves.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN