The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-01-2020, 09:19 AM

Default Help with a possible identification (Mandolin/Zither)

Hello all,

A friend of mine asked for my help in identifying two antique instruments that his father had. One is a 45-string Zither and the other is a Mandolin. He believes both are from Germany circa 1930s or 1940s and possibly his grandfather's. The Zither I have been able to find some information on however I can not find a set of 45 strings for it. Any options for finding a set of strings? It appears to be in decent condition.

The Mandolin on the other hand needs a lot of TLC. The wood has been warped from sitting for many years and the internal bindings are even coming apart. The funny thing is there are NO markings on the exterior or interior that I can see indicating a brand. Has anyone seen a mandolin like this before? I'm not sure if something like this would be worth restoring if it isn't worth anything. Any thoughts?

Thank you very much for reading! I appreciate any help that you can provide!

Electric Guitars:
Gibson, Fender, ESP, Schecter, Jackson, PRS
Old 02-01-2020, 05:33 PM

Are there any numbers stamped on the back of the headstock of the mandolin? Sometimes that can give a clue. I have seen pictures of similar instruments, if I remember correctly they are likely1920s/1930s instruments (my memory may be faulty.)
Old 02-01-2020, 10:16 PM

The zither is an Oscar Schmidt "chord zither" a/k/a "guitar zither", made in USA.

Here's a picture:

http://www.pickaway.press/fz/cz.html#sch525

Scroll down the page until you get to "Schmidt 5/25", and click on the accompanying thumbnail.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:48 AM

Thank you for the responses! I have been told I can not post about this anymore because I stepped on someone's toes as I took "other stringed instruments" literally. I guess the Zither is not from Germany then! I have found some info on it, but the main thing is finding strings if possible. No one seems to make 45 sting sets. Just since LadysSolo asked here is a pic of the headstock on the maondolin:

As you can see sadly there are no markings at all. Oh well. The mystery continues. Thank you for your help!!

Electric Guitars:
Gibson, Fender, ESP, Schecter, Jackson, PRS
Old 02-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414CE Koa View Post
I have been told I can not post about this anymore because I stepped on someone's toes as I took "other stringed instruments" literally.
????? That doesn't make any sense. "Other stringed instruments" is absolutely intended to be taken literally. Look at the subtitle:

"A place to discuss other stringed instruments including mandolins, ukuleles, resonators, banjos, dulcimers, bowed instruments, pedal and lap steel, dobros, etc"

Keep posting!

Last edited by frankmcr; 02-02-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have been told I can not post about this anymore because I stepped on someone's toes as I took "other stringed instruments" literally.
414... I can't imagine that because as Frank said above, this is the perfect section for this discussion. Sweet instruments... I'd like to hear more.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:21 AM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Thank you for the responses! I have been told I can not post about this anymore because I stepped on someone's toes as I took "other stringed instruments" literally.
Not sure who said that, but the moderation staff wholeheartedly encourages your continued posting about these here, the rightful location.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:48 PM

Concerning the mandolin - check the underside of the sound board -or look for an inside sticker .
im not sure of the brand , but ive seen these numerous times ( owned one , so so quality) -
a very common inexspensive mandolin of beginner quality -not a bad instrument - USA made
the ones ive seen like this had a dyed fingerboard - rough frets
a OK travel or camping mandolin - but not worth alot
( maybe 25-50 bucks if it plays well )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments