The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-18-2019, 04:25 PM

Smile Blackish (Mold?) Spotting on Cedar Acoustic Top

Hello, all!

I was recently given a salvage acoustic guitar (Seagull S6) that has blackish speckling and patching on the top (pictures linked below). Does anyone know if these stains are removable, and if so, how to remove them? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know where I can purchase a 1.8" nut replacement for this guitar?

Thank you for your time!
Caleb

Pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wcumm3bs5y..._6699.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3uesixof4v..._6697.JPG?dl=0
Old 08-18-2019, 04:55 PM

In the close up photo, it looks like each dark patch has a scratch or ding in the finish above the patch. Is that true for all the dark patches? Do they all correspond to scratches or dings in the finish?

I'm wondering if the guitar was exposed to high humidity (or even got wet) for an extended time and moisture got to the top wood through the scratches/dings followed by mold.

If that's the case, those patches are likely there to stay.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

It' s hard to tell because there is so much surface damage if it's related or just coincidental but "forensically" it looks like everywhere there is a black patch, there is surface damage, breaking through the clear coat.

Now this suggests (doesn't actually prove anything) thyat MAYBE the surface was broken open and something got to the wood that stained it.

If it was black mold spores, it would be on the raw unfinished wood inside - look all around inside.

I suspect its not mold but some sort of chemical stain from smoke or sweat or something.

It looks like that guitar had a somewhat rough life so who knows?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-18-2019, 05:28 PM

The areas you talk about look like water/humidity stains. If that is what they are only a refinishing of the top, sanding and bleaching will remove those stains.

The battle scars aren't bad. I say live with them. Concentrate on whatever mechanical issues there may be.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:05 PM

Those dark stains aren't black mold, so you can relax on that issue, concerning the marks on the top, at least. Fazool's suggestion that you look inside the body cavity is a good one, but I don't think mold will be present.

Get a dental mirror and a flashlight and go through the soundhole to look inside.

Paddy1951, in his infinite Irish-American wisdom, wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
The areas you talk about look like water/humidity stains. If that is what they are only a refinishing of the top, sanding and bleaching will remove those stains.
Well, I'm not so sure they're removable unless you were willing to sand down through the top more than than is generally considered wise. Even if that was accomplished, the cost to have that done would be considerably more than the guitar is worth, so it would the diametric opposite of cost-effective.

I do agree with you, Paddy, that something like water, suntan lotion or beer got splashed onto the top at some point, and some of it made its entry through the finish via those pre-existing top dings.

A previous owner foolishly trying to polish the Seagull's satin finish top with a guitar or furniture polish might be an even likelier source of those stains - now that I think about, the apparent viscosity of whatever made those stains matches the characteristics of a polish better than those of a beverage.

˙˙˙

Paddy concluded:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
The battle scars aren't bad. I say live with them. Concentrate on whatever mechanical issues there may be.
I agree.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-18-2019, 09:01 PM

Thank you everyone for your valuable insight! I took a quick look around inside the body using a dental mirror (great tip, Wade!) and as you expected, there is no mold to be found. If all is well mechanically, she'll make a great camping guitar.

Thanks again!
Caleb
Old 08-18-2019, 09:48 PM

There’s people out there paying big bucks for * reliced* guitars like that, and even worse. ( humor)
Old 08-19-2019, 02:53 PM

Default About the nut

Nuts aren't sold as interchangeable parts so much as raw materials. Not like car parts. The materials are cheap, it's the labor of making one for that very guitar that will cost a bit. If you can go it alone, a nut blank goes for coffee-and-a-muffin prices. If not, find a luthier to make and install one. OP: why do you think you need a nut (unless the nut is just plain missing)?
Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Nuts aren't sold as interchangeable parts so much as raw materials. Not like car parts. The materials are cheap, it's the labor of making one for that very guitar that will cost a bit. If you can go it alone, a nut blank goes for coffee-and-a-muffin prices. If not, find a luthier to make and install one. OP: why do you think you need a nut (unless the nut is just plain missing)?
Thanks for the comment, phavriluk! The nut and saddle are both missing; however, after some research, I was able to find the parts I need on Amazon for $10 a piece. In the event you ever need a replacement nut, GraphTech has an extensive catalog.

Cheers!
Caleb

Last edited by cordobacaleb; 08-20-2019 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Misspelling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
acoustic guitar, acoustic repair, cedar, seagull