The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-23-2020, 10:27 AM

Default Yamaha’s SRT2 system vs Baggs Anthem SL

Just to demonstrate how good the electronics (SRT2 system) in my A3R sound, here is a comparison to my J45 with the Baggs Anthem pickup. They are both plugged straight into a powered speaker with nothing additional. Phone was placed close to the speaker to avoid picking up the acoustic guitar sound. I think they both sound similar but the Yamaha sounds a bit fuller to me. The first clip is the J45/Anthem. The 2nd the A3R. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/l7aXOEwqPgQ
Old 02-23-2020, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

I prefer the amplified tone of the Yamaha AR3, and it's about 1/3 the cost of the Gibson J-45. Likely, the Gibson J-45 sounds better acoustically, yes?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-24-2020, 09:58 AM

Yes the J45 sounds wonderful acoustically and plays like butter, but I was very impressed and surprised by the plugged in tone of the Yamaha. Great stage guitar that you don't have to worry about too much. I got mine for around 600.
The SRT2 system is very similar to the Aura pickup system and compares very well with the Anthem system. The weird thing is nobody ever mentions these guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I prefer the amplified tone of the Yamaha AR3, and it's about 1/3 the cost of the Gibson J-45. Likely, the Gibson J-45 sounds better acoustically, yes?
Old 02-24-2020, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Yes the J45 sounds wonderful acoustically and plays like butter, but I was very impressed and surprised by the plugged in tone of the Yamaha. Great stage guitar that you don't have to worry about too much. I got mine for around 600.
The SRT2 system is very similar to the Aura pickup system and compares very well with the Anthem system. The weird thing is nobody ever mentions these guitars.
They do get mentioned. The Yamaha system is highly regarded. I was impressed with the recording (and often am impressed with the IR systems). I think I might remove the Anthem from the Gibson and gig the Yamaha. Best of both worlds.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:12 PM

You or me?

I'm not removing the Anthem from my J45 cause I love playing it out so much.
Plus I don't play acoustically much except to learn new songs or practice and I think it still sounds great acoustically with the Anthem SL.

The Yamaha makes a great spare gigging guitar or a good one for Open mics/jams and places/times I don't want to risk my J45.

My J45 is a keeper. I'm just trying to decide which 2nd guitar to keep....the Yamaha or my J15. I am kinda leaning towards the J15 and putting another Anthem SL in it, because the feel is so similar between it and the J45. The Yamaha with it's narrower string spacing and deep "C" neck feels pretty different than the Gibsons. It's going to be a difficult decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
They do get mentioned. The Yamaha system is highly regarded. I was impressed with the recording (and often am impressed with the IR systems). I think I might remove the Anthem from the Gibson and gig the Yamaha. Best of both worlds.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
You or me?

I'm not removing the Anthem from my J45 cause I love playing it out so much.
Plus I don't play acoustically much except to learn new songs or practice and I think it still sounds great acoustically with the Anthem SL.

The Yamaha makes a great spare gigging guitar or a good one for Open mics/jams and places/times I don't want to risk my J45.

My J45 is a keeper. I'm just trying to decide which 2nd guitar to keep....the Yamaha or my J15. I am kinda leaning towards the J15 and putting another Anthem SL in it, because the feel is so similar between it and the J45. The Yamaha with it's narrower string spacing and deep "C" neck feels pretty different than the Gibsons. It's going to be a difficult decision.
You won’t go wrong either way. The two Gibson’s are also a great choice and I agree that if you are happy then stick with the current pickup. There’s always a chance you will like the guitar less if you make changes.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:48 PM

The SRT2 definitely sounds better. It's weird, I tried the full Anthem and SL and just never bonded with them due to that tone you are getting in the video. It kind of reminds me of what the original Taylor Expression system sounded like. Just something odd going on. I never know how to explain it really.. maybe a mid range thing? Funny thing is, I tried the Lyric and although it ultimately didn't work due to not enough low end, it was one of my favourite systems to play. I still sometimes play around with a Lyric + K&K or LB6/Soloist system.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
The SRT2 definitely sounds better. It's weird, I tried the full Anthem and SL and just never bonded with them due to that tone you are getting in the video. It kind of reminds me of what the original Taylor Expression system sounded like. Just something odd going on. I never know how to explain it really.. maybe a mid range thing? Funny thing is, I tried the Lyric and although it ultimately didn't work due to not enough low end, it was one of my favourite systems to play. I still sometimes play around with a Lyric + K&K or LB6/Soloist system.
I have noticed that the mic trim, blend and sometimes external EQ has to be set right for the Anthem stuff but I find that to be true with most systems.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:50 AM

That's funny because I think the SRT2 and the Anthem sound really close in tone. I wonder what it is about the Anthem that you don't like? That "air-y" mic sound maybe? Also peculiar that you liked the Lyric, since it's very similar to the Anthem system except the mic handles all the frequencies. I would think the Lyric would sound very similar to the Anthem, especially when the Anthem is mixed more towards the mic.

But Aaron is correct...you can EQ each rsaw sound to your liking. These samples were taken just going straight into my powered speaker.

Quote:
Old 02-25-2020, 09:34 AM

The second recording is louder to my ears. We will usually report liking the louder stuff better. I think they sound very similar which is not a surprise because they are using similar technology.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The second recording is louder to my ears. We will usually report liking the louder stuff better. I think they sound very similar which is not a surprise because they are using similar technology.
Isn't the SRT2 more of an aura type of imaging? I was just looking at the piezo portion and it's too bad Yamaha doesn't sell this separately. Looks like a great alternative to the Soloist/LB6 as it utilizes the individual elements for each string approach.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Isn't the SRT2 more of an aura type of imaging? I was just looking at the piezo portion and it's too bad Yamaha doesn't sell this separately. Looks like a great alternative to the Soloist/LB6 as it utilizes the individual elements for each string approach.
Indeed, you're correct. I had mixed it up for the newer Atmosfeel system. They also make another analog system with piezo and mic, but I cannot remember the marketing name for that. This system is digital. I guess that's a impressive result considering no actual mic is present.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Indeed, you're correct. I had mixed it up for the newer Atmosfeel system. They also make another analog system with piezo and mic, but I cannot remember the marketing name for that. This system is digital. I guess that's a impressive result considering no actual mic is present.
I listened to a few of the SRT2 systems and for some reason, I like them a lot more than what I hear from the Aura or Tonedexter. The imaging seems to blend with the pickup in a more natural way. These Yamaha guitars are so affordable that I could see myself getting one for stage use in the near future.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I listened to a few of the SRT2 systems and for some reason, I like them a lot more than what I hear from the Aura or Tonedexter. The imaging seems to blend with the pickup in a more natural way. These Yamaha guitars are so affordable that I could see myself getting one for stage use in the near future.

They’re great! The only thing that made me return my A3R was the 1-11/16” nut. Perhaps they’ll make a different model in the future.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
They’re great! The only thing that made me return my A3R was the 1-11/16” nut. Perhaps they’ll make a different model in the future.
Yeah that would bother me as well! How did the SRT2 piezo sound on its own? Any different than a standard UST?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification