The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-10-2019, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Default First/Cheap Resonator Recos?

Anyone have some recommendations for a first time reso buyer? Looking to spend $500-$600 at the absolute most. Ideally would want something that's versatile so I can fingerpick, strum, play slide, whatever. Which I think means I'd want a tri-cone? But not quite sure what's realistic in my price range.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
Anyone have some recommendations for a first time reso buyer? Looking to spend $500-$600 at the absolute most. Ideally would want something that's versatile so I can fingerpick, strum, play slide, whatever. Which I think means I'd want a tri-cone? But not quite sure what's realistic in my price range.
Gretsch Boxcar.

Good luck finding a tricone for 5 bills.

Tricone = super long sustain.
Biscuit = fast decay with punch.
Spider= in between.

I've had mine for several years. Excellent tone,good action and a great player.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-11-2019, 12:04 AM

Pagedr:

Are you looking for a round neck or a square neck resonator?

Luke
Old 12-11-2019, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
Pagedr:

Are you looking for a round neck or a square neck resonator?

Luke
Looking for a round neck
Old 12-11-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Looking for a round neck
I just bought a Regal round neck for not much money, just to get my feet wet with the reso's.

Friend of mine has 2 regals that he upgraded the hardware in them and they sound very good to me.
Old 12-12-2019, 02:56 PM

Here's another vote for the Gretsch G9200 Boxcar. I picked one up recently and am quite amazed at it's tone and feel. If you want to hear what one sounds like in the hands of someone who can play, listen to Toby Walker's Youtube with the G9200. Bill
Old 12-12-2019, 06:47 PM

Gretsch Regal and Recording King all make entry level resonators in the $500 neighborhood. I had a Gretsch Honeydipper and Now have a Regal RD40 and can recommend both.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:44 PM

Recording king has a tri cone for about $1000. You might find one used in your price range. I've never played one so can't give an opinion on them.
I can say the Gretsch roots collection resos are good quality instruments for the money. I sold my Boxcar to a friend about 5 years ago and I'm still trying to buy it back. I had the alligator for a while and it was pretty good too.
You might already know this but there's a huge difference between a spider bridge and a biscuit bridge resonator. If you're buying online make sure you know which one you want before ordering.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:52 AM

I had one of the “Rogue” brand brass-bodied resonators (single cone) and it was quite nice. Very attractive (and quite heavy...), well set-up, sounded good.

Sold through Musicians Friend and Guitar Center... But I see that they are currently listed as “out of stock”.

Might find one somewhere.... Under 500.00
Old 12-14-2019, 12:49 PM

I bought a Gretsch Boxcar roundneck a few months ago. It's been years since I had a resonator (had a couple of Nationals and a Tut Taylor family made resonator), but the Gretsch is surprisingly good. You should be able to find one new for $400 and there are used ones available.

I have since found a good deal on a used American made Beard Deco Phonic that I like a little more, but the Gretsch is plenty good. It intonates well, plays nicely, can pop when you want it too, sounds very good strummed or picked, etc.

Believe it or not, the Gretsch plays/sounds a lot better than a new National Triolian wood body I tried recently. That might have just been a poor example.

If I were not exactly sure what I wanted -- spider bridge vs. biscuit bridge, a tricone, etc. -- I'd recommend a used Boxcar. I think it's a nice instrument and if you change directions, you should be able to recoup most of what you paid. I bet you'll be plenty happy with it.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Thanks all! Played a few in a local shop today and definitely think I'll end up going with a Gretsch. Played a Boxcar and a Bobtail that both sounded and played really nice. Likely will end up grabbing one of those in the next couple of weeks.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks all! Played a few in a local shop today and definitely think I'll end up going with a Gretsch. Played a Boxcar and a Bobtail that both sounded and played really nice. Likely will end up grabbing one of those in the next couple of weeks.
I bought a Recording King tricone
for $400.00 on Reverb.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:13 AM

Another vote for Gretsch Boxcar. I have owned National and Beard reso's which are great. I just didn't have the $$ so bought the Boxcar. It is a real deal...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments