The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-06-2019, 01:52 PM

Default Anyone play with Taylor Ivoroid 346 style 1.14mm picks?

I have pretty much settled in with Primetone 346 (large triangle, rounded points) 1.4mm picks, and I like them BUT they are hard to see when dropped!

I noticed when reading Taylor's Wood and Steel summer 2019 edition that they had a "Selecting the right pick" article and showed Taylor branded 346 1.14 mm Ivoroid picks as available.

Thinking, "I'll pick some up and try them..." I checked the Taylor website. They weren't listed. The ONLY place that I could find them available was Elderly, but there's shipping charges unless I want to order $75 worth...

Anyone else used these? If they are not going to be commonly available, then I don't want to fall in love and not be able to get more later, I'd just stick with the 1.4 mm Primetone 346's.

What gives?
Old 10-06-2019, 02:45 PM

Are you talking about the Taylor "Darktone" Thermex picks?

Sweetwater carries them.

Taylor Darktone 346

They are interesting. I found the "darktone" was an apt name. Though it might change if one did a bevel on them, as they come they are dark sounding compared to the Primetones. I've ended up using mine more often with electric guitar or even electric bass. I find them very similar to the D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5 346 pick, which might give you another source.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-06-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Are you talking about the Taylor "Darktone" Thermex picks?

Sweetwater carries them.

Taylor Darktone 346

They are interesting. I found the "darktone" was an apt name. Though it might change if one did a bevel on them, as they come they are dark sounding compared to the Primetones. I've ended up using mine more often with electric guitar or even electric bass. I find them very similar to the D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5 346 pick, which might give you another source.
Nope. Sweetwater is the first place I checked. Only Elderly has them as far as I can tell. Here's the link:

https://www.elderly.com/collections/...-1-21mm-6-pack
Old 10-06-2019, 08:09 PM

...They appear to be similar to the Gilchrist ivoroid picks at Carter's, but the Gilchrists are 1.5mm:

https://cartervintage.com/collection...-triangle-pick
Old 10-06-2019, 11:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
...They appear to be similar to the Gilchrist ivoroid picks at Carter's, but the Gilchrists are 1.5mm:

https://cartervintage.com/collection...-triangle-pick
I've heard good things about the Gilchrists. Does look like the same material.

sm
Old 06-15-2020, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

What’s the story on these Taylor ivoroid picks? Reviews?
Old 06-15-2020, 05:27 PM

I got mine on Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/31236622-tay...-1-21mm-6-pack

I've just started using them, but I've been looking for ivoroid picks since the La Conner Guitar Festival last year. One of the exhibitors was giving some out free, but in a more traditional shape.(These were not Taylors.) I really liked the way they interacted with the strings, but I've moved to triangular picks the past year, having acquired a couple BlueChip TP-40s and a couple Charmed Life nt-1.15s.

The Taylors are pretty darned amazing for a pick you can purchase a six-pack for $12. (For those who play banjo, that's two bucks per pick.)

I'm not quite ready to review them yet, because I've only been playing them for a few days. Right now my perfect pick would have the same shape, including bevels, of a BlueChip, with the grip holes of my Charmed Life Picks, and be made of ivoroid.

Anyway, for twelve bucks they're certainly worth a try.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:54 PM

Here's a visual comparison of the three picks I mentioned. Easy to pick which one you'd rather have to search for on a stage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0925 copy.jpg (39.2 KB, 79 views)
Old 06-18-2020, 01:25 PM

I ordered some from Ken Stanton Music here in Atlanta through their Reverb store. So far these have turned out to be really good picks for my playing style.

I tested them on five of my guitars and my opinion varied on all five, mostly my rosewood backed guitars. For what it's worth I usually play Primetone .88 -1.0 or Flow .88 -1.0 picks. When I'm feeling frisky I'll bump up to my 1.5 Primetones.

Taylor 414CE Custom Rosewoood - liked the Taylor pick the least on this guitar. Hard to pin it down but I lost some string definition, a bit clicky sounding. That guitar seems to like the Primetone .88 the best to my ear.

Gibson SJ200 -This is where the pick and guitar really came together. I couldn't stop playing this combination. With the maple b / s this was the best I have heard this guitar sound. I will be putting a set in this guy's case, just perfect for this guitar in my opinion. Bass is very strong but doesn't overpower the treble notes at all. Just a great tone.

Martin OM-35 - Almost but again I think the pick didn't like the rosewood. The guitar needs a set up so I probably shouldn't have added this one to the comparison.

Guild F50R - Blew my rosewood theory out of the water. The pick and guitar sounded really good together, exceptionally good to my ear. Powerful when hit but really sweet sounding when played gently. I'm putting a pack in this guy's case as well.

Gibson Hummingbird - This is where I thought these picks would shine, with the mahogany b /s. Did not disappoint at all. Really woke this guitar up after using the Primetones with it for quite a while. Actually had a hard time putting this combo down as well.

For the price, the feel and the really good tone I think they are definitely worth a try. Try as I might they would not slip out of my hand. My Primetones are always a fight, especially when I'm not quite warmed up. Granted the Primetones are 351 and the Taylors are 346 so quite a bit larger. I may have finally found the perfect fit for my SJ200.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion