The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-05-2019, 12:28 PM
Guest 33123

Default recommended electric string winder?

Hi guys,

I just changed strings on 5 guitars and using a hand crank string winder is getting pretty old. Based on your experience, what is your recommended electric string winder?
Old 10-05-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Ernie Ball.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Ernie Ball.
There are two EB models. The cheaper one isn't getting great reviews, unlike the professional version.

If I needed an electric winder I think I'd just get an attachment for my cordless drill. But I've changed my winding procedure for most strings and not longer feel the need...

... What I do now (having learned this from a professional technician) is pull the string relatively taught, wind each string around the post 2-3 times, more for the thinner strings), then shove the end through the tuner post at the top of the winds, pulling all the excess through. Then all it takes is two or three or four turns with my regular winder and the guitar is almost up to pitch. Also SO much faster than winding 40-60 revolutions for each string. Also with that method I'm not so inclined to put off string changes. I can get strings off in 2 minutes and back on in about 5.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-05-2019, 12:52 PM

Nine dollar Black & Decker cordless screwdriver and an adapter to use it for string winding.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BLACK-DE...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 10-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
There are two EB models. The cheaper one isn't getting great reviews, unlike the professional version.
Mine is years old. Red and black and power drill shaped, branded PowerPeg. Cost about $15-20 IIRC.

Quote:
If I needed an electric winder I think I'd just get an attachment for my cordless drill. But I've changed my winding procedure for most strings and not longer feel the need...

... What I do now (having learned this from a professional technician) is pull the string relatively taught, wind each string around the post 2-3 times, more for the thinner strings), then shove the end through the tuner post at the top of the winds, pulling all the excess through. Then all it takes is two or three or four turns with my regular winder and the guitar is almost up to pitch. Also SO much faster than winding 40-60 revolutions for each string. Also with that method I'm not so inclined to put off string changes. I can get strings off in 2 minutes and back on in about 5.
Interesting stringing technique you employ. Don't think I've ever seen that one. I'll have to give it a try.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:53 PM

I use these. Great with any house hold electric screwdriver like Walmart Black and Decker’s etc.

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...EZ-Winder.html

06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 10-05-2019, 12:57 PM

I’ve got an Ernie Ball Power Peg Pro.
It isn’t loads faster than the hand winder.
It is much easier on the hands.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 10-05-2019, 01:40 PM

Ernie Ball Power Peg Pro here also. I much prefer this to hand winding and fwiw, the tension that I apply is more consistent than hand-winding. The batteries seem to last forever. My only thoughts about electric screwdrivers and drills is that they always seem to lose their charge, just as I need them. AA batteries have their downside, but always are at the ready.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Ernie Ball.
Me too.....
Old 10-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I have a B&D power screwdriver with a tuner button attachment and an Ernie Ball Pro winder. Mostly use the screwdriver...but both work great.

Old 10-05-2019, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

This is my choice.

This comes with a charging cradle and a set of screw bits and stuff, and with a stewmac string winder bit - it does everything I ask - plus driving in screws.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:10 PM
Guest 33123

Thanks guys for all the suggestions!
Old 10-05-2019, 02:13 PM

I have the cheap Ernie Ball winder. It has worked fine for me for quite a few guitars and a few years of service. I might get the pro winder later but I don't need it now.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

I have one of the cheaper Ernie Ball winders - green and black, takes AA batteries rather than rechargeable. It's fine, but I actually find that for paddle heads, I'm faster with one of these Music Nomad winders than I am with the power winder. I accidentally discovered these pretty recently and it's an awesome little tool - you'd think a winder is a winder, but this is faster and easier and it never bumps into adjacent tuning keys. Good basic design.

So I wasn't using the power winder and thought I'd get rid of it, but then I got a slot-head guitar and for THOSE, the power winder is invaluable. Something about the angle coming at it from below that makes using any manual winder a real pain in the behind. So I use the manual winder for my three paddle head guitars (two electric, one acoustic), and the power winder for my sloshed...

71x9wPDpoqL._SL1500_ by Ray, on Flickr
Old 10-05-2019, 02:54 PM

Cordless rechargeable screw driver - not a drill.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion