The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-16-2019, 06:05 AM

The band/individual, genre, age, instrumentation, etc... mean nothing to me at all.

In fact the only things that really matter to me are, the melody, the feel/groove, and/or the message. Has to have two out of the three, but hey, that's just me.
Larrivee L-03
Alvarez AP66ESHB
Guild "Madeira" A-20
Fender Kingman
A few Strats
Couple of Tele's
Aria Pro II Stray Cat
Godin Triumph
Old 10-16-2019, 08:12 AM

I just want to clarify the original post.

If you want to consider WHY "old people" hate new music, you first have to presupposed THAT "old people" hate new music. Or replace the word "hate" with something less triggering. It was language chosen by a 14-year old girl.

I personally do not presuppose this. I only posted the link because it was a question that was posed by said 14-year old girl, who, by virtue of asking the question, had enough experience to form her own opinion that "old people" hate new music.

What I found interesting was the response of the psychologist who attempted to present theories to explain the presupposition. Some were certainly common sense, others less so, at least in my opinion.

I have enjoyed the responses and perspectives of the individuals who posted here, and am going to continue to challenge my own preconceived notions of music as I listen and play.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 10-16-2019, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
In my opinion, I completely agree that it doesn't matter what date a song was created. Based on your last sentence I would ask, why is it a negative to like new music? Why do so many assume that new = bad?
That was the OP question and I turned it around. Now you are turning it back around to the OP. I don't see any reason to continue.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-16-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
If you want to consider WHY "old people" hate new music, you first have to presupposed THAT "old people" hate new music. Or replace the word "hate" with something less triggering. It was language chosen by a 14-year old girl...
Keep in mind that a 14 year-old might identify an "old person" as anybody older than 21 years. For that matter, a 14 year-old probably has a totally different definition of "new music" than most, if not all of us...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-17-2019, 02:47 PM

I played Captain Beefheart's "Lick My Decals Off, Baby" to some teenagers the other day.

They hated it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic