The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2019, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Short Scale/Standard Scale?

I'm really curious about sting tension. On a Martin short scale (24.9") guitar is the difference roughly the same as a standard scale (25.4") in string tension. I read on the D'Addario site I believe the difference was about 20 lbs. based on .013's over .012's. So does that translate to 20 lbs. on a short scale Martin as well?

Trying to decide if a set of medium gauge strings would tax the 1/4" bracing on a 12 fret short scale 000.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-04-2019, 08:46 PM

On short scale string tension is approx. 3,9% less than on long scale.

(24,9/25,4)^2
Old 10-05-2019, 06:56 AM

I have a 000 short scale, but I've never tried medium strings on the guitar. The safest answer is to email Martin and ask them. I always found them pretty good on answering email.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-05-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I'm really curious about sting tension. On a Martin short scale (24.9") guitar is the difference roughly the same as a standard scale (25.4") in string tension. I read on the D'Addario site I believe the difference was about 20 lbs. based on .013's over .012's. So does that translate to 20 lbs. on a short scale Martin as well?

Trying to decide if a set of medium gauge strings would tax the 1/4" bracing on a 12 fret short scale 000.
Check out D'Adarrio's string tension site. I ran a medium set thru the app and the difference between 24.9" and 25.4" was about 4.8%.

String tension for the std scale was 175.8 lbs versus 167.71 lb for the short scale

http://stringtensionpro.com/Home
Old 10-05-2019, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I have a 000 short scale, but I've never tried medium strings on the guitar. The safest answer is to email Martin and ask them. I always found them pretty good on answering email.
Hi m-man

I've never bothered about changing strings on a 24.8" or 24.9" versus a 25.4" or 25.5" scale guitar. I doubt it would do harm, but there's no sense taking chances.

But when you have a really short parlor with a scale which falls closer to 22-24" then mediums strings can be used and it improves the action for playing.

The Baby Taylor has a has a 22¾" scale (not to be confused with the Big Baby Taylor with 25.4" scale). Mine came from Taylor strung with medium strings and the action felt normal.

I have played even shorter scale parlor guitars from the early 1900s to 1920s, which were often reworked to take steel strings instead of nylon. Even when strung with light gauge (.012-.053) the action was very soft. Reinforced bracing, and short scale makes the switch possible.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-05-2019, 09:22 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post

Before you go full mediums have you considered just using the 13 17 and 56?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-06-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I don't believe the scale of guitars has ever been standardized.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-06-2019, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I don't believe the scale of guitars has ever been standardized.
Hi Mr J

You are probably right, but aspects of it have been patented. When my Bashkin fanned fret was built, we paid a license fee to Ralph Novak. It was $75 at the time, and I think he has since ceased charging it.

He patented the idea in 1989. But it dealt with the concept of multi-scale guitars, not the actual length of scale.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-06-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Before you go full mediums have you considered just using the 13 17 and 56?
True Mediums are quickly becoming my favorite gauge for meatier tone and playability. Or New Mediums-- see what I did there?
Old 10-06-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Whatever the numbers say, I've played a number of short and full scale Martins back to back and, assuming the same strings, I've never been able to feel a difference. In either tension or reach. That half inch just doesn't seem to matter much to me. If you gave me a blindfold test I'd fail.

I have a 24" scale guitar and THAT feels very short, a really notable difference, but oddly seems about the same difference from a 24.9" as a 25.4" scale. I play lights on everything. I tried mediums on my 24" scale because I thought they'd play fine and sound better. They played fine but sounded worse - way worse in this particular case. So back to lights...

-Ray
Old 10-06-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

I bought this 12 fret 000-18 knowing it has a 24.9" scale and also knowing I prefer standard 25.4" scale so after installing a set of EJ-17's it feels much better to me. Seems to bring out the voice of the guitar a little more. Maybe that's just what I think I hear...I don't know. I do know I like it much better with a set of .013's on it.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I tried mediums on my 24" scale because I thought they'd play fine and sound better. They played fine but sounded worse - way worse in this particular case. So back to lights...

-Ray
I think we had discussed Sunbeams and that the lights were even better than mediums. After trying mediums on my OF660 I went to lights. No negative trade-offs for a more playable set. The Journey is 24.5" and light Sunbeams
work well-- although I always use a .013 and .017 replacement on my light sets
with shorter scale guitars.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I think we had discussed Sunbeams and that the lights were even better than mediums. After trying mediums on my OF660 I went to lights. No negative trade-offs for a more playable set. The Journey is 24.5" and light Sunbeams
work well-- although I always use a .013 and .017 replacement on my light sets
with shorter scale guitars.
Yep, that was the case with Sunbeams on my X7. I tried it with Monels and the 13s sounded fine, but no better, so I went back to lights with those too. And on my 000-15SM, with a full scale, definitely lights.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion