The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2019, 03:59 PM

99% acoustic. I still have two electrics, Tele and Les Paul, I occasionally plug them in, but they don't seem to do much for me anymore. I often think of selling them, but keep them just in case.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:11 PM

I started out in the early 80s with an Electra and Crate amp. Mid 80s bought a cheap Eterna (Yamaha) acoustic. Since then I've accumulated some nice American made Gibsons, Fenders, and Martins along with many foreign made guitars of both types. I'm an acoustic player and that's really all I've played out with, but keep some inexpensive and modified electrics out also to have fun with on a semi-regular basis. It's just fun to play a good humbucker guitar through a tube amp with some gain. Play what you like when the mood hits you - this brings me happiness.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Don't even own an electric. But even once in a while I think about a nice Tele?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-02-2019, 06:35 PM

I currently play 70% acoustics and 30% my Tele. But, to be clear: I approach my electric like an acoustic. I string it up with 12’s like my small-body acoustics, so they have a similar feel. I dig in and get my sound the same way - sometimes I’m driving a ‘46 J-45; sometimes I’m driving a big-necked Tele through a Tweed Deluxe replica. It’s all good.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
I’ve been playing acoustic since 1964. I don’t now, nor have I ever, own an acoustic guitar.
Think you mean electric Raf

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 10-02-2019, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Dylan, The Beatles and Paul Simon/S&G led me to acoustic guitar. I’ve owned a few electrics and hardly ever touched them.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 10-02-2019, 08:12 PM

Exclusively acoustic. I use a mike when I perform. I have never owned or played an electric or even a guitar with a factory pickup.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:01 PM
Get off my lawn kid

100% unplugged acoustic.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-02-2019, 09:34 PM

Am I PRIMARILY and acoustic player? As far as guitar goes... maybe. All my electrics are cased and in the closet while my acoustics and basses hang on the wall. I've been putting in a lot of time working on my bass chops as there are more jobs available for bass players who can read. I guess I'm primarily whatever the next gig calls for .
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-02-2019, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Since returning from my 10 year hiatus (2005-2015), I've played almost exclusively acoustic guitars. Last year, I picked up a used electric and a new Helix LT, but I haven't given either as much attention as I should. After a long work day, there's something very therapeutic about disconnecting and picking up an acoustic guitar, and plugging back into an electric feels counter-productive to that end.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:39 PM

I’m mostly an acoustic player these days. I enjoy coming up with finger-style chord progressions on acoustic then recording melodies and licks over them with electric and lap steel. Acoustics are easy to grab and great for composing and accompanying voice; the contrast and sustain of an electric is a satisfying combination. Keys and bass come last.
Taylor 562ce 12-string
Old 10-02-2019, 09:40 PM

I consider myself a composer, which sounds pretentious, but by that I mean that much of my playing is part of creating new pieces and for convivence's sake (if nothing else) I'm playing all the instruments that express those parts.

A great many guitarist/songwriters compose on acoustic even if they play the results on electric later in performance. In my younger days that's what I did too. But in recent years, for me compositions start everywhere including instruments like the piano that I can hardly play, or with orchestra instruments I play via MIDI. In my current phase I tended to compose guitar parts on electric guitar, because it was handy and could be played silently. I'd sometimes play those parts discovered/written on electric on acoustic later.

However the way an electric guitar reacts is not like a typical flat-top acoustic. I found that some parts didn't translate well to acoustic. This year I made the decision to possibly "sacrifice" an acoustic guitar that will stay out of its case and ready to grab next the desk where I compose most of the time.

Now in terms of playing time for guitar, I'm about a third acoustic vs. electric (my guitar/MIDI interfaces are on electric guitars, which skews things a bit). Before deciding that I'd keep an acoustic out of it's case and ready to grab for a "would this work?" or "what should I start with today?" moments acoustic got less than 20% of my playing time because I had to consciously decide to compose on acoustic.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-02-2019, 10:09 PM

Only an acoustic player
Old 10-03-2019, 04:34 AM

I'm a musician who goes from instrument to instrument.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Am I PRIMARILY and acoustic player? As far as guitar goes... maybe. All my electrics are cased and in the closet while my acoustics and basses hang on the wall. I've been putting in a lot of time working on my bass chops as there are more jobs available for bass players who can read. I guess I'm primarily whatever the next gig calls for .
Your ACOUSTIC basses hang on the wall? I'd like to see that!

I am assuming you are like me and consider that an electric bass guitar is an member of the guitar family. Conversely, an acoustic bass is a rather large violin.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion