The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2019, 10:12 AM

Default Martin needs to stop the foolishness!

they are getting to be as bad as Harley with all the different models and nomenclature. Can't we just go back to the basics? D18, D28, OM, 000-18/28?
Why are all the other's needed?
Old 10-02-2019, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Because they sell alot of those other models - and they exist to build and sell guitars.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 10-02-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Because they sell alot of those other models - and they exist to build and sell guitars.
That pretty much sums it up. If people didn't buy them, they'd stop making them. Simple formula.

The less expensive models allow people to buy a guitar that says "Since 1833" on the head without having to spend as much on more expensive "traditional" models. Same as Rolex, BMW, Harley ... Generally, people want to buy famous/exclusive brand names. If the famous/exclusive brands offer goods at entry-level prices, it's a win-win for buyer and manufacturer: the buyer gets goods branded with the desired name and the manufacturer sells more goods.

Having lots of models from which to chose is a form of "mass customization" and allows the consumer to feel that he or she can get a customized product at mass-produced cost.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
they are getting to be as bad as Harley with all the different models and nomenclature. Can't we just go back to the basics? D18, D28, OM, 000-18/28?
Why are all the other's needed?
Because you aren't the only one who buys guitars??

Did I win for "best answer".

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-02-2019, 10:25 AM

Because my D-41 has to have a number too!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 10-02-2019, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Good point. As someone who is still relatively new to guitar (but not to music playing low brass for decades), one of several factors (including cost) for me in choosing my first US made instrument was did I really understand what I was buying. And based on Martin's website/catalogs alone, I found that I didn't have a clue what any of the nomenclature meant. The Martin website/promotional materials are not nearly as helpful to a beginner as compared to Taylor. Taylor lays out their different series in a very logical, well thought-out way, and I suppose Martin's long history may behind part of this. But very little descriptions about dreadnoughts versus OMs, 000s, jumbos, etc. If you know the line well, then it is obvious that none of this matters, but why not try to educate those of us who haven't been playing these models for years? I've been able to deduce a few things from some youtube videos, but Martin should be leading the charge there - plus it makes good business sense. I'm convinced that Martin's lack of clear descriptions like Taylor is costing them in sales for their made-in-Mexico guitars. For example, how many guitar consumers know that Martin has an all-solid wood construction line (made in Mexico) that competes in price with the Taylor layered wood line?

Martin - if you are listening - step it up!
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 10-02-2019, 10:28 AM

Believe it or not, the wide spread of choice is necessary to keep them in business. Computer aided manufacturing has allowed for this expansion of choice while maintaining it as an efficient process. There have been countless companies in history who have remained true to their origins and traditions that have fallen by the wayside. The consumer driven free market economy is based on growth - contraction leads to failure. Martin seeks to hit the market at every conceivable price point and feature option to remain competitive.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post

Got my vote!
Old 10-02-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Because my D-41 has to have a number too!!
Good point there also - and even though I recently switched from Taylor to Martin, I still have no idea about what the differences are between my HD-28 and a D-41, or even a D-45 for that matter. Differences in bling are obvious, but Martin certainly doesn't do a good job of explaining the different grades of wood, subtle differences in bracing, etc. that separate these models. Although I switched from Taylor to Martin because of the increased tone and resonance, I think Taylor could teach Martin a thing or two about educating newer players like me about their offerings.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 10-02-2019, 10:34 AM

How about a Martin Custom Shop from your Birth Year? Built they same way it would have been then.

Make mine a 1955 D 18.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Are we advocating for LESS choices now?
Old 10-02-2019, 10:41 AM

Believe it or not, they simplified their lines this year. They renamed all the road series so the naming convention lines up with their other models. Lower number generally means more basic while higher numbers are more bling.

The new names are something like D-10, D-12, etc. to go along with the old favorites like D-18, D-28, D-45, etc.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-02-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post

I'm thinking that this might be the best answer.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

I don’t mind having a lot of choices, but agree that the way the models are presented makes it really hard to figure out the differences.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 10-02-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneuphtoner View Post
Good point there also - and even though I recently switched from Taylor to Martin, I still have no idea about what the differences are between my HD-28 and a D-41, or even a D-45 for that matter. Differences in bling are obvious, but Martin certainly doesn't do a good job of explaining the different grades of wood, subtle differences in bracing, etc. that separate these models. Although I switched from Taylor to Martin because of the increased tone and resonance, I think Taylor could teach Martin a thing or two about educating newer players like me about their offerings.
I'm with you on this 100%! My D-41 is my first Martin coming from a strictly Taylor background and I had to make a thread on here asking for the differences since I was lost! Thanks to the great folks here on AGF and by doing some research, I have a better understanding of their guitars, but I'm still clueless to most of it. I had Taylor guitars number systems down to a tee and even did a powerpoint lesson on it for an Instructor Development class I was attending!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion