The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

View Poll Results: Would we be better off without Smartphones?
Yes 39 42.86%
No 52 57.14%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2019, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

My iPhone is in constant use, and it's mostly productive. It affords me nearly unlimited streaming music, text / iMessages with anyone (friends, family, co-workers) around the world, FaceTime closes the gap of those same friends and family, instant access to work and personal email, instant updates on everything from finances to security alarm notifications at our rental property 4000 miles away, health tracking (weight, blood sugar, food, exercise), instant updates on my kids' school (grades, comms with teachers, alerts), real estate info, shopping lists (groceries, home improvement, Costco), neighborhood info and alerts, weather warnings, and the list goes on. It's my only alarm clock, and I use it for reminders, timers, and alarms for everything from getting up to taking medicine. I have over a dozen active calendars, keeping my work, home, and rental businesses well organized and current. I use it for driving directions, which not only gets me to the right place, it also avoids traffic issues that would slow me down.

And I have plenty of fun with it too. I connect with friends and family all over the world via social media, genealogical services (Ancestry, 23&me). But I realize that those things can be a huge time suck, so I am mindful of how much time I spend there (Screen Time feature makes that easier).

My iPhone is without a doubt the most used device I've ever owned, and my life is infinitely better for it. Sure, there are drawbacks and screen addiction is real, but the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

Sometimes, I even make a call on my iPhone!

(kidding about that last part... I make several hours of work calls each week, plus call my non-connected family weekly)
Old 10-03-2019, 07:24 AM

No.

I do have my concerns about longterm effects on individuals and on society at large, as we descend more and more into what I call "third universe" focal states rather than putting our awareness on (1) the physical world we share and (2) the internal world we can only access via meditation and similar techniques. But nobody else seems worried, so I usually keep my mouth shut.

Meanwhile, my wife and I are slow starters. Got our first mobile dumb phones...oh, maybe eight years ago. Used 'em only for traveling/emergencies, so hardly any at all. Then, for a variety of reasons, we decided to emerge from the dark ages about a year ago. Her clients complained that she was not accessible via text, and I kept getting harangued by investment firms who insisted on mobile phone access as a secondary verification for sign-in to our online accounts. So...Purchased iPhone 8 Plus models (outright) and signed up for T-Mobile "two lines with everything senior plan." We do use the GPS and map apps for traveling, which is convenient. My wife has turned into a texting fiend and trolls the NBA and Spurs apps pretty constantly. Me, no texting, no music, no movie streaming, no social media...just calls, check email when I'm not near a computer, and (oh, the ignominy!) games. Not VR/3D/Zap Aliens games, either...just old school stuff. Scrabble knockoffs. "Block" puzzles (which I characterize as "static Tetris"). Gin rummy.

I swear, I think I'm turning into a 21st century version of the old farts I grew up seeing in every small town Texas domino parlor, whose lives revolve around beer and Moon and 42.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
My iPhone is in constant use, and it's mostly productive. It affords me nearly unlimited streaming music, text / iMessages with anyone (friends, family, co-workers) around the world, FaceTime closes the gap of those same friends and family, instant access to work and personal email, instant updates on everything from finances to security alarm notifications at our rental property 4000 miles away, health tracking (weight, blood sugar, food, exercise), instant updates on my kids' school (grades, comms with teachers, alerts), real estate info, shopping lists (groceries, home improvement, Costco), neighborhood info and alerts, weather warnings, and the list goes on. It's my only alarm clock, and I use it for reminders, timers, and alarms for everything from getting up to taking medicine. I have over a dozen active calendars, keeping my work, home, and rental businesses well organized and current. I use it for driving directions, which not only gets me to the right place, it also avoids traffic issues that would slow me down.

And I have plenty of fun with it too. I connect with friends and family all over the world via social media, genealogical services (Ancestry, 23&me). But I realize that those things can be a huge time suck, so I am mindful of how much time I spend there (Screen Time feature makes that easier).

My iPhone is without a doubt the most used device I've ever owned, and my life is infinitely better for it. Sure, there are drawbacks and screen addiction is real, but the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

Sometimes, I even make a call on my iPhone!

(kidding about that last part... I make several hours of work calls each week, plus call my non-connected family weekly)
You in essence bring up productivity and your rental business even thought much of it is about personal stuff. World-wide and for many much of that productivity is vital for having a better living.

Railing against them might be parallel to those who were reactionary when industrial and engineered products changed agriculture and transportation.

The technology so many have in their hands is probably unhinging us from a whole lot of long-running constraints and be part of new levels efficiency and productivity. More than the US, I saw how it's banking and finance on my last trips outside the US. Some apps I use personally and deploy to our staff really give people whole new capabilities if not skill sets.

With so many responding against them I wonder if they are responses by people who haven't seen the broad use, the way mobile technology is in the work place, or a Luddite sort of outlook.

This productivity is stuff I see in the gig economy as much as in an enterprise.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Well, since you asked: No, I've never been in a situation where answering a question was so critical, or I was lost so hopelessly or needed to be in touch with anyone so quickly that the only reasonable solution would have been owning a smartphone.

As for there being "SO many more reasons to own one than not", perhaps there are SO many more reasons for YOU to own one than not, but I assure you that doesn't necessarily apply to me or my situation.

A smartphone is a convenience, I consider my car, my house and my guitars to be essentials in my life. I'll pick and choose my conveniences based on my personal hierarchy of needs, as should everyone. I'm happy for you that you have found that owning a smartphone is something that makes your life better. For me that's just not the case.
So I take it you're retired or only working part time, don't travel to places you're unfamiliar with and don't partake in conversations with a temporal requirement. Unfortunately most of us out here do not live like that. We have jobs and families and commitments we must remain constantly vigilant over and in communication with. Your car is as much of a convenience as the smartphone...or maybe you'd like to take that up with your local horse and buggy owner. I wish my life was so simple I didn't need a smartphone but that's just not reality. For ME as you said but I suspect also for 90% of the population that owns them. YMMV
Old 10-03-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
No.

I do have my concerns about longterm effects on individuals and on society at large, as we descend more and more into what I call "third universe" focal states rather than putting our awareness on (1) the physical world we share and (2) the internal world we can only access via meditation and similar techniques. But nobody else seems worried, so I usually keep my mouth shut.

Meanwhile, my wife and I are slow starters. Got our first mobile dumb phones...oh, maybe eight years ago. Used 'em only for traveling/emergencies, so hardly any at all. Then, for a variety of reasons, we decided to emerge from the dark ages about a year ago. Her clients complained that she was not accessible via text, and I kept getting harangued by investment firms who insisted on mobile phone access as a secondary verification for sign-in to our online accounts. So...Purchased iPhone 8 Plus models (outright) and signed up for T-Mobile "two lines with everything senior plan." We do use the GPS and map apps for traveling, which is convenient. My wife has turned into a texting fiend and trolls the NBA and Spurs apps pretty constantly. Me, no texting, no music, no movie streaming, no social media...just calls, check email when I'm not near a computer, and (oh, the ignominy!) games. Not VR/3D/Zap Aliens games, either...just old school stuff. Scrabble knockoffs. "Block" puzzles (which I characterize as "static Tetris"). Gin rummy.

I swear, I think I'm turning into a 21st century version of the old farts I grew up seeing in every small town Texas domino parlor, whose lives revolve around beer and Moon and 42.
Investment firms prodding or requiring two or multi factor authentication are just looking out for you. If you don't understand that you should pay some attention to password management and accounts hygiene. You don't want anything easy or even possible if you have accounts with assets someone else can acquire. There's a lot of good content out there to help you learn.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Smartphones? No, they are fine.
Stupidity that allows people to fixate on their phones and ignore the world around them? Yes, we could do with out it, but you can't fix stupid.
Obsession with instantaneous sharing? Yes.

It's the behavior, not the instrument.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

You have to define "better"

If better means "more informed, more connected, more efficient" then yes

If better means "more peaceful, happy, content, and caring" then no

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-03-2019, 12:27 PM

I rarely use mine for anything other that it's phone capability, which isn't very good. I use an iPad for other phone-like activities.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

All I know is I got one, use it often, but don't seem any smarter. But I sure look up to date being just as dumb.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-03-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Like so many towns and cities across the USA, the little town I live near (I live out in the country) has a major homeless problem. I have been involved in a lot of projects to help the homeless, and I have found it interesting that here are these people, fallen on hard times, people who (presumably) can't afford a place to live to get out of the weather, but who just about all have smart phones.

My wife carries a paper bag in her car and when she picks up our grandson (now age 13 in the 8th grade) from school, if he is staring at his cell phone when she is driving him home, she requires that he puts the phone in the bag for the duration of the trip. She requires him to actually carry on a conversation. This procedure has worked quite well, I think for both of them.

I use a smart phone and it helps me a great deal, though I am certainly no power user. I could use it more, but since I have access to really good computers, I don't use the smart phone like some do. Like just about any technology, it has its positives and negatives.

- Glenn
Old 10-03-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Like so many towns and cities across the USA, the little town I live near (I live out in the country) has a major homeless problem. I have been involved in a lot of projects to help the homeless, and I have found it interesting that here are these people, fallen on hard times, people who (presumably) can't afford a place to live to get out of the weather, but who just about all have smart phones.

My wife carries a paper bag in her car and when she picks up our grandson (now age 13 in the 8th grade) from school, if he is staring at his cell phone when she is driving him home, she requires that he puts the phone in the bag for the duration of the trip. She requires him to actually carry on a conversation. This procedure has worked quite well, I think for both of them.

I use a smart phone and it helps me a great deal, though I am certainly no power user. I could use it more, but since I have access to really good computers, I don't use the smart phone like some do. Like just about any technology, it has its positives and negatives.

- Glenn
I do a lot of volunteer work and the enterprise where I manage technology tries hard to employee the homeless and people with special needs. I see the smart phones are required just to check a work schedule or your pay stubs and in some places the libraries are no longer friendly to homeless people to also create a need. A friend who volunteers at a shelter just for alcohol and drug issues says the phones are important tools if only because you can hardly find a payphone.

We're at a time when it's harder and often more expensive to get a land line.

I've traveled outside the US and poor areas and observed tourists daft to "Why do they all have smart phones?". They are idiots to think a private firm or government and landlords are going to put in copper infrastructure over wireless. Most people do not buy the $1000 and more flagship phones.
Old 10-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
All I know is I got one, use it often, but don't seem any smarter. But I sure look up to date being just as dumb.
The phones are smart not the users. There's no help for them.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-03-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
The phones are smart not the users. There's no help for them.
Well dang I was so hoping I could trade it for a dumb phone so I could be smart

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-03-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
- Glenn
Rent is generally much more than the cost of monthly service. Also, these people are basically "at risk" (of being attacked, robbed, etc) just about 24 hours a day 7 days a week. It's good that they can call for help if they need it.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Rent is generally much more than the cost of monthly service. Also, these people are basically "at risk" (of being attacked, robbed, etc) just about 24 hours a day 7 days a week. It's good that they can call for help if they need it.
My wife and kids were discussing "Dean or desk." last night. For at risk kids the phones are so important kids who do not always behave do choose to put them on her desk. For some of her kids they are tool the kids use to best address shelter, not get raped and decent eats.

At work I thought of this post when I see managers or for some the assistants or social workers make sure the people with special needs have there phones with them and secured in a pocket when they leave.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic