The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 04-20-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Default ***SOLD***. 2012 Gibson Woody Guthrie SJ

Hi All,

I'm offering my wonderful 2012 Gibson Woody Guthrie SJ for sale. Long story short, I suffered some irreversible hearing loss last year, and it completely changed the spectrum of tones I can now hear. As a result, I have decided to sell some guitars that I previously loved the sound of (primarily mahogany guitars), because I can no longer hear all the tones and nuances that made me enjoy them so much.

This beautiful guitar is a discontinued model, and according to Gibson Customer Service, is one of a limited production run of less than 300 produced in total. It is similar in construction to a standard J-45, except for the upgraded vintage tuners, split parallelogram fingerboard inlays, belly down bridge, banner headstock logo, bone nut & saddle, upgraded L.R. Baggs pickup, and higher grade Honduran mahogany. In addition, I replaced the stock plastic bridge pins with bone bridge pins from Bob Colosi, and added a grained ivoroid strap button to the treble side of the heel.

The guitar is 7-years old and has been played, but it's in excellent condition overall. There are two impressions--one on the top and one on the back--that are shown in the close-up pictures below (which I needed to hold at the right angle to reflect the light in order to photograph them). Aside from that, there are a few random small finish scuffs on the back, side, and headstock, that I was not able to photograph; however, most folks would consider them to be totally insignificant. These could easily be buffed out, and I mention them only in the interest of full disclosure.

I'm the original owner of this guitar, and it has been stored in a smoke-free, humidity & temperature controlled environment its entire life. It hasn't been gigged aside from being used to lead worship services off and on for a few years. The frets are in excellent shape, it has a nice tall saddle, the neck angle, relief, and action are great (3/32" & 2/32" @ 12th fret), and it plays like a dream. It's truly a wonderful guitar with classic Gibson tone; and to my eye, just a gorgeous instrument to look at.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 05-09-2019 at 04:14 PM. Reason: updated for clarity
Old 04-20-2019, 10:21 PM

Ya i had one of these and they are really beautifull sounding guitars. I unfortunately I just had too many similar mahogany gibsons so I traded mine for an hd-28. gibson sure did a good job with these ones.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Weekend bump for a great Gibson SJ...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars