The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-02-2019, 06:14 AM

Default Daddystovepipe

I came across some mind blowing instructional videos by this guy. It’s what I’ve personally been searching for for years! He covers a wide range of blues and country mostly played fingerstyle. From what I saw, most of his “song packs” are 3 or 4 songs for the equivalent of $15 USD (he’s based in Holland but PayPal coverts the Euro charges). Never heard of him before but his arrangements are stellar and he breaks them down so well the included tablature really isn’t necessary. I’ll be stocking up on a lot of his stuff, as well as ordering more Toby Walker dvd’s as soon as my sizeable accident settlement arrives. You might check him out if you don’t already know who he is. Very invigorating playing style. He says there’s no scales, etc, just learning songs like the old bluesmen did.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Dave, that's interesting because I ran across him years ago and found some blues stuff I really liked. Then somewhere down the road, I kinda lost track of him. So, I'm glad to be reminded. Maybe folks can find some good videos. Thanks for the post.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

He has a nice arrangement of "When I'm 64" which I should dig out and finally get under my fingers. I'll be 64 in March. I guess its time to learn it

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:32 AM

He’s been my favorite for years! There are many cool things about him. One is that he not only plays the blues really well, but sings authentically - despite the fact that he’s Belgian, and has a Belgian accent when speaking English. Another really cool thing about him is that he’s doing this all for the love of it. He does sell some tabs, but for a nominal price - mostly just to cover his cost. The rest is just free. From what I read, he doesn’t play out - he’s strictly a self-produced internet phenomenon, recording and producing from home. He’s retired (I think I read he worked in retail), and does this all as a hobby, to share his passion.

I wonder if this is what the future looks like for music...
Old 02-05-2019, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

I've subbed to Daddy Stovepipe for a long time, I don't copy his style, but enjoy his playing and his conversational style.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:20 AM

I first picked up a ukulele 5 years ago and it was his blues ukulele tabs that really turned my attention to old style finger picking blues. I soon ran out of his ukulele tabs and so went out and bought a guitar. Now it's what I mainly play (except on a flamenco guitar). However, most of my current repertoire comes from lessons from Stefan Grossman's site.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 02-05-2019 at 09:02 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write