The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2019, 05:57 PM

I have a couple electrics, but I never learned how to play them.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-05-2019, 05:11 AM

I have several electrics , but really playing acoustic is where you’ll find me these days.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:24 AM

At the moment. I haven't been in a band for a long time. The acoustic guitar stands alone much better than electric guitar or bass. I had previously spent about 10 years on bass and another 10 playing mostly electric guitar.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I play and love both.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-05-2019, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

I played a lot of electric when I was younger and always thought that was the path I was headed down. Around '01 I was stationed in Montana while in the Air Force and my roommate was from VA. He gave me a copy of Dave and Tim: Live at Luther College and I was hooked. I found a DVD of Neil Young's Unplugged show and that pushed me over the edge.

Since then, I've done a few electric shows and played electric as a session player, but it's primarily been acoustic.

I am itching to get some sort of semi-hollow again soon though...
Old 10-05-2019, 06:59 AM

all acoustic. I had a Strat and a Les Paul several years ago, hardly ever touched them. Gave the Strat to my granddaughter and sold the LP.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Yes, mostly acoustic. The electrics I have are for occasional recording needs. I’d probably sell a couple but two Fenders are “partscasters” that I built with my kids so they’re special (and play/sound great also).
Old 10-05-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I have a couple electrics, but I never learned how to play them.
I have lots of electrics and one acoustic which I am trying to learn how to play.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com
Old 10-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
At the moment. I haven't been in a band for a long time. The acoustic guitar stands alone much better than electric guitar or bass. I had previously spent about 10 years on bass and another 10 playing mostly electric guitar.
True, but with an electric guitar and a looper, you’re never alone! And basic loopers are cheap...
Old 10-05-2019, 04:06 PM

Just acoustic. Bought and sold the electrics. I need to feel the heft and resistance of acoustic strings. I don't have the touch for electric action and string flex.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Just acoustic. Bought and sold the electrics. I need to feel the heft and resistance of acoustic strings. I don't have the touch for electric action and string flex.
That is exactly my problem. I tend to try to play them like acoustics and that doesn't work very well. It's a whole different kind of thing.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:47 PM

I go through phases - while there is a seasonal temperature and humidity change going on right now that is affecting the acoustics, it’s been a refreshing experience to be on a fender fretboard and amplifier and appreciating the light touch and power lately.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Some years ago I realized I'm an acoustic player, not an electric player. I have a closetful of electrics that I never play and should probably sell. I concentrate solely on acoustic now.

What about the rest of you? Solely acoustic? Primarily acoustic? Half and half acoustic and electric? Something else?
I'm led by the music in my head. I love both and can't do without either one. I'm on an acoustic run but the electric sound is coming on.😉
Old 10-06-2019, 05:57 PM

.....yep.....

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 10-06-2019, 07:12 PM

Default the pain of going from electric to acoustic.

I've been playing (home recording and bands before that), electric...keyboards,bass ect forever...I have recently developed an interest in acoustic and have been playing and stuff...At this point with just an acoustic guitar there is no place to hide your lack of technique...OUCH.....HOWEVER...for some reason I love strumming with my thumb and one finger approach vs. a pick... I realized...i think this is what its about..YOUR enjoyment and stress reliever....not getting big projects done. Did a version of ELP's Xmas song and discovered the "wonderfulness" of drop D tuning...started to listening to Bert Jancz..(BlackWater Side)...doing that kind of stuff. No I can't play like Bert!

Oh and you learn about your lack of tempo with no click track

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion