The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2019, 04:25 PM

Default Pick shape - tone vs. speed

I prefer the tone of a rounded tip triangle pick (like a Fender 346, heavy), but find the I can play a little faster with a standard shape pick (like a Fender 351). Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Mike.
Fender "Eric Johnson" strat
75' RI Fender Jazz bass

Last edited by Jmaulz; 05-02-2019 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Clarity.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:34 PM

Not to be snarky... It's always about trade offs. Maybe you can shape your 346s slightly to make them faster but still give you what you like in the standard pick.

There may be other picks the give you both qualities.

Good luck.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:23 PM

with Clayton picks, using the same size/shape, I get the best tone with the ones made of ultem, but better speed with ones made of acetal.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:35 PM

I alternate between very thin Dunlop picks (holding them closer to their tips on a slight angle acting as a bevel) and small Jazz picks. (Which have a bevel and importantly allows me to pick/strum close to the strings which is where I want to be).

I amazed whenever I see someone holding their pick more towards the top. (Works for some but it's not for me).
Old 05-02-2019, 11:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaulz View Post
I prefer the tone of a rounded tip triangle pick (like a Fender 346, heavy), but find the I can play a little faster with a standard shape pick (like a Fender 351). Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Mike.
When I saw your OP I was thinking how about a smaller triangle than the 346 shape, possibly giving you the best of both worlds.

Happy Hunting.

scott
Old 05-03-2019, 06:36 AM

First thing I thought of when I read OP;
https://images.app.goo.gl/oPNCJLeejgVSjLiT6

The 207 & 208 jazztone are just a tiny bit bigger than a 351, and fairly thick, maybe 1.8-2mm so it feels substantial between the fingers. Molly Tuttle uses a 207 so they can sound pretty darn good. If you are in the continental USA, pm me your address and I’ll send you a 207 if you like.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Firstly the numbers , like 346 and 351 were devised (I believe) by D'andrea when they first made celluloid picks waaay back in the '20s.

He made loads of different and odd shapes!
346 is the large triangle and 351 is the standard teardrop.

The 346 is ...for me -- the best shape : more tips, , more mass and meat to meet the string and to hold, but tis is all about personal preference.

Old any'd theory is that if you have two picks of the same material and same thickness, the 346 will have more mass than the 351.

Moer mass means more power transfer to the string, larger surface area means easier to grip (with less pressure) ... and, of course less wear per tip times three!

Speed ? I'm 71 - I don't do nothin' fast, but sleep!
Old 05-03-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Firstly the numbers , like 346 and 351 were devised (I believe) by D'andrea when they first made celluloid picks waaay back in the '20s.

He made loads of different and odd shapes!

346 is the large triangle and 351 is the standard teardrop.

The 346 is ...for me -- the best shape : more tips, , more mass and meat to meet the string and to hold, but tis is all about personal preference.

Old any'd theory is that if you have two picks of the same material and same thickness, the 346 will have more mass than the 351.

Moer mass means more power transfer to the string, larger surface area means easier to grip (with less pressure) ... and, of course less wear per tip times three!

Speed ? I'm 71 - I don't do nothin' fast, but sleep!
Ah.... but what you do you do well!
Old 05-03-2019, 01:03 PM

Rounded tips produce a warmer tone than pointed tips for any given pick material that I've ever tried. So I'm guessing you prefer a warmer tone. To get a warmer tone with your preferred size and shape, seek out a pick material that gives that naturally warmer tone.

BlueChip and smooth Primetone picks sound nice and warm to me, and they come in various shapes and thicknesses. Check them out if you haven't already.

There are tons of different picks out there. I'm sure you can find one that gives you the best combo of tone and speed. It might cost you some $$ and time to find it, though. But it'll be worth it.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaulz View Post
Thanks,
Mike.
Hi Jm

My gigging partner uses the Rounded corner tri-tip picks from Wegen.

Speed bevels etc. He rarely plays as fast as he 'can' (we're not bluegrassers) so the Wegen serve him well, and you don't even have to be aware of which 'tip' hits the strings.

Tone is more based on thickness of the pick and sharpness/flexibility of the tip of the pick. A really thin pick is never going to sound full, and a thick one is never going 'zing'…

[/size]

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Rounded tips produce a warmer tone than pointed tips for any given pick material that I've ever tried. So I'm guessing you prefer a warmer tone. To get a warmer tone with your preferred size and shape, seek out a pick material that gives that naturally warmer tone.

BlueChip and smooth Primetone picks sound nice and warm to me, and they come in various shapes and thicknesses. Check them out if you haven't already.

There are tons of different picks out there. I'm sure you can find one that gives you the best combo of tone and speed. It might cost you some $$ and time to find it, though. But it'll be worth it.
Hi, large triangles with sharp tips are actually "355" styles. They are pretty rare now and would give a rather then sound - fast attack, fast decay.

346 (depending on mass and bevel, will give a more medium attack, with far more tonal decay.

Blue Chip (frinstance) offer TAD style with more radiused tips which are ideal for mandolin (all that vibrato (is that the right word?) They just add an "-R" on the end.

If there is anyone out there as nerdy as me, have a look at the dandreausa.com website.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Jm

My gigging partner uses the Rounded corner tri-tip picks from Wegen.

Speed bevels etc. He rarely plays as fast as he 'can' (we're not bluegrassers) so the Wegen serve him well, and you don't even have to be aware of which 'tip' hits the strings.

Tone is more based on thickness of the pick and sharpness/flexibility of the tip of the pick. A really thin pick is never going to sound full, and a thick one is never going 'zing'…

[/size]
Larry, are you referring to the Wegen "mando" model that's the same shape as the Golden Gate that's been around forever? Versus the standard Wegen 346 shape?

BTW, I met Tommy Emmanuel about a year ago, and he plays those Golden Gates.

Thank,
Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion