The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Funny observation on P&W player

I was back visiting my mom for her 90th birthday so I visited my home church Sunday. This is a 4000+ congregation church. My family joined in 1957 when the congregation was less than 100 and it was a country church out in the farm fields west of the city. I watched it grow to its current size before moving out of state. My dad was an elder there until his death in 2015. Hilariously, while they built the current sanctuary back around 1968, I would get marooned there on Sunday afternoons while Dad was in elder meetings so I entertained myself in the building as it went up. For instance, I threw my bike in the back of the station wagon and rode throughout the building for fun. I once climbed up into one of the speaker towers up front and "played Army" as a sniper into the empty, roofless sanctuary hall. Ah, kids and their imaginations. Later, the same year I began learning guitar, 1970, I did my first broadcast radio mix from the broadcast booth.

So, back to P&W. This church has a first rate P&W leadership group. It is a thrust stage with the congregation wrapped around. They've got all the technology to support the service in the modern way: multiple large-screen TVs and projection screens for lyrics, four line arrays with subwoofers that are extremely well tuned to the room, IEMs with individual mix systems, They regularly field a forty-some-odd member P&W choir and a full ensemble with acoustic drums, a percussionist playing various drums and cymbals, often with classical techniques (cymbal rolls, etc.) pianist, pipe organist, synth player, bass player, acoustic guitarist, electric guitarist, and violinista. They are well-led and mixed to be an integrated, professional-sounding ensemble. As is usually the case these days, there are no amps onstage.

And here is the funny thing I noticed about the electric guitarist: He played a Tele through two (2) elegant, wooden-framed pedal boards, each with ten pedals. I saw no amp emulation but he used a SansAmp DI lying outboard of his boards. Afterwards he was out door with a soft Tele case and two shoulder bags containing the pedal boards in less than five minutes. Bam! And the sounds? Mostly faded-in, echo-y warbles with modulation. "Gravy" He sounded good and apropos to the material but darn, twenty pedals for that?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-23-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
...Mostly faded-in, echo-y warbles with modulation...He sounded good and apropos to the material but...twenty pedals for that?
Did my last P&W/CCM bandleader gig in 2013:
  • Gibson '60s Tribute P-90 LP goldtop/Yamaha SSC-500/Godin CW II - chose one, depending on that week's material
  • Bugera "blue-light" V22, Soviet mil-surplus tubes/Eminence Swamp Thang speaker
  • Cool Cat tremolo pedal connected old-school guitar-pedal-amp
  • Preamp out DI'd to board; extension speaker to stage left, as cue monitor for 5-6x/yr. full-choir services
Got all the warbly/echo-y stuff, got crunch and clean rhythm, got the OD rock and chimey country leads, got the quasi-acoustic fingerstyle or jazz-tinged chord-melody behind a solo vocalist...

Unplugged everything, threw the guitar in the case, pedal/cords in the back of the amp - also out the door five minutes after the service...

It's not what you have, but what you do with it - I've seen plenty of guys like Mr. Pedalboard on and off the P&W circuit, and in most cases I'm never as impressed with them as they are ; there's an apocryphal Old West proverb, "Beware the man with one gun, because he knows how to use it " - and Sergeant Pepper was done on four-track analog equipment...
Old 10-23-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
but darn, twenty pedals for that?

Bob
sounds like that dude is ready for ANYTHING!

I'm often amazed with the sound setups some parishes have.

We have a pretty pathetic setup at our church, but our music director is a genus, and the choir is often amazing..

I've been working among them for close to four years now.

recently set the piano up to go thru house speakers and they're supposedly adding another for me, it has yet to happen. Roman Catholic Churches, have wheels that move very slowly. the setup is lame, so I just bring my LoudBox Artist and do the best I can to "blend"

I love the people there tho, so I just roll with it.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
He sounded good and apropos to the material but darn, twenty pedals for that?
Pedals have always been an important part of church music. Why, a Hammond B5 by itself has 25 pedals.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
"Beware the man with one gun, because he knows how to use it "
Hah! I'm going to have to remember that one!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-23-2019, 08:21 PM

I bet at least two pedals on each board were delays.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
there's an apocryphal Old West proverb, "Beware the man with one gun, because he knows how to use it "
Yes indeed, I had "Big Bertha" (Remington 700BDL in 300 Win Mag) kept my family fed for 25 years

Quote:
- and Sergeant Pepper was done on four-track analog equipment...
And to think it was now more like 40 years ago today, he taught the band to play,,,,, "man how time flies "

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-24-2019, 09:27 AM

I know a number of guitarists in my area who employ monster pedalboards. When I was doing the band gig (30 years) I went through many pedal setups including nice muilti-effects units and large boards with individual pedals. I understand the temptation to have lots of pedals, but eventually, I landed on a small pedal board with just a few pedals. I think my last setup was just an overdrive, delay, modulation and compressor. That into as really good tube amp where I could control degrees of drive with just volume changes and dynamics gave me what I needed.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 10-25-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes indeed, I had "Big Bertha" (Remington 700BDL in 300 Win Mag) kept my family fed for 25 years

And to think it was now more like 40 years ago today, he taught the band to play,,,,, "man how time flies "

50 years, Kev; we’re not even that young anymore.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
50 years, Kev; we’re not even that young anymore.
Oh man I am so old I can't even count correctly

Probably why I only have two FX on my pedalboard a Delay and Reverb

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 10-25-2019, 10:50 AM

He's what ya call a pedal-phile. I can relate.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:57 PM

Possible that church isn't his only gig, but uses the same rig.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars