The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Lacks Focus Lacks Focus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central Indiana
Posts: 1,590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
That's true. The bonus material takes the course to another level. I also highly recommended doing the bonus material whether or not you have the expanded version DVD's.

Bill
I'll second that as well. The written bonus material takes the basic exercises and songs one or two steps further, with slightly more challenging stuff. Working through them succesfully will help you a lot as you move on through the course. Plus the bonus material is where Steve outlines the criteria you need to meet before moving on to the next session, so in that regard it's extremely useful. Without those kinds of benchmarks as a reference, it can be difficult to get the most out of any self-directed course of learning.
__________________
Craig

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Leif Leif is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 17
Default

I bought a copy as a result of the comments here, and the link to the $100 offer. It arrived in 7 days from the US to the UK, with a low value on the customs form so that it escaped import duties. The postage charges quoted by L&MG matched the actual charges, and the packaging was good. The course comes in a nice card presentation case. So far so good. The accompanying book is very basic. Let's see how the disks do.

I was originally put off this course by fake looking online review websites, which look as if their sole purpose is to publish a review of multiple courses, with L&MG placed at the top. There are also many websites which seem sort of genuine and yet go out of their way to praise this course. I have to wonder why.

Actually the reason is simple as I discovered from the L&MG site. They pay a significant sum of money to each person who forwards a new customer. See here.

How to make money. Yippee!

In other words, someone can intentionally post a glowing review in order to get a commission from L&MG. Now that to my mind is dishonest and little more than deception. I should add that this is my opinion, and some reviews might be genuine, though lord knows how one can discriminate between fake and real.

I am sure that in the UK our law requires someone to disclose any monetary gain from a review e.g. commission. Is that not the case in the states?

As I said, I bought the course on the basis of comments here from people with a large posting history. On some forums when this course is discussed, loads of newbies pop up to praise the course. Mmmm. Had I known about the affiliate program, I might have thought twice about the purchase. Still, $100 is not a huge sum.
__________________
___________________

The Fungi of Southern England
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Broadus Broadus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clinton, SC
Posts: 3,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
I bought a copy as a result of the comments here, and the link to the $100 offer. It arrived in 7 days from the US to the UK, with a low value on the customs form so that it escaped import duties. The postage charges quoted by L&MG matched the actual charges, and the packaging was good. The course comes in a nice card presentation case. So far so good. The accompanying book is very basic. Let's see how the disks do.

I was originally put off this course by fake looking online review websites, which look as if their sole purpose is to publish a review of multiple courses, with L&MG placed at the top. There are also many websites which seem sort of genuine and yet go out of their way to praise this course. I have to wonder why.

Actually the reason is simple as I discovered from the L&MG site. They pay a significant sum of money to each person who forwards a new customer. See here.

How to make money. Yippee!

In other words, someone can intentionally post a glowing review in order to get a commission from L&MG. Now that to my mind is dishonest and little more than deception. I should add that this is my opinion, and some reviews might be genuine, though lord knows how one can discriminate between fake and real.

I am sure that in the UK our law requires someone to disclose any monetary gain from a review e.g. commission. Is that not the case in the states?

As I said, I bought the course on the basis of comments here from people with a large posting history. On some forums when this course is discussed, loads of newbies pop up to praise the course. Mmmm. Had I known about the affiliate program, I might have thought twice about the purchase. Still, $100 is not a huge sum.
Hi Leif. As you can see above, several of us were really put off by the fake reviews resulting from the affiliate program. I would have ordered it a year earlier otherwise. I didn't believe the course was worthwhile till this thread was started. Having been in the course for several months now, I find it worth the monetary and time investment. It's not the be-all end-all for learning to play well, but if someone puts in the time, he will certainly travel a long way in learning how to play well (I'm also working in William Leavitt's Modern Method for Guitar and Mark Hanson's Art of Contemporary Travis Picking). Still, Learn & Master Guitar is the best course I've seen for the $99 one pays for a previously viewed package. In fact, it's worth the perpetually-sale-priced $149, another marketing gimmick.

The LMG community is a real boon for the course. If you haven't already, check out the LMG forum.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Leif Leif is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 17
Default

Thanks Bill, that's useful.
__________________
___________________

The Fungi of Southern England
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Philly5834 Philly5834 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Clifton Park, New York
Posts: 285
Default

I too have learned a lot from L&M although I have only gone through lesson 11 in close to a year and a half. Truth is that I branched out trying to focus on arpeggios and chord changing as I mainly play to accompany myself. But I definitely learned to sight-read and am capable of playing practically any melody without reading from anywhere on the fretboard. I have also burnt a well received CD and probably will go back to the course and finish it because it keeps you learning and gives lots of material for expansion. I highly recommend it.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 07-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Balls88 Balls88 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 33
Default

I've had LMG for about a year now and am pretty much done with it. I don't know if this is appropriate for this forum, but if anyone wants it I'm willing to sell it at a discounted price (perfect condition btw). Again sorry if you're not allowed to post that here and if so delete this comment.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Hobbesy Hobbesy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
I'm finding that to be true. One of the frustrations is that it takes my fingers/hand so much longer to learn what to do than the mind comprehends it. In my mind, it's like, "Yes, I have that." My fingers and hand are more like, "Say what? How do you do this?" over and over and over again. But progress is coming, so slowly.

Bill
I just said the exact same thing to my wife. The repetition makes me feel like a simpleton and is such an exercise in patience and frustration... I bet I've played Bm to G and back 1000 times and there's still a huge pause as my fingers struggle to 'find' it.... I went through the same thing with other chords so I know it will come. I just keep hoping something is going to click in my head and the milestones are going to start coming faster
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-11-2010, 05:49 PM
Broadus Broadus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clinton, SC
Posts: 3,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls88 View Post
I've had LMG for about a year now and am pretty much done with it. I don't know if this is appropriate for this forum, but if anyone wants it I'm willing to sell it at a discounted price (perfect condition btw). Again sorry if you're not allowed to post that here and if so delete this comment.
Become a Charter Member and offer it in the AGF Classifieds.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-19-2010, 09:06 AM
markallen markallen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: 50 miles North of Seattle
Posts: 1,147
Default

Well, I certainly hope the positive posts in this thread were not all the "paid for" type as I pulled the trigger after reading this thread and purchased a pre-viewed course for $99. I'm hoping for the best!!

Cheers,
Mark
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Broadus Broadus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clinton, SC
Posts: 3,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallboard View Post
Well, I certainly hope the positive posts in this thread were not all the "paid for" type as I pulled the trigger after reading this thread and purchased a pre-viewed course for $99. I'm hoping for the best!!

Cheers,
Mark


I receive a 50% commission from all orders coming through AGF.

Work through it slowly Mark, and be patient. The material in the Bonus Workshop DVD's is especially important. Also, take advantage of the LMG forum. Hope you the best and look forward to your take on it.

Bill
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Dragoro Dragoro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Troy Michigan
Posts: 155
Default

Im been using LnG since may and am about to start session 5. I have to say that Im very happy I bought it (did so after reading this post). I have to say that even though im still pretty early into the sessions, Ive become much better than before I started. Im actually learning stuff instead of just learning songs (which is what my instructor at private lessons was doing).
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Jarlaxle Jarlaxle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,111
Default

I have been using LM&G for a couple of months now, I really like how the lessons are laid out and progress. I'm going back and forth between lessons 4 and 5 right now.

I will echo other comments in that practice/repetition are key. When I can play multiple nights in a row I find myself getting better much more quickly. When I have to take some time off (was out of town for a week recently) I regressed quite a bit so for me the key is to play every single night.

Overall I think this is the best way for me (complete newb, never played an instrument before) to learn. Will update my progress in this thread as I go.
__________________
Martin 0000-28V (Custom Adi/EIR)
Martin 00X1AE


We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-02-2010, 03:32 PM
naccoachbob naccoachbob is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nacogdoches, Tx
Posts: 667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallboard View Post
Well, I certainly hope the positive posts in this thread were not all the "paid for" type as I pulled the trigger after reading this thread and purchased a pre-viewed course for $99. I'm hoping for the best!!

Cheers,
Mark
LOL, I'm like Fallboard, I was a little hesitant. But I did my own un-scientific research just now. I looked at the names of the people on this thread who gave positive "reviews" of the package, and they have all been here long enough that I doubt they could be shills. The only name I really recognized was Broadus' because I've seen him post a number of times. But some of the others have been here several years as well. I think one has been here 10 yrs.
Based on my obviously excellent research , I too ordered the "pre-viewed" course, and look forward to a great learning experience.
Throughout my life, I've learned one thing...........I ain't an organizer. I need guidance on things like this and on building guitars. So the structure of this course should help a bunch.
Glad to see this topic, as I've been wondering where to go, who to see, what to do about playing better and better.
I can strum with Travis Tritt, Vern Gosdin, Charlie Daniels, and Waylon, but I want to be good enough to play a song and have folks recognize it even if I'm not singing.
Thanks guys,
Bob
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 08-02-2010, 04:02 PM
bluesbassdad bluesbassdad is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Arizona central highlands
Posts: 3,878
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
LOL, I'm like Fallboard, I was a little hesitant. But I did my own un-scientific research just now. I looked at the names of the people on this thread who gave positive "reviews" of the package, and they have all been here long enough that I doubt they could be shills. The only name I really recognized was Broadus' because I've seen him post a number of times. But some of the others have been here several years as well. I think one has been here 10 yrs.
Based on my obviously excellent research , I too ordered the "pre-viewed" course, and look forward to a great learning experience.
Throughout my life, I've learned one thing...........I ain't an organizer. I need guidance on things like this and on building guitars. So the structure of this course should help a bunch.
Glad to see this topic, as I've been wondering where to go, who to see, what to do about playing better and better.
I can strum with Travis Tritt, Vern Gosdin, Charlie Daniels, and Waylon, but I want to be good enough to play a song and have folks recognize it even if I'm not singing.
Thanks guys,
Bob
The one thing the course will not do is change the personality of the student. On this I speak from experience.

I zipped through Lesson One with daily practice. Ditto Lesson Two. In Lesson Three I started missing days for no particular reason. Then I decided to skip ahead to see whether I could get away with it. My practice days (as opposed to strumming and singing days) became less frequent. At this point I can't recall exactly how long it's been since I worked on a lesson.

The above mirrors my experience with other books/videos/DVDs over the years. What's different this time is that I've surveyed the lessons well enough to know that this course addresses the entire skill set, at least at a beginner/intermediate level, in a systematic, well-paced way.

I'm now fairly sure that I don't actually want to improve. If I did, I would work the course daily as Steve laid it out.
__________________
Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Broadus Broadus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Clinton, SC
Posts: 3,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naccoachbob View Post
LOL, I'm like Fallboard, I was a little hesitant. But I did my own un-scientific research just now. I looked at the names of the people on this thread who gave positive "reviews" of the package, and they have all been here long enough that I doubt they could be shills. The only name I really recognized was Broadus' because I've seen him post a number of times. But some of the others have been here several years as well. I think one has been here 10 yrs.
Based on my obviously excellent research , I too ordered the "pre-viewed" course, and look forward to a great learning experience.
Throughout my life, I've learned one thing...........I ain't an organizer. I need guidance on things like this and on building guitars. So the structure of this course should help a bunch.
Glad to see this topic, as I've been wondering where to go, who to see, what to do about playing better and better.
I can strum with Travis Tritt, Vern Gosdin, Charlie Daniels, and Waylon, but I want to be good enough to play a song and have folks recognize it even if I'm not singing.
Thanks guys,
Bob
Hey Bob. I hope it works well for you, or my name is mud. The "previewed" course is definitely the way to go. I've had it since February or whenever and have been well pleased. It definitely is organized well and will give you the tools to advance in playing guitar. You certainly won't "master" the guitar by the end, but you will have advanced toward that goal.

Let us know what you think about it. We need unvarnished views--the good, the bad, and the ugly--to help others make up their mind.

Bill
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=