The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-15-2009, 03:34 PM

ummm.... I just don't know what else to say.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb56 View Post
ummm.... I just don't know what else to say.
As you can see in this thread, we have players who would play Csus2 when they see C2 and we have players who would play Cadd9 when they see C2.
I've even seen individuals switch between the two interpretations in the same song. D2 will be a Dsus2, but C2 will be Cadd9. The notation is ambiguous, which has been my main point.

I think you should take a page from my book and say that folks should stop using this C2 notation. If they mean Csus2, write Csus2. If they mean Cadd9, write Cadd9. It is obviously a source of confusion for players, so why have ambiguous notation? We already have notation for the chords that they intend.

As I said in my original post, it is just my pet peeve and most folks don't care.

Bryan
Old 06-17-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan T View Post
As you can see in this thread, we have players who would play Csus2 when they see C2 and we have players who would play Cadd9 when they see C2.
I've even seen individuals switch between the two interpretations in the same song. D2 will be a Dsus2, but C2 will be Cadd9. The notation is ambiguous, which has been my main point.

I think you should take a page from my book and say that folks should stop using this C2 notation. If they mean Csus2, write Csus2. If they mean Cadd9, write Cadd9. It is obviously a source of confusion for players, so why have ambiguous notation? We already have notation for the chords that they intend.

As I said in my original post, it is just my pet peeve and most folks don't care.

Bryan
Agreed...I much prefer a more specific notation and do try to use the most specific notation available when I write for others..and sometimes, even THAT is not enough...sigh...for them OR me.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james55 View Post
Is the chord Bb2:

Bar the first fret then 3rd finger on the 4th string - 3rd fret, 2nd finger on the 3rd string - 2nd fret?

??
WHAT A CHORD!!!!!!!!

Guitars
2008 Fender Sonoran S
2007 Taylor Big Baby(With LR Baggs Element System)
1971 Lyle W-400

Amps
2008 Fender Vibro Champ XD
Old 06-18-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
I wish folks would call these sus2 chords, rather than just 2. My pet peeve, but it isn't going to change a thing.
I always wondered what was up with that. I am with you, call it what it is... for people trying to figure this all out, you would think a sus2 and 2 are two different chords.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easymusictune View Post
I always wondered what was up with that. I am with you, call it what it is... for people trying to figure this all out, you would think a sus2 and 2 are two different chords.
Hi folks...
I play with lots of different musicians, and I keep the pressure on me to understand what ''language'' they speak and adapt to them, rather than to educate them to tickle-my-ears by using the terms I think are more correct.

In the middle of a jam with some players who read, some who don't, some jazzers and some grassers, I just listen for their usage and definitions, and watch their hands and then play along and have fun.

It is not important to me at all - nor is it an issue worth going to the matte for - to get everyone to define their terms the same. I know what they mean if they say A2, Asus2, A9, A9-add7 or Aadd9 - as soon as I ask them to show it to me. Then I'm good to go...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-18-2009, 10:43 AM

Larry,

That kind of misses the point of notation. If I could just have Bach show me how to play Invention #8, I would. I can't, so I do the best with the notational representation that he left us.

The same goes for most sheet music and chord charts that I've worked through over the years. I rarely have access to the composer to know what they intend.

I agree that if you do have access to the composer or are learning to play an arrangement the way someone else already plays it, then you are good to go. I do that, too. I also work a lot with musicians who don't know the names of the chords they are playing.

As I said in my first post, this is a pet peeve of mine and most folks don't care. You're clearly in the 'don't care' group.

Bryan
Old 06-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...That kind of misses the point of notation.
...You're clearly in the 'don't care' group.
Hi Bryan...
I am in the camp of those who don't care if everyone calls chords the same thing as long as we communicate and play music together.

I don't see how not calling a Bb2 a Bb2sus, or Bbadd9 or Bb9add7 misses the point of notation. If notation is the real issue, just write out the notes and don't label it anything...and those who read will play the right notes in the proper inversion...

However notation was not the intent of the thread...but how to play a Bb2 chord.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-18-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
I don't see how not calling a Bb2 a Bb2sus, or Bbadd9 or Bb9add7 misses the point of notation.
You misunderstood my comment and are quoting me out of context. But, honestly, it doesn't matter.

Bryan
Old 06-19-2009, 12:20 PM

Wow, I left and came back and there's been a party going on!!

Is this true?

Bb2 = Bb C D F

maybe for piano?

2018 Taylor 412CE
2010 Blueridge BR-163A - Adi/EIR/K&K
Epiphone EF500-M
Old 06-19-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:

Is this true?

Bb2 = Bb C D F

maybe for piano?
If Bb2 means Bbadd9, then that is correct. If Bb2 means Bsus2, then it would be Bb C F.

It is all in the thread.

Bryan
Old 06-19-2009, 01:41 PM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Hi Bryan...
So then are we going to call a minor 7th chord a min/min 7 (minor chord with minor 7th) and a major 7th a maj/maj7th because technically that is what we are playing.

Also a dominant 7th would then be a maj/min7 chord...technically.

The sus2 simply states no third in the chord. An "add 2" would have the third as well as the 2-but not the b7 or it would be a 9.

Don't ya love it?

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 06-19-2009, 01:42 PM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:

Is this true?

Bb2 = Bb C D F

maybe for piano?

Isn't this Steely Dan's infamous "mu major"?

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 06-19-2009, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Is this true?
...Bb2 = Bb C D F...
Hi James...
Sorry the party went on while you were 'away.'

Yes, Bb, C, D, F bottom-to-top is a Bb2 chord.

Bb9 would be spelled or played (bottom-to-top)
Bb, D, F, C and it might even have an ''A'' or ''Ab'' in it as well between the F & C...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 06-19-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Bb9 would be spelled or played (bottom-to-top)
Bb, D, F, C and it might even have an ''A'' or ''Ab'' in it as well between the F & C...[/SIZE]
Bb9 has a conventional definition. You'd expect a root, a major third, a fifth, a minor seventh, and a ninth. In practice, you'll occasionally find folks omitting a note or two. For example, a common guitar voicing of that chord is x1011x, which has a root, major third, minor seventh, and the ninth on top - no fifth.

I'm not sure why Larry is suggesting that it might have an A note in it, as that is a different chord - Bbmaj9.

I highly recommend Ted Greene's "Chord Chemistry" for folks who are interested in the conventions of chord naming and construction.

I think I'll shut up now.
Bryan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write