The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
I see you've already ordered a nice guitar, so this advice will be after the ship has sailed, but... I find my Cedar topped steel string gets louder with less effort than a spruce topped guitar. Since many classical guitars are cedar over rosewood, that might be a combination you COULD have looked for. I have a cedar over mahogany Walden G2070 that is nice to play.
I would love to hear a classical guitarist test-drive my cedar-top Ami! A cedar-top, could indeed, be the first step towards "an answer".

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 07-20-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky2015 View Post
Thanks for the responses. My classical guitar is a cheap but well opened Yamaha, not a very high end classical

I just wanted to ask how people are enjoying unplugged fingerpicking sound from acoustic guitars. Or if top opens after some time, volume may get louder, I guess?

Or maybe because of ambient noise in the store, I felt the volume was small? I'm not sure..
I think you answered your own question in that last sentence. So many guitar shops are barn like with competing players adding more noise. A shop I like has it's own closet like room for it's acoustics and they sound better there.

And yeah, all of the acoustics I've bought sounded so much better their 2nd or 3rd year of playing which makes buying new a real crap-shoot. Still, I enjoy playing thru my recording set-up as much or more than I do acoustically, so what you're pointing out is a common and overlooked issue, I think.

Hope you're not ruling out buying used, often priced at 50% of new, their value isn't always appreciated in price.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:39 AM

Sounds like you already got the answers but I'd echo the idea of trying some nice 00/000/OM size guitars in a quieter environment.

Common wisdom/marketing is that the smaller guitars actually produce more volume at lower effort for fingerpicking because they have less mass in their tops and lighter bracing. So they might not have the same headroom with a pick but play louder at the same effort levels fingerpicking.

I have a GC sized Taylor, they definitely claim the smaller bodies produce more volume fingerpicking lightly and are more optimized for it, I wasn't fingerpicking when I bought mine but am now and have been pleasantly surprised how nice it sounds, I'm probably happier with the fingerpicked tone than I am with the flat picked tone.

I am not crazy about almost anything I've heard plugged in.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

I play unplugged all the time. Even though I have an acoustic amp, a couple of acoustic electrics and a soundhole pick up laying around somewhere I never plug in. I like the plain ol' sound of wooden music.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-20-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky2015 View Post
Hey, fellow members,
Greetings from southern CA!

I was wondering how acoustic fingerpickers who use nails and flesh enjoy unplugged sound while playing.

I'm from classical guitar world and for the first time in my life, trying to get an acoustic guitar.

I've visited nearby GCs and tried many steel string guitars.

But whenever I play them, I feel the volume is pretty small and doesn't produce subtleness and responses that I get from my classical guitar when playing fingerstyle, especially on high notes.

I really love acoustic sound from steel strings, from albums and youtube videos.

But it looks I can only get that sound when plugged in-either from guitar amp or through recording devices.

Just wondering if I'm missing something-please understand I'm new to acoustic world.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!
I enjoy playing my acoustics unplugged very much. You're not missing anything except maybe taking the time to allow your ears to settle down...or settle up...
Old 07-20-2018, 09:16 AM

any of the 12 fret 25.4" Scale models with modified V or authentic neck would be the easiest transition into a steel string for a classical player, regardless a 12 fret is the miumum requirement as it will typically have a 1-3/4 nut up to 1-7/8 and of course the proper spacing at saddle. Then a nice mic (a real mic) into a quality amp (a real quality amp) and you will certainly be on the way. If you want something on the lower price range there is Recording King ROS626 based on Martins 000-12 fret design with a huge neck that would fit a classical players hands excellent. Then there are the peghead BR142 and BR162 Blueridge 12 fret, scalloped bracing, nice appointments. and of course a Martin 000-28VS could be the one and only you ever need.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:17 AM

Wow, lots of great information! I really appreciate them, folks!

I will see how it sounds when I play Martin at home with the same condition. I really hope it suffices all my needs at this time.

I may buy a device like Scarlette 2i2 and record the sound as this comes with a pickup, but this is just for my own amusement at home mostly on weekends, so hopefully it works.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
fingerstyle, volume