The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-27-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
There is, I believe, a CF culture, a body of people with unique characteristics. For example, the willingness to accept new guitar materials and forms. Another example is a common need for an instrument that can handle extreme climates--from Alaskan cold to desert heat. Yet another defining characteristic of the CF culture is travel--a lot of people on this forum move around a lot. Those characteristics have made this a particularly interesting forum.

The CF culture has taken on an interpersonal nature. People here have gotten to know each other and so we know when the Captain is hoisting sail, when the Kramster is hanging around the pool, and when Jon is just hanging in England.
I'm definitely hooked on CF and travel around a lot. :-)

To jcub - as in Piper?
Old 06-27-2018, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcub View Post
The electric guitar and synthesizer were not considered valid at first.
And there are those, elsewhere on this forum, who would still maintain that an 'electric guitar' is not even a guitar.

It's interesting to me how reactionary 'we' (as in guitar players in general) are. Any attempt to deviate from the norms of the last century generally ends up being ****ed with faint praise. Electric guitar players are, I would suggest, even worse than their acoustic brethren in this regard - just about anything that doesn't look like a Les Paul/Strat/Tele is immediately dismissed as 'fugly' by the internet comment sewer dwellers.

Rickenbacker, a manufacturer for whom I have particular regard, has a 1-2 year backlog on most of its standard, iconic models. Yet the cognoscenti continually whine about them never doing anything new, demand that they reintroduce old models that never sold much back in the day, and bay like wolves when they do let loose a prototype of something new.

'tis a funny old world.

Is it September yet?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-27-2018, 06:34 PM
Guest 928

And don't forget Danelectro. Nathan Daniel came on the scene with a number of really deviant electric guitars, at prices anyone could afford, and were often featured by some of the most prominent musicians of the time.

Alistair reminds me of Nathan in that he develops a really cool guitar, grows bored and moves on. From the very beginning he's been more an innovative, custom-maker than a production guru. That doesn't diminish my estimation of Rainsong which has weathered the CF storm longer than any other maker and has produced a number of innovative instruments. There are many ways to heaven.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braindead View Post
You see, I am down to earth, sensible and pragmatic!
No, you are out of this earth (playing and buying guitars made from space age materials), sensible and progressive!

I agree with you on most levels, but not in the sense of how CF vs. wood ages with equal grace. A wood guitar that looks loved and abused just has a great look to it, even has endearing monikers attached like "mojo". What do CF guitars from the 90's look like after 20 years? More like beat up automobiles? Plus, they won't sound better with age like their wooden ancestors.

Having said that, there was another CF thread today about the running costs of CF instruments that has me thinking along your lines of thought;

What is the going rate for a neck reset? $500.00?

For those on the fence regarding the purchase of a CF guitar- new or otherwise, you can buy with confidence that part of that cost is the assurance that you will never need a neck reset! That alone might, for some, be worth the price of admission.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:59 PM

There is definitely a CF Culture and for good reasons. Guitar lovers living in dry environments have to worry about wood guitars not CF guitars. Traveling with a guitar or playing outdoors, what’s better than a CF?
The other side is tone. Taylors, Martins etc. and CF’s all have their own unique tonal personalities. They’re different and each one has its place and purpose. I own both wood and CF guitars and appreciate each for what they are.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 06-28-2018, 03:04 AM

I like this thread. Cork-sniffery is the perfect way to poke fun at the "Woodies."

My only problem with the thread is the irony that I really want an X20 now. Ironic in that I like my Sable because it's a simple, effective and well-designed tool to make music, not some craftsmanship bauble to show off at BBQs.

But man those cocobolo gems are pretty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber