The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-14-2022, 11:46 AM

Wow.....that's one of the prettiest guitars I've ever seen!!!

AWESOME work. Doug
Old 08-14-2022, 02:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks very much guys. That does me old heart good
Old 08-14-2022, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Of the two of us, my wife is the one with the visual sense, who can "see" things in her head. She's an artist. I have an ear. I am a musician. I also own one of John's guitars. It is a visual treat (my wife says) and it is a sonic treat (I say). It will be at BIG3 if you want to try it, or even just look at it. It is sounding magnificent these days. John's builds appeal to the both of us.
Old 08-15-2022, 07:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Wow that’s nice! The design elements work sooo well together.
Good job guys.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 08-15-2022, 10:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Wow that’s nice! The design elements work sooo well together.
Good job guys.

Steve
Well thank you brother. Mighty kind and most meaningful comment.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:30 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

The review:

I would love to have posted a video so you could all hear this one, but it just isn't in the cards today...maybe another day soon. We'll see....But for now I gotta say that this guitar is spectacular. John's guitars have always been super good and I've never played one that didn't satisfy me tonally. But as I've said, this one is much better and I think John's guitars overall continue to improve and I'm sure there are lots of reasons, one of those being the addition of the cantilevered neck.

I've had it now since Wednesday and have been able to play it a lot...til my fingers got sore . So on to the details...once I received it I gave it the usual "once over" and found the fit and finish to excellent. The weight of the guitar is slightly heavier than I originally thought it might be, but it isn't heavy by any stretch of the imagination but instead quite nice to hold and play. The setup was what really grabbed me as it is really dialed in.

The next thing I did was to take it to my friend and veteran (45 years) luthier Duane who is Martin and Taylor certified. I have him look at every guitar I get to give me insight into issues and/or strengths. Duane picked up the guitar and after spending a few minutes with it said "looks like Mr Kinnaird hit this one out of the park". He then spent another 10 to 15 minutes looking at all of the angles etc etc and put it back into the case and said "you don't need me for anything on this one". WOW!! He's never said that before and he's looked at hundreds of guitars of mine. That alone says a LOT to me.

Tonally this one is a typical JK from the standpoint of it is simply louder than about any others I've owned. I've been playing several guitars including a very special Bourgeois for the last 6 months and although it is super good, this Kinnaird is much better. The volume is another 1/3 or so greater than the Bourgeois which of course translates to responsiveness to the lightest touch. Overtones galore, and sustain to die for. The tone is very even from treble to bass, and shockingly to me the bass is very VERY present...in fact I'd call it chocolatey rich! It doesn't "boom", but oh my goodness it is solid and mouth watering. When I play the guitar, even fingerstyle I can feel the vibration of the bass on my chest. Love it. It has that "it" ring to it that we all look for, and it also has a really cool bluesy vibe when you dig in and play 12 bar stuff. Super versatile indeed. I even played some contemporary Christian music with it on Sunday...primarily strumming and even then it rose to the occasion and sounded full like a much larger guitar would.

I can't think of anything else to say about this one other than it is a dream to play. The tone is rich and sounds "played in". I couldn't be happier and of course I know that the tone will only get better with time. Thank you John Kinnaird for delivering on promises!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 08-15-2022, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Mike, congratulations to you and John Kinnaird for collaborating on another superb guitar. The guitars he brought to BIG last year were outstanding and it sounds like he continues to up his game. Very happy for you, my friend!
Old 08-15-2022, 12:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
The review:

I would love to have posted a video so you could all hear this one, but it just isn't in the cards today...maybe another day soon. We'll see....But for now I gotta say that this guitar is spectacular. John's guitars have always been super good and I've never played one that didn't satisfy me tonally. But as I've said, this one is much better and I think John's guitars overall continue to improve and I'm sure there are lots of reasons, one of those being the addition of the cantilevered neck.

I've had it now since Wednesday and have been able to play it a lot...til my fingers got sore . So on to the details...once I received it I gave it the usual "once over" and found the fit and finish to excellent. The weight of the guitar is slightly heavier than I originally thought it might be, but it isn't heavy by any stretch of the imagination but instead quite nice to hold and play. The setup was what really grabbed me as it is really dialed in.

The next thing I did was to take it to my friend and veteran (45 years) luthier Duane who is Martin and Taylor certified. I have him look at every guitar I get to give me insight into issues and/or strengths. Duane picked up the guitar and after spending a few minutes with it said "looks like Mr Kinnaird hit this one out of the park". He then spent another 10 to 15 minutes looking at all of the angles etc etc and put it back into the case and said "you don't need me for anything on this one". WOW!! He's never said that before and he's looked at hundreds of guitars of mine. That alone says a LOT to me.

Tonally this one is a typical JK from the standpoint of it is simply louder than about any others I've owned. I've been playing several guitars including a very special Bourgeois for the last 6 months and although it is super good, this Kinnaird is much better. The volume is another 1/3 or so greater than the Bourgeois which of course translates to responsiveness to the lightest touch. Overtones galore, and sustain to die for. The tone is very even from treble to bass, and shockingly to me the bass is very VERY present...in fact I'd call it chocolatey rich! It doesn't "boom", but oh my goodness it is solid and mouth watering. When I play the guitar, even fingerstyle I can feel the vibration of the bass on my chest. Love it. It has that "it" ring to it that we all look for, and it also has a really cool bluesy vibe when you dig in and play 12 bar stuff. Super versatile indeed. I even played some contemporary Christian music with it on Sunday...primarily strumming and even then it rose to the occasion and sounded full like a much larger guitar would.

I can't think of anything else to say about this one other than it is a dream to play. The tone is rich and sounds "played in". I couldn't be happier and of course I know that the tone will only get better with time. Thank you John Kinnaird for delivering on promises!
Well thank you Mike for such a good review. Much appreciated and it pleases me that you seem happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodahdoug View Post
Mike, congratulations to you and John Kinnaird for collaborating on another superb guitar. The guitars he brought to BIG last year were outstanding and it sounds like he continues to up his game. Very happy for you, my friend!
Thank you Mr doodah. You are coming back to BIG right?
Old 08-16-2022, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Smile This

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
Of the two of us, my wife is the one with the visual sense, who can "see" things in her head. She's an artist. I have an ear. I am a musician. I also own one of John's guitars. It is a visual treat (my wife says) and it is a sonic treat (I say). It will be at BIG3 if you want to try it, or even just look at it. It is sounding magnificent these days. John's builds appeal to the both of us.
My wife, Cindy, is an excellent visual artist, as well as a classically trained performance vocalist and fine pianist, too.

I have good eyes and one remaining decent ear. We both agree none of the MANY fine guitars I have owned can touch Johns for both beautiful design and TONE/VOLUME. super soft or whacked mercilessly, they just Sing
Plus, the comfort is unmatched due to John and my non patented Pablo package.
Inquiring is easy. Talk to John!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-17-2022, 12:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the kind words Paul. It makes me heart full and me face red

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop