The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-05-2020, 05:00 PM

I love “Come as You Are”, and acknowledge Cobain’s talent and passion. But I don’t hear his influence, particularly. I can hear the specific musical influence of Chuck Berry (e.g., the Stones, and a million others)) or Dylan (John Lennon, The Byrds, Neil Young, Townes Van Zandt, et al.) and so forth. Not sure I hear it with Cobain’s stuff in any lasting way. Seems like, before guitar bands basically disappeared, you’d hear stuff like Wilco, Spoon, and the Shins, which don’t sound Kurt-ish musically. I’m sure he had his minor imitators for awhile; I do recall hearing those for a minute.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:57 PM

I guess I never got into the guy’s music deeply enough to see anything remarkable. Maybe I’m wrong but he was in a specific genre’ that had a limited following in a small capsule of time. There is nothing wrong in that.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-05-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
I love “Come as You Are”, and acknowledge Cobain’s talent and passion.
My personal favorite by Nirvana was actually the cover they did of "The Man Who Sold the World", originally by David Bowie:

And check out the acoustic Kurt is playing!!!! I think it started as a Martin D18!

Edit: according to this, it's a 1959 D18... I'll bet this will make some folks around here weep.... https://www.wmagazine.com/story/fran...uitar-divorce/

Last edited by HodgdonExtreme; 04-05-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:12 PM

^ Indeed, a very memorable cover. One of those covers I like better than the original.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:44 PM

People aren't neat or simple. Kurt was a complicated soul who - even though it was extremely painful - shared himself with the world. One of the best things he did was bring Dave into the group, and his life, and they began to flourish thereafter. Like many troubled souls, Kurt couldn't take it anymore. Unfortunately, in this business I've lost far too many friends, acquaintances and people I've worked with through the years. In the current situation we find ourselves around the world, with many of our friends finding themselves alone, afraid, depressed or lonely, please reach out to anyone you know that is vulnerable and let them know you're thinking about them. Show them you care.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
....please reach out to anyone you know that is vulnerable and let them know you're thinking about them. Show them you care.
Amen to that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic