The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 10:57 AM

As a retired pharmacist I feel obliged to offer this one caveat regarding "Natural" remedies for COVID-19. As the pandemic developed there was almost no mention of a problem in using ibuprofen for controlling aches and fever associated with a COVID-19 infection. In fact, I even heard some "experts" recommend it along with acetaminophen. Recently, as we've learned more about this novel illness, it's been noted that there is mounting evidence suggesting that using ibuprofen for that purpose may actually be detrimental to those with a COVID-19 infection. Using any pharmacologically active substance, including but not limited to "Natural" products, that have no track record in safely and effectively treating a COVID-19 infection is not prudent. We are still in the early stages of understanding this viral disease.The last thing you want if you come down with a case of this disease is to take something that could make it worse. Worst case scenario: What you don't know could kill you.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-06-2020, 07:07 PM

Raw Milk
Physical/cardio activity
Staying Fit
Healthy Diet/Vitamins & Minerals/Herbs
Positive Mental Attitude
A Sense of Humor
Ample rest & sleep
Reading
Coffee and tea
The odd pint (or two)
No smoking

Not scientific, of course!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 04-07-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Certainly, being genetically blessed separates a a precious few.

I guess I’ll just have to take the last part of your post for what it is and that is, it isn’t representative of what is already known and been proven.

Text me in 40 yrs and we can compare our results. [emoji85][emoji86][emoji87]
Old 04-07-2020, 12:31 PM

As a microbiologist and chiropractor, I've been working with foods, vitamins, herbs, and other forms of holistic healing for 40 years.
Personally since this started, I've been dosing with ascorbic acid, vit. D/A, and Bio-K liquid probiotics.
Zinc can be a virocide, quercitin can get the zinc into the cell to be effective. Quercitin can also be hard on the liver. Zinc is currently hard to find. We've used it very effectively as lozenges w/ vit. C, for over 35 years for throat infections. Chinese physicians have effectively given I.V. ascorbic acid to counter-act the virus. We know of many anti-viral/virocidal herbs, that are a lot safer than malaria medicines.
Best of health and safety to all.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
As a retired pharmacist I feel obliged to offer this one caveat regarding "Natural" remedies for COVID-19. As the pandemic developed there was almost no mention of a problem in using ibuprofen for controlling aches and fever associated with a COVID-19 infection. In fact, I even heard some "experts" recommend it along with acetaminophen. Recently, as we've learned more about this novel illness, it's been noted that there is mounting evidence suggesting that using ibuprofen for that purpose may actually be detrimental to those with a COVID-19 infection. Using any pharmacologically active substance, including but not limited to "Natural" products, that have no track record in safely and effectively treating a COVID-19 infection is not prudent. We are still in the early stages of understanding this viral disease.The last thing you want if you come down with a case of this disease is to take something that could make it worse. Worst case scenario: What you don't know could kill you.

Thank you for posting this.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
As a microbiologist and chiropractor, I've been working with foods, vitamins, herbs, and other forms of holistic healing for 40 years.
Personally since this started, I've been dosing with ascorbic acid, vit. D/A, and Bio-K liquid probiotics.
Zinc can be a virocide, quercitin can get the zinc into the cell to be effective. Quercitin can also be hard on the liver. Zinc is currently hard to find. We've used it very effectively as lozenges w/ vit. C, for over 35 years for throat infections. Chinese physicians have effectively given I.V. ascorbic acid to counter-act the virus. We know of many anti-viral/virocidal herbs, that are a lot safer than malaria medicines.
Best of health and safety to all.
I'd be interested to see the post-corona virus numbers of people who followed the above regime verses those who did not. I'm a big fan of scientific evidence based numbers.

My Music (Guaranteed bagipe free!): https://soundcloud.com/derek_barlas
Old 04-08-2020, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Studies have shown significantly increased markers of immune function in older adults who consume 5+ servings of fruit and vegetables a day: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23134881

Full set of studies listed in the "Sources Cited" tab under the video here:
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/usi...mune-function/

Some of these are specific to upper respiratory tract infections, but obviously not to the current coronavirus.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
....Based on the known co-morbidities that make CV-19 worse, the following are other things we can all do to reduce the impact if we are infected, and that no doctor will disagree with:
- quit smoking....
Oddly, in this case, the evidence shows that smoking is not linked to Covid19 severity (see European Journal of Internal Medicine article), as was previously speculated.

Of course, I'm not saying we should all start smoking, but just that those who are already addicted to nicotine should not overly stress about it, thinking they will surely be a fatality if hit by Covid19. Such stress would probably be worse than the cigs.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-08-2020, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Oddly, in this case, the evidence shows that smoking is not linked to Covid19 severity (see European Journal of Internal Medicine article), as was previously speculated.

Of course, I'm not saying we should all start smoking, but just that those who are already addicted to nicotine should not overly stress about it, thinking they will surely be a fatality if hit by Covid19. Such stress would probably be worse than the cigs.
Interesting, and I guess good news. I do think it's early to know for sure. The number of studies are small, data sets are small, and variability of confounding factors is large.

https://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2020/03/20...rus-epidemics/

Quote:
Definitive evidence on whether current smokers are at increased risk of disease, morbidity and mortality from covid-19 are, to our best knowledge, not yet available. An article reporting disease outcomes in 1,099 laboratory confirmed cases of covid-19 reported that 12.4% (17/137) of current smokers died, required intensive care unit admission or mechanical ventilation compared with 4.7% (44/927) among never smokers. [5] Smoking prevalence among men in China is approximately 48% but only 3% in women; this is coupled with findings from the WHO-China Joint Mission on Coronavirus Disease 2019, which reports a higher case fatality rate among males compared with females (4.7% vs. 2.8%). [6,7] It is plausible that rates are even higher in subgroups of the population in which high mortality from SARS-CoV-2 infection is observed (e.g. those with extant cardiovascular and respiratory conditions such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). This needs to be further examined.
I'd play it safe and cease any and all smoking or lung irritants. Anything that irritates your lungs has to potential to make it harder to fight the virus.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

* Hydroxychloroquine with zinc appears to have some success according to ER physician:

"Dr. Anthony Cardillo said he has seen very promising results when prescribing hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc for the most severely-ill COVID-19 patients.

"Every patient I've prescribed it to has been very, very ill and within 8 to 12 hours, they were basically symptom-free," Cardillo told Eyewitness News. "So clinically I am seeing a resolution."

Cardillo is the CEO of Mend Urgent Care, which has locations in Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys and Burbank.

He said he has found it only works if combined with zinc. The drug, he said, opens a channel for the zinc to enter the cell and block virus replication."

** Here's link that has video as well: https://abc7news.com/coronavirus-dru...quine/6079864/

*** Dr Eric Neptune also thinks quinine or at least Tonic Water with zinc may help too... at least these physicians are trying to treat while there is no cure yet.

Continued thoughts on the above? ...thanks for all who have chimed in because whether you agree or not your input is helpful as we try to stay informed together on this.

eric
Old 04-08-2020, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Apparently, some success in treatment has been derived from high doses of vitamin C; like 1500 mg. / 3x a day...

Vitamin D boost immune function...

I don't know about anyone else, but when I have a fever and/or body aches, good old aspirin does a far better job than any of the 'zippy" new NSAIDs...

Strengthening the lungs seems a very good idea at this point in time, especially. Always a boon for singers... the lungs are "muscles" and respond to being worked and exercised, just like all the other muscles in our body.

From my work with Judy Davis, vocal coach extraordinaire (!) back in the 90's, I began using her breathing exercises... used to do them everyday for a few years (along with the vocal exercises), but nowadays I only do them sporadically... now seems a very good time to start doing them more diligently! Everytime I do them, I notice how good my breathing/lungs feel; they have an immediate impact on my singing and phrasing.

They are not difficult and only take about 10 minutes or so... the only caveat is that Judy told us NOT to sing for a couple hours after doing them...

I would be willing to teach anyone here how to do them, over the phone would be fastest... and they will be slightly different for each person; we all breathe in our own ways... pm me if you would like to know these! I should be able to find the time to give them to you!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 04-08-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
* Hydroxychloroquine with zinc appears to have some success according to ER physician:

"Dr. Anthony Cardillo said he has seen very promising results when prescribing hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc for the most severely-ill COVID-19 patients.

"Every patient I've prescribed it to has been very, very ill and within 8 to 12 hours, they were basically symptom-free," Cardillo told Eyewitness News. "So clinically I am seeing a resolution."

Cardillo is the CEO of Mend Urgent Care, which has locations in Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys and Burbank.
Patients who have been treated by Cardillo give him awful reviews.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-08-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
"Dr. Anthony Cardillo said he has seen very promising results when prescribing hydroxychloroquine in combination with zinc for the most severely-ill COVID-19 patients."
Eric, one easy thing to keep in mind during this crazy situation of dealing with an entirely new threat: the plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.

Keep safe, my friend, and continue making those awesome videos. (fyi - Thessalonia with the partial capo is just lovely.) There are good reasons that science has developed standards for testing, double blinds, peer review, etc. If a result cannot be readily duplicated by other researches, then the conclusion - no matter how favorable it may sound - is no better than a placebo effect.
Old 04-08-2020, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Patients who have been treated by Cardillo give him awful reviews.
* Wow I did not see those, but then again there were only three reviews so maybe that's not enough or maybe that's all ya need LOL! However, good point; thanks DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MChild62 View Post
Eric, one easy thing to keep in mind during this crazy situation of dealing with an entirely new threat: the plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.

Keep safe, my friend, and continue making those awesome videos. (fyi - Thessalonia with the partial capo is just lovely.) There are good reasons that science has developed standards for testing, double blinds, peer review, etc. If a result cannot be readily duplicated by other researches, then the conclusion - no matter how favorable it may sound - is no better than a placebo effect.
** True that on the double blinds MC... our determination to find answers sometimes brings about a bit of desperation... Thank you for the kind words on Thessalonia buddy and thank you for chiming in here with good points!!

eric
Old 04-08-2020, 12:20 PM

Default yup

3% peroxide. Use it on everything...masks, ears, etc.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic