The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-04-2020, 06:56 PM

Default OM rosette width on a Florentine cutaway?

I decided to build a guitar on my “coronacation” since it looks like a bit till I get to go back to work. Anyone have a good reference for the width of a rosette on an OM Florentine? I don’t want it to look like an eyesore but also don’t want it to be puny? .75 inches in width total? 1 inch total? It appears to be at least about .25 inches from the sound hole to begin with. Thanks.

Last edited by Rapdog; 04-04-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:16 AM
Music soothes the soul!

My Kostal rosette looks perfectly sized to me and it is 11/16" across one side including the black purfling.

Old 04-05-2020, 06:56 AM

Thank you Cigarfan. I will a for that. R
Old 04-05-2020, 10:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

I think the best option would be to draw it out and see how it looks. There are so many variables that would determine rosette width -- depth of the cutaway. soundhole size, how far inboard the top purfling goes, rosette design, etc.

As an example, the Kostal has relatively little top purfling. If there was pearl or some sort of more substantial purfling, I think you'd want a smaller rosette. Or if the soundhole was bound you'd probably want a smaller rosette -- it would look bigger even though binding the soundhole doesn't push it closer to the purfling.

Overall I'd say be wary of any "standard" measurements unless you're looking to do a Martin copy or something similar.
instagram
Old 04-05-2020, 11:38 AM

IMHO, 1/4" from the soundhole edge is too much. Martins are around 0.1", but they mostly consist of three narrow rings. The Kostal appears to be somewhere in between, and looks fine for a single wide band. Depth of the cutaway is the unknown.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair