The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

image.jpg

This is another example...
Old 02-08-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
The FT-16C (Penngrove) I made for B.I.G.er, and LaConner if it makes it that far, is complete, and I have been playing it for a few days. If I were only able to bring one guitar, and folks were feeling judgmental, this one will make me look pretty good, I think.

Bruce you build such special guitars- they are always so beautiful, built for players, with great tone. My introduction to great guitars was at Woodstock a number of years ago now, and you had me take your pear guitar to a quiet place and play it. It changed what I thought a good guitar could do. This clearly looks like another great one! I'm sure people at Tom's BIG event will enjoy it immensely.

beth
Old 02-08-2020, 11:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Throughout my career there have been the occasional guitars that spike above the status quo of their time. The 2014 Pear 000 was one of those. A glowing beacon to guide my work to yet another new level.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yesterday I bent the sides, and today I glued them to the blocks and to the top with peone.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Looks like I will close this box later today. I still have to fit the back braces into the sides and put in the center seam reinforcement, but that won't take long, mostly it's waiting for the glue to dry.

The reinforcement for the side port is more thought out than my previous examples.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Bruce, I was looking at the photos of this beautiful “Penngrove” in your post inspired me to spend some time playing the Australian Blackwood/Adirondack Spruce FT-16-C (basically a Penngrove with a pinched waist like a J-185 without the 1/4” multi-scale) that you built for me about 2-1/2 years ago yesterday. My guitar has developed into that truly magical guitar that has an articulate bass, strong fundamental midrange/treble timbre that we are accustomed to hearing with mahogany guitars but with enhanced sustain and overtones evocative of a rosewood instrument.

I know how well you work with D. tucarensis, and I am sure that this “Penngrove” will be superb. This guitar should go home with someone at B.I.G.er in March or La Conner in May...

We see an amazing array of beautiful instruments here on the AGF Custom Shop. Luthier made guitars are indeed beautiful objects, but those rare few go beyond beauty and craftsmanship incorporating true “mastery” like I feel that your’s do. I think sometimes we loose sight of the fact that guitars are “tools” for musicians and when done well, should get out of the way and help the player make their music. In the the best cases, when they are made as yours are, they take a player creatively to places where they have not been before (kudos)...

Quote:
The FT-16C (Penngrove) I made for B.I.G.er, and LaConner if it makes it that far, is complete, and I have been playing it for a few days. If I were only able to bring one guitar, and folks were feeling judgmental, this one will make me look pretty good, I think.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

This morning I have the P L00 box closed, cleaned up, and ready for the binding process:

This is the second time I have knife-carved the side port rather than cutting it with a Dremel router, and the result is superior to my eye despite the shape being roughly the same.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely beautiful Bruce. Love all your posts and really thrilled with my first new build experience
Old 02-11-2020, 02:56 PM

The shape of that port seems more organic than most - I really like it.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
The shape of that port seems more organic than most - I really like it.
To the best of my ability, it is an ellipse with two orbital focuses.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here is the top w/binding. I find this one of the more dramatic moments, not least because this is the first time the radii of the compound curve that is the cutaway are in balance to each other. I want them similar, but the white line in the purfling should be the closest to true.

Old 02-11-2020, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Looks GREAT...
Old 02-11-2020, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Smile Yep

As iim7V71m7 so aptly put:

"I know how well you work with D. tucarensis, and I am sure that this “Penngrove” will be superb. This guitar should go home with someone at B.I.G.er in March or La Conner in May...

We see an amazing array of beautiful instruments here on the AGF Custom Shop. Luthier made guitars are indeed beautiful objects, but those rare few go beyond beauty and craftsmanship incorporating true “mastery” like I feel that your’s do. I think sometimes we loose sight of the fact that guitars are “tools” for musicians and when done well, should get out of the way and help the player make their music. In the the best cases, when they are made as yours are, they take a player creatively to places where they have not been before (kudos)..."

Yes, exactly! And, of course the hardest thing to convey is the SOUND. Which is the reason to go there at all!!!

Folks want sound clips and videos but to my ear they all pale in comparison to holding the axe and really playing it.

Bruce's have that magic tone that keeps you smiling

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-12-2020, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here is the top w/binding. I find this one of the more dramatic moments, not least because this is the first time the radii of the compound curve that is the cutaway are in balance to each other. I want them similar, but the white line in the purfling should be the closest to true.

That German Spruce top is very sweet and the binding & rosette are very classy.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

The top appears a bit boring in the picture, I know, but that is because it is nearly flawless. A promising thing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop