The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2016, 11:55 AM

Default Request: Highway 61 Guitar Emporiums

In a few weeks time, I am doing a road trip with some buddies along the Blues Highway, starting in New Orleans and ending up in Memphis. There will be lots of music on the way - jazz, blues, zydeco, R&B, and the rest. And, yes, I will be selling my soul to the devil at the crossroads .

It would be great to mark the trip by adding to my guitar collection; something in keeping with the ambience of that part of the country and its vast musical heritage. Maybe a resonator? Stella? Gibson? Lots of thoughts... I won't be spending big bucks, but I don't want anything cheap either.

So what I'm asking for is recommendations of great guitar stores you know along the way. Not the big chains, but the little independent guys who know what they are doing and are likely to have stock of instruments which have been well loved and now need a new home.

If you have any ideas, I'd be grateful. TIA.
Guitars by: Tom Sands, Michael Bashkin, Turnstone Guitars, Taran Guitars, Jeff Bamburg, Marchwood, Fylde, C F Martin, Patrick James Eggle, John Kinnaird, Yairi, Yamaha, National, Gretsch, Fender, Recording King, Camps
Old 05-31-2016, 03:42 PM

I don't know Borb,im in the UK to..But sounds like a good trip..
Old 05-31-2016, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Keep going until you get to Nashville.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
Keep going until you get to Nashville.
The Blues Highway heads on up to Chicago, but we're stopping in Memphis. I've been to Chicago (and the blues clubs there) a few times already. Going to Nashville is a great idea, but it'll have to wait until next time. It deserves more time than we've got.
Guitars by: Tom Sands, Michael Bashkin, Turnstone Guitars, Taran Guitars, Jeff Bamburg, Marchwood, Fylde, C F Martin, Patrick James Eggle, John Kinnaird, Yairi, Yamaha, National, Gretsch, Fender, Recording King, Camps

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion