The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Default Kestrel Report - piece by piece

Playability and sound are the two things I am most concerned about in any instrument, but I will leave the sound off until later. I'll also save the travel, arrival, guitar details and initial reactions for later. For now just playability.

First here is a link to a picture of it in the elements.https://photos.app.goo.gl/V5ncoRe1BAFNaXwR7

Playability - pretty awesome. Not sure what the neck is. I am thinking shallow C. It feels good whatever it is. Nice and solid. With the bridge and truss I can dial in pretty much any height I want on the stings.

The guitar feels great sitting or standing. In someways it feels a little smaller than an X20 (back to front thickness for example) and in some ways it feels bigger (wider bout). I can't slouch (sitting) as much as I can with the X20 or an L1 sized guitar, but it's still comfortable playing while sprawled out on a couch.

The Kestrel strings feel a little narrower up the neck too, but that's not a problem. I am not a fast enough picker for that to be a problem for me.

Let me know what else you want to know. I will get to other topics, but you can lead the discussion.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?

Last edited by mot; 12-15-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Looking forward to the whole of your over-all impressions. Such a fine-looking guitar!
Old 12-15-2019, 04:10 PM
Guest 928

What is the width of this beautiful guitar?
Old 12-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

That is a great-looking guitar!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
What is the width of this beautiful guitar?
All the dimensions here, Evan - 16.5” is the answer to your question.

https://emeraldguitars.com/guitars/s...tions/#kestrel
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-15-2019, 04:49 PM

Sooooooo SEXY!
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 12-15-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post

Let me know what else you want to know. I will get to other topics, but you can lead the discussion.
Is it just me, or is that instrument crazy thin?
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-15-2019, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Is it just me, or is that instrument crazy thin?
Compared with what? The Kestrel is not primarily an acoustic guitar...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-15-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
As an owner of an acoustic-only X10 and an Eastman AR805 archtop I'm most interested in acoustic-only sound comparison between your X20 and Kestral.

Last edited by JimCA; 12-15-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
The Kestrel is not primarily an acoustic guitar...
The Kestrel is about the same size and thickness of a Super 400 or L5. The thicker arch tops have more bass and they vary by as little as an 1/8 inch in some models where you can hear the difference. You can find fully acoustic arch tops clocking in at 3 inches or maybe less. The Kestrel is 3.5 inches thick and can hold it's own in a chunka chunka situation without need of amp even if it's providing the rhythm for a brass section. As a soloing instrument it'll likely need to be amplified if in the same group with the brass though.

Nice thing is that it can go both ways as the need arises. I haven't tried it with any players yet, but I think it is easily loud enough to solo with a django style group without any amplification. I want to check it for feedback issues too. I suspect it will be fine, but I haven't checked in a loud-ish setting yet. I was at a venue this evening where I could have tested feedback if I had thought to bring the Kestrel with me.

Compared to the X20 or X30 the Kestrel has a noticeably weak bass. However this guitar can pin a fly to a wall across the room in the midrange without an amp in ways those flattops could never do.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 12-15-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
As an owner of an acoustic-only X10 and an Eastman AR805 archtop I'm most interested in acoustic-only sound comparison between your X10 and Kestral.
I would love to try an 805, but haven't had the opportunity. I would guess it's sound is similar to the Kestrel, but I don't know.

I don't have an X10. I have played one, but I don't remember enough to make any sound comparisons.

I remember the X30 in that it's like a big brother of an X20, but the X10 didn't register in my memory as well.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
However this guitar can pin a fly to a wall across the room in the midrange without an amp in ways those flattops could never do.
This is because of the physics of the body and those F-holes. Basically this baby has about a 90 degree projection off the face where the sound is a lot louder than anywhere else. It's even louder than what the player hears.

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-16-2019 at 06:48 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I would love to try an 805, but haven't had the opportunity. I would guess it's sound is similar to the Kestrel, but I don't know.

I don't have an X10. I have played one, but I don't remember enough to make any sound comparisons.

I remember the X30 in that it's like a big brother of an X20, but the X10 didn't register in my memory as well.
OK, but I was asking about your Kestrel vs your X20 (sorry, I mistakenly said your X10 ).

Last edited by JimCA; 12-15-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:27 AM

No worries. Anything particular?

The X20 blends the chords a lot more than the Kestrel when strumming. The Kestrel has less overtones I think.

I spent some time at a Guitar Center a few years ago trying to decide whether to get the Rainsong they had in stock. I felt it's chords where crisper than the X20. I finally went with a Lucky 13 which felt more bluesy.

The Kestrel is on the other side of that Rainsong in crispness. For busking on a busy street without an amp those Kestrel chords will likely cut through a lot more.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:40 AM

That is a fine looking guitar.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber