The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-06-2022, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Default LR Baggs Element vs Anthem StagePro (RainSong and EV30M content)

I've been gigging my two RainSong guitars through my EV30M almost exclusively the last several months. Mostly the Black Ice dread with the Element StagePro. I originally purchased the BI dread to have something bigger and brighter sounding than the smaller, darker Nashville OM Shorty for gigs that were non-amplified, especially for those fingerstyle songs. But in short order the BI become my preferred go-to gigging guitar. Not sure why... maybe just new-guitaritis? Either way, it's worked very well.

We added the EV30M over the summer and it has been fantastic. I dialed both guitars in to the EV30M shortly after getting it but just defaulted to the BI with the Element StagePro. The LR Baggs StagePro system, for those that don't know, are pickup systems with a (dreaded, by some) barn door preamp. I can understand not wanting a big, gaudy preamp in your fine all-wood guitar but in an already high-tech looking carbon fiber guitar it just works. And having the ability to tweak your EQ levels, plus gain, plus tuning, PLUS notch, is just fantastic for the gigging performer.

The Element system is just an undersaddle (UST) system while the Anthem adds an internal mic to blend in as desired. Our prolific YouTube gear reviewer Aaron Short (AeroUSA) likes this system, especially the Anthem version and has done a few conversions of the Element over to the Anthem. He has on more than one occasion chided me for not converting the Black Ice over but I've always poo-poo'd his overtures. Today we played a new and wonderful venue that was super fun. For giggles I decided to use the RainSong Nashville OM Shorty which has the Baggs Anthem StagePro.

WOW! What a fantastic sound!! I'd forgotten how great this system sounds especially through the fantastic EV30M. So much more warmth and depth with the added internal mic blend. Aaron was right. This system definitely adds a lot more great amplified tone over the Element StagePro. It does cost a bit in output power, but not enough to be problematic if you're running your own gear. I'll be eagerly awaiting his next video review where he demo's (I believe) and discusses doing this swap over which he says is really not all that hard to do.

Last edited by Methos1979; 12-06-2022 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Some photos from today's assisted living gig. Great room, big with lots of natural Reverb and a great audience of really sweet retirement community residents that loved the show. We love doing our holiday shows this time is year!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification