The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-01-2022, 07:59 AM

Default NUX MIGHTY AIR VS SPARK MINI

I have seen many of these practice amps compared....but not these two. Seems odd since they are the ones in the same price range. I was going to jump on the NUX as it seems to be all over youtube as THE must have practice amp of 2022. But then I also saw that some thought the Spark mini was the best. I know its subjective to some degree.....but I would hate to get one and find out I would have like the other better. I've read the Spark has better tone (although some say the original bigger Spark amp sounded too dark and bass heavy). The NUX has the wireless, but some say it kinda looks like a toy, which it does. Some say it sounds thin. I just want great tone at a low volume so I can practice in my apartment and in my bedroom. Anyone have both or tried both and has an opinion. I am into good clean sounds like Vox ac 30 and fenders and also a good overdriven sound for lead(duh!). Can the Spark mini work in bypass mode with the adapter and used plugged in, I'm not buying this for a portable....it would be a small home practice amp.Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-02-2022, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

I travel with a NUX regularly and have tried the bigger Spark before but not the mini one. I'm curious about this comparison as well.

I also have a THR30ii. I usually use them mostly for amplified acoustic (and nylon folding travel guitar) but I also have a snapdragon travel electric.

Of the three above the Yamaha had the best tone to my ears the Spark the most volume.

The NUX is an entirely different size class and hands down works way better for airplane travel but it definitely has less volume than the Yamaha. I felt the full size Spark was muddier than the Yamaha but still decent. Its hard to compare the NUX to the spark due to the volume difference but I personally like the tone on the NUX.

Of the three I usually use the Yamaha as my home practice amp sometimes the NUX.

If I were to have just one for home practice of the above three it would be the Yamaha but for travel and practice the NUX sounds quite good and is so convenient and small.

If I was to have just one and travel moderately the NUX would be my choice.

The good news is I think they are all in the good enough category tone wise unlike some practice amps that have come before.
Old 12-02-2022, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

For practicing around your apartment I'd say any of the amps mentioned so far have plenty of volume. I have a NUX and a regular Spark (not the mini). I bought both for practice in my living room. I find myself using the NUX more than the Spark, partly because the NUX is always where I sit when I play. The wireless on the NUX works really well on my guitars (both USTs and SBTs). Regarding the sound, thin is not a word that comes to mind, but I suppose that's all subjective - and depends on the guitar and pickup.

The Spark has way more volume than I need at home. The NUX is about right volume wise for practicing. A couple months ago my wife and some friends rented a house at the beach for a few days. I brought the NUX and a travel guitar (not very loud on its own) to play during the evening happy hour. I could have used a little more volume to compete with the conversation. But around home its fine.

Maybe buy both from Amazon and return the one that doesn't fit?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
nux mighty air, practice amps, spark mini