The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-28-2022, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rule18 View Post
No need to worry whether or not you've done the song justice, you've certainly nailed another one Glenn. One of my favorite things about your renditions is the attention to detail, which was very much obvious on this song.
Hi Craig!

Thank you! I really appreciate your comments and the time you took to listen.

I'm not sure I was worrying about doing the song justice, but when a person covers such a well known song from a singer like Chris Isaak who has such a really sweet, musical falsetto voice, my version could look a little lame to some folks, especially at my age. I really appreciate that you feel this came out well! Thank you!

I do like to pay attention to detail in a song. I guess it's the engineer in me. I wish I had the ability to understand songs in my younger years that I seem to have developed in my older years after playing for 6 decades. Maybe it's just as well, though. I've had a good life and it probably would have been messed up if I had tried too hard to make it in the music business.

I am so glad you thought this came out well! And I hope you are doing well, too! Enjoy the holidays coming up!

- Glenn
Old 11-28-2022, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Very nice, Glenn! I always enjoy the production value of your videos, puts my simple lyric videos to shame.
Thank you so much, Jeremy!

I appreciate your thoughts and comments very much. I know that you know what goes into a video like this.

At the same time, I really enjoy watching your videos, Jeremy! I find what you do to be really interesting, especially for your original songs. And there is some advantage for the viewer in not having to watch some 70+ year-old guy try to put across a song.

Thank you for taking time to watch and to comment, Jeremy! I really appreciate it!

I hope all is well for you and your family! Enjoy the holidays!

- Glenn
Old 11-28-2022, 06:14 PM
AGF Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Thank you so much, Jeremy!

I appreciate your thoughts and comments very much. I know that you know what goes into a video like this.

At the same time, I really enjoy watching your videos, Jeremy! I find what you do to be really interesting, especially for your original songs. And there is some advantage for the viewer in not having to watch some 70+ year-old guy try to put across a song.

Thank you for taking time to watch and to comment, Jeremy! I really appreciate it!

I hope all is well for you and your family! Enjoy the holidays!

- Glenn
Thanks, Glenn! I think watching someone play is far more interesting than watching words come and go on a screen, I'm just too nervous to get in front of the camera.
Old 11-28-2022, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Thanks, Glenn! I think watching someone play is far more interesting than watching words come and go on a screen, I'm just too nervous to get in front of the camera.
Well, we are each going to have own comfort zone to work in. I have gotten used to being up in front of people while playing for a lot of years, so the only thing that bothers me is getting old. But... that cannot be helped.

Be well Jeremy!

- Glenn
Old 11-28-2022, 08:14 PM

Wicked Great rendition Glenn..
As always, excellent.

Bill
Old 11-28-2022, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenstrings View Post
Wicked Great rendition Glenn..
As always, excellent.

Bill
Hi Bill!

Thank you! I do appreciate your humor!

I'm so glad you feel this came out well! It was a fun project and I learned a few things! Thank you for taking time to listen and comment!

Thank you for your kind words!

I hope all is well for you! Take care!

- Glenn
Old 11-29-2022, 01:46 AM
Charter Member

This is brilliant Glenn, one of my favourites that you've done!
Old 11-29-2022, 07:15 AM

Thank you so much, what a great rendition! my mother had an expression when she saw someone who was really happy ,she'd say "he was in his glory" well you look, "in your glory", and your joy comes out in your wonderful performance. Dan
Old 11-29-2022, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have always loved this song and finally decided to see what I could do with this. I hope I have done the song justice.
- Glenn
Hi Glenn,
Mission accomplished! Wow.
I agree. One of your best. And that's saying a lot, given the high quality of all your posted performances.
I too have always loved that song, from the first time I heard it, which I believe was in the David Lynch film "Wild At Heart" years ago.
Only a strat can take you to the unique vibe of that tune, and you captured the sound perfectly, but you're right that it's all about the vocals. I can appreciate how difficult it was for you to nail down Chris Isaak's phrasing, but you did it so beautifully. Kudos for that, and for all the playing.
Glenn, I hope you took a moment to pat yourself on the back for this one. Well deserved, and well done!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 11-29-2022, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkycat View Post
This is brilliant Glenn, one of my favourites that you've done!
Thank you Honkycat!

I am really pleased that you like this! Thank you for your kind comments!

Thank you, too, for taking time to watch and then comment here to offer support! It's all much appreciated!

I hope things are well for you and that you will enjoy the coming Christmas season. You take care!

- Glenn
Old 11-29-2022, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbgit View Post
Thank you so much, what a great rendition! my mother had an expression when she saw someone who was really happy ,she'd say "he was in his glory" well you look, "in your glory", and your joy comes out in your wonderful performance. Dan
Thank you Dan!

How nice of you! Thank you for your kind comments!

Interesting comments from your mother. I do think that when I have a song memorized and internalized, like this one, that I do sort of absorb the song and turn myself over to it. I'm not really sure what happens internally, but it's almost a spiritual thing. Your mom's expression of being "in my glory" is probably fairly accurate! I am guessing the same thing happens to you. A good performance of a good song is pretty emotional.

Thank you for watching and for your generous efforts to provide support here! Much appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 11-29-2022, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Hi Glenn,
Mission accomplished! Wow.
I agree. One of your best. And that's saying a lot, given the high quality of all your posted performances.
I too have always loved that song, from the first time I heard it, which I believe was in the David Lynch film "Wild At Heart" years ago.
Only a strat can take you to the unique vibe of that tune, and you captured the sound perfectly, but you're right that it's all about the vocals. I can appreciate how difficult it was for you to nail down Chris Isaak's phrasing, but you did it so beautifully. Kudos for that, and for all the playing.
Glenn, I hope you took a moment to pat yourself on the back for this one. Well deserved, and well done!
Thank you Andre!

You always offer such supportive, generous comments! Thank you very much for listening and taking time to be so kind. I really appreciate it! I'm really pleased that you feel this cover came across well! I really enjoyed working on this, a real labor of love.

Chris Isaak's music really fit right into the David Lynch film "Wild At Heart" and also the "Twin Peaks" TV series. So much of Chris Isaak's music is about love lost, and that subject can so often create moody stuff.

I have, I think, 7 of Chris Isaak's CD albums and I have been listening to them lately while working out in the afternoon in my studio. For me, his music is really appealing, and I love the lead guitar work from his band, The Silvertones. Isn't that a great name for a band? I love it!

Thank you again, Andre! You've made my day with your kind comments!

- Glenn
Old 11-29-2022, 06:02 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Dang it, Glenn! Another incredible production!

I love your playing and your singing... top notch... but when you add on top of it the production work... it's simply stellar.

I've not seen it asked before (forgive me if it has), but is this something you started working hard on later in life or were you this into music/production in your younger years? I ask because I have to believe that if this is something you only really got serious about later in life... I shudder to think what you might have done if it had been your life-long pursuit!

What you are doing is quite complex and detailed, and thank you for sharing!

Well done, again!
Old 11-29-2022, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
Dang it, Glenn! Another incredible production!

I love your playing and your singing... top notch... but when you add on top of it the production work... it's simply stellar.

I've not seen it asked before (forgive me if it has), but is this something you started working hard on later in life or were you this into music/production in your younger years? I ask because I have to believe that if this is something you only really got serious about later in life... I shudder to think what you might have done if it had been your life-long pursuit!

What you are doing is quite complex and detailed, and thank you for sharing!

Well done, again!
Hi GITM,

Thank you for your very kind and complementary comments! I very much appreciate not only your comments but that you think I did well with this cover.

I retired from full-time work as an engineer in March 2016 at age 68. About November 2016 I resigned from being a moderator here on the forum. At that point I decided to start a YouTube channel because I finally would have the time. I had done some trial video work but had never put up anything out in the public until then. This was the first video I put up on my YouTube channel...

I'm sure for many people, I should have just kept doing what I did in the video above. But as I learned more about video and more about recording, I started doing some multi-channel productions like "Wicked Game."

My family and I did some professional performing back from 1986-1992 around the Pacific Northwest where my wife and I put together all original songs about the Northwest and our family performed about 30 community concert performances per year over those years. We produced two albums plus a Christmas album, recorded in our own studio with a Tascam 388 8-track tape machine.

So I had some considerable experience doing multi-track recording in the past, but I have never done video work prior to this.

So a lot of what I have learned has been over the last 6 years, though I have been fascinated with recording since I was 16 years old when I first started playing.

I am pretty sure that my life worked out best with me being an engineer and then being able to do music on the side. My life was stable that way and we had a very good family life. And, it turns out I was a reasonably successful engineer.

Sometimes I wish I knew more of this stuff about music a lot earlier in life, but, well, ... I really didn't have the time. I had a very responsible job and children to raise. And again, I think things worked out better this way.

Thanks for your kind thoughts and comments GITM. It's fun to be able to do this stuff now that I'm retired and I'm not worried about having to make money from this. Trying to make it in the music business was hard 30 years ago and it's even harder today.

- Glenn
Old 11-30-2022, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi GITM,

Thank you for your very kind and complementary comments! I very much appreciate not only your comments but that you think I did well with this cover.

I retired from full-time work as an engineer in March 2016 at age 68. About November 2016 I resigned from being a moderator here on the forum. At that point I decided to start a YouTube channel because I finally would have the time. I had done some trial video work but had never put up anything out in the public until then. This was the first video I put up on my YouTube channel...

I'm sure for many people, I should have just kept doing what I did in the video above. But as I learned more about video and more about recording, I started doing some multi-channel productions like "Wicked Game."

My family and I did some professional performing back from 1986-1992 around the Pacific Northwest where my wife and I put together all original songs about the Northwest and our family performed about 30 community concert performances per year over those years. We produced two albums plus a Christmas album, recorded in our own studio with a Tascam 388 8-track tape machine.

So I had some considerable experience doing multi-track recording in the past, but I have never done video work prior to this.

So a lot of what I have learned has been over the last 6 years, though I have been fascinated with recording since I was 16 years old when I first started playing.

I am pretty sure that my life worked out best with me being an engineer and then being able to do music on the side. My life was stable that way and we had a very good family life. And, it turns out I was a reasonably successful engineer.

Sometimes I wish I knew more of this stuff about music a lot earlier in life, but, well, ... I really didn't have the time. I had a very responsible job and children to raise. And again, I think things worked out better this way.

Thanks for your kind thoughts and comments GITM. It's fun to be able to do this stuff now that I'm retired and I'm not worried about having to make money from this. Trying to make it in the music business was hard 30 years ago and it's even harder today.

- Glenn
Really enjoyed Wicked Ways and equally I enjoyed a bit of Glenn history above!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell