The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-25-2022, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks everyone. Lot's of ideas. I like the theme thoughts and it would be fun incorporating subtle little clues from the show like the Acme headstock logo. This wouldn't be for everyone, the harrumph harrumph crowd, I'm sure, would choke on this one

m
Just play this for the naysayers…

An acoustic Coyote with Gordon Lighthoot, Bob Dylan and Roger McGuinn backing up Joni Mitchell. Boom goes the dynamite.

Last edited by sinistral; 10-25-2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 04:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Just play this for the naysayers…

An acoustic Coyote with Gordon Lighthoot, Bob Dylan and Roger McGuinn backing up Joni Mitchell. Boom goes the dynamite.
Well that gives the coyote some musical cred!

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 10-25-2022, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks everyone. Lot's of ideas. I like the theme thoughts and it would be fun incorporating subtle little clues from the show like the Acme headstock logo. This wouldn't be for everyone, the harrumph harrumph crowd, I'm sure, would choke on this one

m

Maybe it isn’t for everyone, but so what? Blast them with your Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-26-2022, 04:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Maybe it isn’t for everyone, but so what? Blast them with your Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator!!
Easy Marvin. Let’s just hope it doesn’t come to that!

m

Steven Wright
Old 10-28-2022, 12:48 PM

A little late to the party, but just wanted to comment that I literally LOLed when seeing the proposed sound port! Good stuff!

Favorite post of the week. I hope to see that it becomes reality down the road.

Old 10-28-2022, 01:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
A little late to the party, but just wanted to comment that I literally LOLed when seeing the proposed sound port! Good stuff!

Favorite post of the week. I hope to see that it becomes reality down the road.

Thanks FormerFoodie, glad you enjoyed it!

m

Steven Wright
Old 10-28-2022, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Check out Mark Knoflers Coyote

https://youtu.be/Huf-7dZ8Rts

Old 10-29-2022, 02:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHall View Post
Check out Mark Knoflers Coyote

https://youtu.be/Huf-7dZ8Rts
You are certainly building the case for this sound port

Steven Wright
Old 11-27-2022, 04:25 AM

You can't tease something like this and not follow though!!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 11-27-2022, 05:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
You can't tease something like this and not follow though!!!
Zandit75 I'm not teasing. You order it, I'll build it!

m

Steven Wright
Old 11-30-2022, 04:29 PM

I'm curious, Mark, what you've observed regarding all those different sound ports (shapes/sizes) and their effect on the overall sound the guitar projects, or the quality of sound that the port itself specifically projects?

Just thinking about it from my position of ignorance, I would think that it actually wouldn't matter much, because only high frequencies are highly directional. So even though it wouldn't impact the directionality of the bass, it wouldn't matter because the bass frequencies are still more likely to be heard. But I do wonder if the size and shape impacts the quality and clarity of the mid-range frequencies we want to hear, or if it just helps recover the very directional high frequency sparkle for the player, especially, e.g., in outdoor settings where you don't get any reflections. I swear, playing outdoors really messes with me psychologically for that reason alone.

I also have assumed, likewise, that a sound port would reduce the high frequency information projected out the front of the guitar, so would require different mic placement in recording, or need to be covered up to retain the quality of high frequency sound the mic or audience pics up. I've always like the idea of a sound port (or Emerald's placement of their sound hole, which splits the difference beautifully in my opinion), but would never get one without having some means of easily plugging it up with something of similar hardness and reflectivity as the wood.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanay View Post
I'm curious, Mark, what you've observed regarding all those different sound ports (shapes/sizes) and their effect on the overall sound the guitar projects, or the quality of sound that the port itself specifically projects?

Just thinking about it from my position of ignorance, I would think that it actually wouldn't matter much, because only high frequencies are highly directional. So even though it wouldn't impact the directionality of the bass, it wouldn't matter because the bass frequencies are still more likely to be heard. But I do wonder if the size and shape impacts the quality and clarity of the mid-range frequencies we want to hear, or if it just helps recover the very directional high frequency sparkle for the player, especially, e.g., in outdoor settings where you don't get any reflections. I swear, playing outdoors really messes with me psychologically for that reason alone.

I also have assumed, likewise, that a sound port would reduce the high frequency information projected out the front of the guitar, so would require different mic placement in recording, or need to be covered up to retain the quality of high frequency sound the mic or audience pics up. I've always like the idea of a sound port (or Emerald's placement of their sound hole, which splits the difference beautifully in my opinion), but would never get one without having some means of easily plugging it up with something of similar hardness and reflectivity as the wood.
The size, shape and position all make a difference with sound ports. You are right that it is the mids and trebles that you are getting as the player. You already can hear the bass anyway. My experience is that a sound port adds clarity, texture and definition which are typically what players are after when they are playing all hunched over to get their ears in front of the guitar.

If the sound port design is not radical there is no perceived difference in projection for the audience. If anything they can hear better because you can play without your head in the way

The general rule for position is it should be pointing at you. You should be able to look right down into the guitar from your (new and more comfortable) playing position.

Some interesting things about shapes is an oval is more efficient than a round hole and designs with multiple holes can act like a sound screen rather than a bunch of small sound port holes.

You could get a little sliding door made of a similar wood to easily close off the hole but, if the sound port works right, you'd never have a reason to use it.

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 11-30-2022 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 08:17 PM

Interesting and useful observations. - thanks for that. Most sound ports are in the upper bout, which makes sense in that your right arm does not interfere with the sound coming from the port to your ear.. One maker I have used locates his in the lower bout. I thought of this and reasoned, "Well, the lower bout is certainly far more resonant that the upper, so maybe that is the better location."

Playing it, the only conclusion I can make is that it does not seem to be better as a result. And maybe it isn't worse. Your thoughts here?

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-01-2022, 04:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Interesting and useful observations. - thanks for that. Most sound ports are in the upper bout, which makes sense in that your right arm does not interfere with the sound coming from the port to your ear.. One maker I have used locates his in the lower bout. I thought of this and reasoned, "Well, the lower bout is certainly far more resonant that the upper, so maybe that is the better location."

Playing it, the only conclusion I can make is that it does not seem to be better as a result. And maybe it isn't worse. Your thoughts here?
You’re welcome. I was very slow to come around on sound ports. Obviously that’s changed over the years.
Other than agreeing with you about the possibility of being muffled by an arm, I just haven’t paid attention to them.

Ryan makes cool looking vent style ports on arm bevels.

I’ve never tried them. I’ll reserve forming an opinion. I was fooled once by sound ports. I’ll try not to be the fool on the second time around.

m

Steven Wright
Old 12-01-2022, 11:01 AM

In terms of forward projection, I have read many articles, posts, etc. that say the forward projection of the guitar with a sound port is actually better than those without. I remember one in which there was a sliding cover that could be used to open and close the port and they discover that forward projection was indeed better with the port open by measuring decibel levels I believe.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop