The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 10-23-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Well both of these are electrics, so I can't speak about hem, but these are my archtops (all 1 & 3/4").

I have seen your work on YouTube, and thanks!
Not sure I will not opt for the acoustic Eastman.
Tom
Old 10-23-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I'd be the dissenter here, if you're looking to play plugged in jazz, the 125 is the guitar, imho.

Eastman makes great guitars, but their tone aesthetic is not my bag.
Thank you for that option. I have heard the 125 on YouTube and it is nice and mellow. Tom
Old 10-23-2022, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmont View Post
Thank you for that option. I have heard the 125 on YouTube and it is nice and mellow...
Don't rule out the Godin Kingpin: bit of a different (but equally valid) tonal vibe - the ultra-lightweight construction gives some "air," reminiscent to my ears of an old Brooklyn Gretsch, to the P-90's prominent midrange - and, as I stated above, a lot easier on the wallet than a decent-condition ES-125 (which is now well into the $2K+ range); incidentally, the good Mr. B. does some really nice things with his (check out some of his vids on YouTube) - and as an owner I'm kinda surprised he didn't mention it here...

There's also the new Godin 5th Avenue Jumbo P-Rail, which gives you the option of three distinct pickup tonalities (P-90, humbucker, and "Fender" single-coil - the latter more DeArmond-like in this application IMO) with the added richness and depth of the larger body; the only drawbacks here are the Bigsby (which adds a substantial amount of unwanted weight to what would be a 5 lb.+/- guitar ) and the hefty-looking tune-o-matic bridge - both of which are replaceable at a total cost of ~$75 or so from StewMac. Here's a demo:

Old 10-24-2022, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Don't rule out the Godin Kingpin: bit of a different (but equally valid) tonal vibe - the ultra-lightweight construction gives some "air," reminiscent to my ears of an old Brooklyn Gretsch, to the P-90's prominent midrange - and, as I stated above, a lot easier on the wallet than a decent-condition ES-125 (which is now well into the $2K+ range); incidentally, the good Mr. B. does some really nice things with his (check out some of his vids on YouTube) - and as an owner I'm kinda surprised he didn't mention it here...

There's also the new Godin 5th Avenue Jumbo P-Rail, which gives you the option of three distinct pickup tonalities (P-90, humbucker, and "Fender" single-coil - the latter more DeArmond-like in this application IMO) with the added richness and depth of the larger body; the only drawbacks here are the Bigsby (which adds a substantial amount of unwanted weight to what would be a 5 lb.+/- guitar ) and the hefty-looking tune-o-matic bridge - both of which are replaceable at a total cost of ~$75 or so from StewMac. Here's a demo:

Hey thanks-- you know the only reason I didn't mention it is I know it can be frustrating when people start a thread about 2 guitars and then they get 20 others thrown at them.

But yeah, the lowly Kingpin is a great single pickup jazzbox. I still play mine a lot, even though I like my Heritage even better

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 10-24-2022, 10:14 AM

Folks: would anyone know the difference between the AR805CE and the AR503CE?
A local dealer just advised he has a used 503 in stock if I would like to try it.

Last edited by tmont; 10-24-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:03 AM

I think it's laminated back and sides versus solid maple

Old 10-24-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I think it's laminated back and sides versus solid maple
The 805 is solid maple?
And I will check your YouTube channel out!
Thanks
Old 10-24-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
The 805 is solid maple?
And I will check your YouTube channel out!
Thanks
Yes, I think the 800 and 900 series are both solid maple, the difference being the 900 has prettier wood and floating pickups versus set in...

I'm realizing I haven't done any videos with myKingpin in quite a while. I'll need to remedy that. Here's one with a decent amount of single notes and chords so you can get the "full picture" of the sound. I've said for years, best budget archtop on the market.

I tend to play my Heritage more as it's my "nicer" guitar and I like the cutaway, but I'd be comfortable gigging the Kingpin pretty much any where any time.

Old 10-24-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, I think the 800 and 900 series are both solid maple, the difference being the 900 has prettier wood and floating pickups versus set in...

I'm realizing I haven't done any videos with myKingpin in quite a while. I'll need to remedy that. Here's one with a decent amount of single notes and chords so you can get the "full picture" of the sound. I've said for years, best budget archtop on the market.

I tend to play my Heritage more as it's my "nicer" guitar and I like the cutaway, but I'd be comfortable gigging the Kingpin pretty much any where any time.

Wow. Beautiful.
Old 11-01-2022, 02:51 PM

Carter Vintage usually has some player grade ES125's at the store. I got one a few years ago. It has scars, but it has good bones.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco gringo View Post
Carter Vintage usually has some player grade ES-125's at the store....
No more - the only one they have is selling for $2750, and I'd sooner ante up the extra $250 for this 17-incher:

https://cartervintage.com/collection...xe-regent-1949

BTW a lot of savvy local semi-pros bought these (and their postwar Gibson ES-150 counterpart) as dual-purpose acoustic + electric guitars: the best of them could rival a contemporary Triumph/Broadway cutaway for tone and volume, and with the recent re-availability of pure nickel and monel strings (either of which would be period-correct) it could be a true best-of-all-worlds - laminate durability and feedback resistance with viable acoustic response...
Old 11-06-2022, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

I played the 5th Ave Jumbo with the single pickup yesterday (unplugged only). It's a pretty nice guitar, and plays really well. The acoustic sound was fuller than the smaller bodied 5th ave (I've owned a couple, but they've never stuck). Worth checking out.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:33 AM

I gotta Echo What Steve and others have shared regards to Vintage Carved Arch tops. Vintage NY EPIPHONE have always been my choice for Value and Tone quality, and the best bang for the Buck $ . I own Three Old Carved top Epiphone Archtops. All my Acoustic Guitars are Vintage, except for a few Custom Flat top Guitars I crafted over the last 35 years. The High end Eastman guitars continues to get high praise. Few years back the old Gibson ES 120,125,140 and 150 were fairly affordable, but they have become more sought after and command big money now. I really dig the old P-90 pickups and those old laminated entry level Gibson Jazzers from the Golden Era are well built and will continue to last a lifetime. The P-90 pickups are also great for bottle neck slide, playing blues, rockabilly and of course Jazz. Even though I primarily play Acoustic, I am still hanging onto my 1956 ES175D. Best of luck on your search! Sage

Last edited by Sage Runner; 11-16-2022 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-17-2023, 06:46 AM

If you're looking for an archtop electric, an ES-125 is a superb choice, but make sure it still has the original P-90, because many of them were harvested back when the ES-125 was a "cheap" guitar.

I have a very clean '55 that I paid $2000 for a few months ago, and it's an absolute delight to play. It has that wonderfully fulsome, round '50s Gibson neck profile, and the action can go as low as anyone would ever desire. The tone is absolutely lovely too, and it even sounds pretty good unplugged. I have it strung with Thomastik Infeld Jazz Swing flatwound .012s.

In today's skyrocketing vintage guitar market, the ES-125 remains one of the few affordable '50s electric guitars made by one of the major companies.

1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 02-17-2023, 05:37 PM

Quote:
so which do you folks recommend for a first time archtop:
1. Eastman AR805CE or
2. Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin?
Both appear to be highly regarded.
Tom
Eastman, in my opinion/experience, IF you want something that you can enjoy unplugged as well as plugged in.

I've owned a 2007 Eastman MDC805 (the mandocello version of the AR805) for several years. A few years back I swapped out the nut and bridge and now it's an archtop guitar. Added a Kent Armstrong floating neck magnetic pickup and it's similar to an AR805E. I also have a piezo SBT that I can blend with the neck pickup. I have Curt Mangan round core monels on it, .013 (mediums).

It's great unplugged as well as plugged in.

The Godin archtops I've tried didn't have near the same unplugged volume, which is important to me.

Last edited by Mandobart; 02-17-2023 at 05:43 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops