The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-15-2022, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Very cool. Anxious to hear the tone report.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
John,
Somehow the picture of my Kinnaird has taken over the thread title on Tapatalk…so we need more pictures of that Maple!
I have never used the Tapatalk app and am therefore not sure what you mean. I plan to add a couple pics of the progress of the neck to this thread shortly, but don't know if that will do anything to address the problem you mention.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbryan View Post
That Watusi was real! Lol. But it was worth it. Looking forward to seeing it finished!
Yes it was indeed real! But often tines the harder we work to acheive something, the more gratifying it is to accomplish it.
Old 08-16-2022, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

Hey All,

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, my student built guitar has been sent off to Tony in MI for finishing. However, as with many of the other Kinnaird builds, I opted to have Steve complete the finish on the neck. He recently sent along these photos of the progess he is making. It is great to see things moving forward as I wait for a finished guitar (hopefully) in mid October.

John

neck_finish1.jpg

neck_finish2.jpg
Old 08-16-2022, 04:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Very cool. Anxious to hear the tone report.
Thanks. I am not sure how helpful it would be to hear me try use the written language to describe something as subjective as guitar tone. I am a realative newbie with very little experience playing guitars other that my own. I have not been able to quantify terms such as woody, warm, bright etc in my own mind much less determine what they might mean to others.

However, Steve did mentioned he might do a demo recording. While I know youtube video recordings never tell the whole story, I can assure you it would be a whole lot better than any written desciption I could ever put together! Hoping for a mid October arrival. Stay tuned.....

John
Old 09-12-2022, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Well it has been a bit over a month since I completed my 1 week luthier boot camp in Nacogdoches TX. I received an email this morning from Steve that Tony is now busy at work in Michigan performing his magic on my guitar. Below is a sneak peak after the first coat has been applied. Enjoy.

John

first_coat.jpg

first_coat_back.jpg

first_coat_side.jpg
Old 09-13-2022, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Gotta love that Maple!! Beautiful!!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar
Old 09-13-2022, 05:38 PM

Terrible Maple ;-)

You'll spend all your time looking at the guitar - turning it in different directions and never playing it !
Old 09-14-2022, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck7 View Post
Gotta love that Maple!! Beautiful!!
Thanks Jeff! The flame has really come to life with the finish applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulvdb View Post
Terrible Maple ;-)

You'll spend all your time looking at the guitar - turning it in different directions and never playing it !
Thanks Paul. I keep my guitars on wall hangers. This one might actually get hung up with the back facing into the room rather than towards the wall

John
Old 11-19-2022, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Hello all,

Welcome back. I can't believe it has taken this long to finalize this build thread. Steve and Ryan received the guitar back from Tony way back during the 2nd week of October. However, my wife and I had a trip planned to northern MN to take in the fall colors and then 3 weeks later a 2 week trip to Hawaii. Therefore, we planned to meet up to complete the guitar in between the two trips. Alas I became quite ill and had the postpone until returning from the Big Island.

So this past Thursday I made the 6 hour drive to Nacogdoches, TX to finalize the guitar build and bring my new baby home. Quick spoiler alert.... not only does it look great but it sounds pretty great too! I am over the moon with how well it turned out!! I can't thank Steve and Ryan enough for their guidance during the build process. I learned so much. I will echo the sentiments of several of the previous students and say if you are reading this and are even remotely thinking of doing a student build with Steve and Ryan I have but 2 words ... DO IT!!!! You will not be disappointed.

Here are some photos from Day 7 for the final steps and set up. Prior to my arrival the bridge was glued on, the neck attached to the body and the tuning machines installed. My final steps were to:

Level, recrown and polish the frets
day7_polishing frets.jpg

Shape, slot and polish the bone nut
day7_filing nut slots.jpg

Shape, and polish the compensated bone saddle
day7_saddle shaping.jpg

Add strings, tune and smile, smile smile....
day7_very first notes.jpg
day7_sounds good.jpg

Ryan has also taken some high def, studio quality glamour shots of the final product that I will post shortly. In addition, Steve agreed to demo the guitar and Ryan to film/record it so you can hear the final results as well. Ryan stated that he had some editing work to do yet but will post the final product once completed. So stay tuned.....

Thanks to every one who has followed along on this adventure. It has been a blast.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

As promised, here are the studio photos of the finished product; my new Deep Body 00 Sitka over Flamed Bigleaf Maple. Clicking the thumbnails will open the image and allow you to view it in full detail.

John
Old 11-19-2022, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Deep Body?

Aloha!

Anyone who loves guitars as much as most around here do should try to build one, at least one. It opens up worlds & inspires you to play. There's just something about opening up a dialogue with tonewoods that is so addicting & quixotic!

What were the final depths of your 00-sized beauty?

Great job!

alohachris
Old 11-19-2022, 10:41 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations!

What a fascinating approach.

May I ask.....

1. Do they require a certain level of prior wood working experience? If not, I'm not sure how a neophyte who may have to be taught the basics of woodworking can even complete one in a week.

2. Do they precut the neck and some of the wood?

3. How is the precision of the resulting guitar compared to a top flight luthier with impeccable precision in the joinery? I'm curious if everything is done so that the parts first together extremely tightly so that a minimal amount of glue is needed.

Curious.

Thanks and again, Congratulations!
Old 11-20-2022, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, jguns! I know you had a wonderful journey and your guitar looks fabulous.

My student guitar that I built with Steve and Ryan has quickly become my favorite go-to guitar!

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine as you savor the memories you made and those you continue to make with your handmade guitar.
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

Last edited by Nemoman; 11-20-2022 at 05:48 PM. Reason: correction
Old 11-20-2022, 07:14 PM

Congrats John on a STUNNING guitar! I know you'll love the deep body 00 as much as I do. It would be fun to meet up and compare our guitars one day!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop