The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-08-2022, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Default If it’s Too Good to Belleve……..

Musician's Gear Electric, Acoustic and Bass Guitar Stand Black
SKU #451058000001000
I ordered one of these from MF and as usual they were Superman fast in delivering it. The one problem is that the stand is a death trap for your most precious possession. The rear leg of the 3 of them is WAY TOO SHORT and the slightest pressure or bump on the front causes the whole thing, guitar and all to fall over backwards snapping the headstock off stock off cleanly at the top of the neck. Now I know why they are only $9.00. The MF Customer Service did th right thing at again Superman speed d gave me a full refund. Kudos for doing the right things thing, but why are they still selling these?

Yamaha LL-16 ARE
Yamaha FG-830
Ibanez M-520 Mandolin
Michael Kelly Dragonfly 5 Acoustic/Electric Bass
Old 12-08-2022, 07:08 AM

Tripods will hold a surprising amount of weight but are comparatively easy to tip over. Their advantage is that they can be smaller, cheaper, and lighter. But not more stable. You get what you pay for. And there are tripod stands which are not bad and some, as you found, that are. Many of the best-made stands have gone to 5 legs.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
McAlister baritone Adk/Bubinga
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
banjos, mandolin, autoharp..
Old 12-08-2022, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Had moved out of state and away from my Dad for 4 years before I went back to visit.

When I went back. In his music room, his L-4 and J-200 hanging on a double stand. Not sure but I think a Hercules.

I did setups on both guitars while there.

Inspecting guitars, I found deep gouges and scratches.

He said, yes dog ran into stand knocking it over. Acting like, no big deal.

I'd have been devastated.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:22 AM

yea.

I had a whole bunch of them

The ones I didn't give away, I threw out.

I won't use them, IMHO they are accidents waiting to happen.

Get a Hercules if you must leave your guitar on stand. At least you've got a sturdy stand, but it's still not fool (or pet/kid) proof
(The Case is the safe place - always)

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-08-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Had moved out of state and away from my Dad for 4 years before I went back to visit.

When I went back. In his music room, his L-4 and J-200 hanging on a double stand. Not sure but I think a Hercules.

I did setups on both guitars while there.

Inspecting guitars, I found deep gouges and scratches.

He said, yes dog ran into stand knocking it over. Acting like, no big deal.

I'd have been devastated.
I use a hercules double and a triple hanging stands and really like them, don't feel like they could be accidently knocked over. That being said I don't have a dog (just a cat) or kids and probably wouldn't want my guitars anywhere near the floor if I did.
Godin Dorchester 4
Peavey T-20
Old 12-08-2022, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

In my younger days I raced motorcycles (motocross). We used to have a saying that sticks with me to this day - "$100 helmet for a $100 head." I think the same logic applies here.

Also, when I was young, a friend had his brand new American standard strat on a cheap stand. For whatever reason, his family cat in the other room freaked out and came running in, hitting the back of the guitar and knocking it over in a forward direction such that the headstock made first impact with the floor, breaking the neck at the headstock. He was devastated. That also sticks with me to this day.

Moral of the story: I don't have a cat and I use quality guitar stands.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:48 AM

I've been using this model (sparingly) for many years without any problem. Least not yet.
I'm curious to know the length of the short leg on this model. The ones on the stands I'm using are 7" from the edge of the center vertical tube. The longer legs are 12". One review I read said the back/short leg on this model is only 4". That would do it.
Obviously not for a high-traffic are or high-dollar guitar.
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 12-08-2022, 10:38 AM

I own 5 inexpensive stands. The only time they are really used is at a jam. the rest of the time the guitars are in a case.

I believe they are Stag. Got such a deal I couldn't turn it down. A few years back Austin Bazaar had a sale, 10 of these stands for $40. So, a buddy at work and I went together.

They work fine for what I need.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-OF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 12-08-2022, 12:11 PM

My acoustics cost $3,300 and $4,500 respectively. They live on Hercules stands when not in their cases.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 12-08-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
I own 5 inexpensive stands. The only time they are really used is at a jam. the rest of the time the guitars are in a case.

I believe they are Stag. Got such a deal I couldn't turn it down. A few years back Austin Bazaar had a sale, 10 of these stands for $40. So, a buddy at work and I went together.

They work fine for what I need.
yep! they all work fine till your $3k guitar takes a nosedive.

ask me how I know...

ouh the humanity!!!!!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-08-2022, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I like k&m heli 2 stands. They’re built heavily but have a nice rubber padding where it counts , and their design is smart. Made in Germany too.
1957 Gretsch New Yorker
Recording King RO-318
Cordoba C5CE
Huss and Dalton Road Series 000
Old 12-08-2022, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
SKU #451058000001000
I ordered one of these from MF and as usual they were Superman fast in delivering it. The one problem is that the stand is a death trap for your most precious possession. The rear leg of the 3 of them is WAY TOO SHORT and the slightest pressure or bump on the front causes the whole thing, guitar and all to fall over backwards snapping the headstock off stock off cleanly at the top of the neck. Now I know why they are only $9.00. The MF Customer Service did th right thing at again Superman speed d gave me a full refund. Kudos for doing the right things thing, but why are they still selling these?
Jim, are you saying your guitar snapped at the neck, or that you saw a clear and present risk of that? Yikes. That made my fingertips hurt.

Whenever this comes up, Rev Roy and I usually chime into the vacuum about our Zither stands. (He has a real one; I made mine.) Classy, elegant, and stable, with the smallest footprint imaginable, they are simply the right tool for the job. My HD-28 has been on my Zither-copy stand for weeks.

If it hadn’t been so easy for me to make, I’d have spent the money for one. I’ve kept the template; someday soon I’ll make a second one for my rosewood guitars to go with the first one I made in mahogany.

You know those times when you feel like you wished everyone saw the great thing you see? This is one of those times. But you do you.
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 12-08-2022, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
SKU #451058000001000
Buy cheap, buy twice.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:27 PM

I only use Hercules these days. I have three of them. They collapse and fit into my backpack, and I don't have to worry about finish damage to any of my guitars. (No affiliation btw.)
Old 12-08-2022, 08:27 PM

I've gradually replaced most of my cheap stands with (not-so-cheap) Hercules, and feel much better about them.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion