The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-08-2022, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

The [Baggs] Element/iBeam+iMix seems to be something like what Fishman sells as their PowerTap Infinity setup, i.e., a combination of soundboard transducer with UST. Fishman also has the SBT combined with a mag pickup in the PowerTap Earth rig. I've been staring at both for a while, but they seem to be really aimed at percussive players, which I am not.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Rare Earth Blend system, as I'm not aggrieved by the use or sound of mag pickups in acoustic guitars, but do want a bit of the real acoustic feel. 90% of my playing [out] is open mic venues, though, where what is at the other end of the 1/4" plug is anybody's guess. And, I like the idea of at least being able to try the Blend out without drilling out for the endpin jack (in the guitar I'm planning to install), as well as being able to try it in another guitar with a JJB, without having to actually remove the JJB.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi michaelm
I started with a Baggs LB-6 in 1993, which I had customized into a dual source around 1995 with Bagg's upgrade internal 9v preamp on a circuit board with the mic mounted on the board. I ran it out through a Pendulum End Pin preamp for years and it sounded a lot better. Far better than other guitars with (mostly) under saddle rigs.

Then in 2015 I switched to K&K Pure Mini pickups for the transducer, and their Silver Bullet internal mic and a Raven PMB I for the preamp. It was better and sound was easy to manage no matter the venue. In those days you could supply unlimited power to the Silver Bullet. I had 3 brands of preamps which supplied 15v and 18v to those mics (in 4 guitars) for years without damaging them.

Then 3 yrs ago I dropped back a notch from dual source to ToneDexter using just the K&K Pure Mini (the mics are still internally mounted as a backup). It sounds more 'natural' than the K&K (which still sounds great). I was not dissatisfied with the K&K rigs. I was 71 yrs old and just wanted to see if the ToneDexter could make it even more natural in the room! (which it did)…I'm still happy with the K&K dual source through a Raven PMB II I keep around for backup.

I can use either the K&K rig or my ToneDexter without soundhole plugs, even in pretty aggressive situations. The ToneDexter is better at it than the K&K Dual source which I occasionally need a feedback-buster to keep feedback under control (depends on the house PA abilities, and sound tech knowledge & experience).

If I were starting from scratch today, I'd likely go for a K&K Pure Mini and ToneDexter, Baggs Voiceprint or similar rig.

K&K ruined the self-built preamp choices by limiting the mic to 9v power (more voltage and it shuts down).

Fun fact: my K&K Trinity system internal microphone works flawlessly with my Grace Design Felix2 preamp. I might just be lucky!

2005 Martin HD28 with K&K Trinity;
2012 Cordoba C10;
Grace Design Felix 2;
Sennheiser MD441;
DPA 4099 Core;
DPA 4018L;
Bose L1 Compact;
QSC Touchmix 8;
QSC K10.2;
Neumann u87ai;
Neumann KMS105;
Neumann KM184 (matched pair).

http://www.youtube.com/rodrigopandelo
http://www.rodrigopandelo.com
http://www.instagram.com/rodrigopandelo

São Paulo/Brazil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification