The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-04-2022, 03:28 PM

Default Pre-amp effects loop impact on amp

I have a MIJ takamine with CT4B-2 preamp onboard which I need to hook up to a Pa using my amp as a monitor. I originally planned to use my DI out for this from the amp but as it is a post EQ DI I realised that I needed a flat signal going to PA for the tech guys to adjust and to be able to adjust the amp for myself on stage. So I made a plan to go into a radial passive DI with a thru output to my amp (which has effects loop), and the balanced DI out to go to the PA.

However, Given the variability of PA systems and techs I thought it best to at least have the option of some control over my tone and feedback going to the PA, but also the option to keep the EQ flat and let an experienced tech sort things out through a good PA system if there is one. So I figured….an acoustic preamp would be best instead of simple DI.

I am looking at the Radial PZ-delux or PZ-pre. The pre has an effects loop in it which I don’t know if I need or not. I use a boss DD-500 and UA-reverberator and compressor. What I can’t understand is if I run my delay reverb through the effects loop in the pre-amp, will that then cause problems for the on stage sound as the effects are going into the front end of my amp? Or am I best to use the effects loop on my amp and let the tech sort out any reverb on the PA mixer accepting I won’t have any delay as my external effects are not going to the main PA. Or do I not even need an effects loop and just put my delay and reverb after my guitar and before the preamp pedal and get the ‘PZ deluxe’ saving £100!? Very confused!

Thanks (and sorry if confusing, this acoustic amplifying and effects is a real rabbit hole)

Tim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification