The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-04-2014, 02:38 PM

Default Tacoma ajf22c

Hi:

I am new to the world of archtops but not the world of Tacoma Guitars. (so I know what awaits considering the finish issues)

What I want to know is, how do they stack up tonally against other archtops? Are they one of those guitars that "sounds good plugged in" or do they sound good anyway? Nice bass response, no too jangly and mid-rangey, well-balanced high end but still acousticky sounding would be nice wouldn't it?

Most of them are all solid top sides and bottom. Spruce top, maple back and sides. They also have a passive emg humbucker. I don't know much about emg pickups for jazz.

Anyway, right now I am using a Guild F4CE to take jazz guitar lessons with for now but, someday I want an archtop. The thing is, with a Tacoma Jazz King, I am not going to be able to play it or hear it before I buy it because the only way I am ever going to get one is to buy it online.

If it is expected that this guitar needs to be plugged in to sound good, I would then have to start building a tone chain for a guitar that I bought online without playing it first.

Any questions, comments or suggestions would be welcome. thanx.

~ Seagull, Canada ~
2003 Maritime SWS Mahogany Dreadnaught

~Tacoma's, Tacoma, Washington, USA~
2006 BM6C Baritone
2000 AJF22CE5

~ Guild's, Westerly, R.I., USA ~
1980 F212 CNT

...one man gathers what another man spills...
Old 09-04-2014, 06:33 PM

A lot of players say that it doesn't deliver a true "archtop" tone unplugged - lots of mid- and upper-bass content, similar to a flattop jumbo - and EMG's aren't exactly the darlings of the jazz crowd, so you'll definitely want to try one out before you buy. That said, for similar money to what I've seen the Tacomas going for these days you might want to check out an Eastman - they're far more readily available, and based on your description probably much closer to the tone you're after...
Old 09-04-2014, 07:28 PM

i bought a Tacoma AJF22C about 3 months ago. it's the only guitar i'm using on my gigs since. i use it plugged in but i get a nice acoustic electric sound. i love the EMG p/u but that's me.
i tried mine out and bought it right away. i have many arch tops. it's just a personal choice of what sound you're trying to get.

i also have a Tacoma Chief that i love the sound and playability!

i have a hand carved solid wood arch top for sale for $995. very loud acoustically and has a Benedetto pickup. The neck is just too big for my hands. the nut width is 1 7/8. i gigged with it for about a year but it's time to move on

btw: i practice jazz unplugged with the above guitar or my guild acoustic!

Rob
Old 09-04-2014, 07:53 PM

Default acoustic amp / passive emg humbucker

What is the idea or concept around passive pickups? Maybe this should be a seperate thread, but anyway, what I'm saying is that Tacoma designed some sweet guitars. Were they going for a particular genre or demographic or a vibe of some kind, or just trying to save money or has time just passed the electronics by?

I have an L.R. Baggs active iBeam pickup/transducer in a Tacoma, the Alvarez series 500 in my GY-1 and the Fishman prefix in my Guild F4CE. I have a Roland AC-60 and a Crate Gunnison for amps. I am planning on using the AC-60 for jazz practice and I am keeping the Crate CA6110D for the Tacoma CB10 base guitar w/L.R. Baggs system for now.

If there is no reason not to use the AC-60 I should be able to shape the tone quite a bit. Are passive humbuckers more suited to tube type amps?

~ Seagull, Canada ~
2003 Maritime SWS Mahogany Dreadnaught

~Tacoma's, Tacoma, Washington, USA~
2006 BM6C Baritone
2000 AJF22CE5

~ Guild's, Westerly, R.I., USA ~
1980 F212 CNT

...one man gathers what another man spills...
Old 09-05-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton View Post
What is the idea or concept around passive pickups? ....

If there is no reason not to use the AC-60 I should be able to shape the tone quite a bit. Are passive humbuckers more suited to tube type amps?
Passive pickups are the original design that goes back to the 1930's. Nowadays the term means not having or needing any built in electronics, or a battery, or a power source of any kind.

Passive pickups should work with any amp. For plugging directly into a PA / mic in you'll need a DI Box or a preamp.

The spec to look for on the amp is the input impedance. Usually you'll see a number like 1 Meg Ohm, which means the passive PU will work fine.

I occasionally use my Fishman Loudbox with my archtops that have passive pickups and I like the sound, so you should be able to use your AC-60. But beware, the EQ settings will not be the same ones you use for your other guitars!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 10-23-2022, 09:44 AM

I just put one up for sale on Reverb in case anyone is interested.

https://reverb.com/item/62490811-tac...22c-1999-satin

Youtube
Spotify
Tidal
ResultsManagementGroup and deepwork.coach
Old 05-06-2023, 09:49 AM

Default Tacoma AJF22c for Sale

I took it off but relisted this, in case anyone is interested.

https://reverb.com/item/62490811-tac...22c-1999-satin

Here it in the studio here

Youtube
Spotify
Tidal
ResultsManagementGroup and deepwork.coach

Last edited by Tapping; 05-06-2023 at 09:58 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops