The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-08-2022, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Which benchtop sander would you find most useful (Spindle, Belt, Disk?)

Despite being a middle aged man, my parents still like to buy my Christmas presents, and who am I to disappoint them.

I'm leaning towards asking for (i.e. getting) a combination Belt and Oscillating Spindle sander: https://www.amazon.com/WEN-6524-Osci...ps%2C87&sr=8-2

But, would I find a combo belt and disc sander more useful: https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-Indus...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Or am I better off with just a spindle sander for now, since that belt spindle one does seem a bit fiddly?

Or... look, what's that coming from left field... why, it's a router table?

Which do you think you'd use more in luthiery?

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-08-2022, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Please note: I am not a luthier or guitar tech. I'm a gunsmith and shotgun fitter. I do a lot of work repairing and modifying shotgun stocks.

That said, I'm not a big fan of combination sanders, in spite of have 2 of them. On one of my 6" belt sanders (converted to 3") I completely removed the disc sander. I left the disc on my other 6" combo sander but only use the disc once in a while. I have a 12" disc sander that handles the majority of my disc work.

Here's a photo of the 6" belt/disc combo, 3" converted belt, 1" belt, grinder, buffer and 12" disc.

Just my $.02 and possibly worth both pennies.

Old 12-08-2022, 11:51 AM

I sometimes use an Oscillating Drum Sander, usually when making molds or bending forms. It usually sits under the bench.

I use a combination belt/drum sander more often though, usually any day I'm in the shop.

I don't know what I'd use an oscillating belt sander for, I do remember having a job once for one but got by.

In a pinch, you can drum sand with a drill press. A router table is real handy but you can make one easy enough, you don't need a big one, about 15" square will do. Mine sits under the bench with the drum sander.

So, my priorities would be
1. Belt/disc sander
2. Router table
3. Oscillating drum/spindle sander
4. Oscillating belt sander

Last edited by Fathand; 12-08-2022 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:05 PM

I have had both. For building electric guitar bodies, the oscillating spindle sander is terrific for truing inside curves on the waist. The advantage of the disc sander is you can produce perfect flat, 90º angle surfaces- like the bottom of a nut or saddle- or an angle you want without having to depend on the steadiness of your hand.

Whichever you get, get a range of belts from grits 80-220. The tool will remove material fast. A finer grit gives you more control- I'm surprised how often I ended up with the 220 belt.
2 tele partscasters
Yamaha Pacifica 611 VFM
Old 12-08-2022, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post

I don't know what I'd use an oscillating belt sander for, I do remember having a job once for one but got by.
I think it converts from oscillating spindle sander to regular old belt sander. I don't think it oscillates in belt mode.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-08-2022, 01:16 PM

I've got a 4" belt/disc combo - use the belt constantly, the disc not at all.

I did buy an oscillating spindle sander, which is super handy for certain jobs but stays tucked away otherwise.

I built a thickness sander /drum sander, before I bought a nice big one. Still using both.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

I’ve got the Ridgid belt/spindle sander. It does oscillate in the belt configuration also. I use it frequently. Great for making bridges. I have a cheaper 1” belt x 8” disk sander I rarely use. The disk mainly for making nuts and adjusting saddles.

Old 12-08-2022, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

My 6"x48" belt/9" disk combo sander, my 16/32 drum sander and the router table are all on their own bases and all get used a lot.
The oscillating spindle sander lives on a shelf and gets clamped onto the bench certain jobs (body forms, templates, etc.)

If I could only have one of the above, it would be a 6x48 belt sander... ... and my drum sander.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:55 AM

I've had my eye on one of these for a while

https://multitoolgrinders.com/produc...act-wheel.html
Old 12-09-2022, 07:15 AM

My belt/disc combo uses 4x36 belts and 8 inch discs. I paid $50 for it used and its been great. All the newer ones seem to have smaller discs now but guitar work is usually small stuff.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:27 AM

disk/belt sanders for outside curves, oscillating spindle sander for inside curves.

router table a whole different set of uses
Old 12-09-2022, 06:10 PM

I think the belt sander oscillates all the time. I just have one with the disk, never used the disk although I guess I can use it for nuts. A dedicated spindle sander does give you different radius's. Not sure how much use it would get, I have one but it has problems and I never use it. The belt sander I use it all the time. I originally got it for doing metal work when I was building a car then woodwork and it has a lot of use over the years to the point the bearing went (made aluminum fitting to hold the bearing). I welded a couple of bolts on the inside of the frame, the weld not really necessary, a couple of holes for the bolts and two wrenches could do the same. The addition is at 90 degrees and has been useful at times. Looking at it now I probably would have shifted it to the right now, was fine for a 2"x4" steel tubing way back when. I also have a piece of plywood with a hole in it to use with my dust collector.

Oh right, I would go with the top one.

Last edited by printer2; 12-09-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

I’ve found disc sanders good for dimensional sanding (length, angles) - belt sanders for smoothing & shaping, spindle sanders for inside curves, shaping, and even dimensioning (thickness). Get the best machine you can. And keep looking for the others -
Old 12-10-2022, 01:21 AM

i would rank from first to last and I typically use everyone of them

Belt sander
Disc sander
Drum sander
Spindle sander
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair