The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-15-2021, 10:25 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that I love the snazzy video production—it really fits the whole thing to a T.

Seriously, though, I’m grateful to discover a song from Paul Simon I didn’t know, and to find one so moving … well, thank you.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:44 PM

Beautiful. Very well done Glenn.

https://www.youtube.com/user/1953MrEd
Old 06-15-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention that I love the snazzy video production—it really fits the whole thing to a T.

Seriously, though, I’m grateful to discover a song from Paul Simon I didn’t know, and to find one so moving … well, thank you.
Thank you again, Aimelie!

I'm so glad you appreciate the video production. It takes a little extra work and I have put in a fair amount of time developing how to do all this stuff, so I am very pleased that you noticed! See my response to Kerbie for more details on the video background.

Regards,
Glenn
Old 06-15-2021, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
Beautiful. Very well done Glenn.
Thank you Mike!

How nice to hear from you! I'm glad you felt this came out well! Thanks for taking time to watch and comment!

I hope you are doing well!

- Glenn
Old 06-16-2021, 01:33 AM

Wow, not heard this for a very, very long time. I didn't recognise the title but as soon as you started singing I remembered it but I don't know where from.

Excellent in all respects.

Phil Taylor

'Rivers and Trees' - April 2021. https://philiptaylor1.bandcamp.com/a...vers-and-trees

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNx...0XtP04PcL8HN4Q
Old 06-16-2021, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

It is really great to hear that song again. Your performance is, as always, top notch. The song takes me back to my early college days in the most warm and nostalgic way. Thanks for a few wonderful minutes in the old time machine! Dan
Old 06-16-2021, 06:43 AM
Charter Member

Glenn,
That was so beautifully done and arranged. Wonderful!
I've always liked this song a lot, and many years ago when I was learning how to play in Travis style picking this is one of the songs I had used to teach myself. (along with Kathy's Song. Did you ever record that one? Would love to see that!)
Watching this now I realize I wasn't playing quite the right chord up the fretboard in the refrain "..and Flowers never bend...". You have the correct chord voicing there with the open strings. Thanks for that!
In the last chord I always left the C and D (relative to the capo) notes planted, but went from a G to an F in the bass, to get that diminished sounding voicing. I thought that's what Simon was doing on the S&G album (P,S,R &T) But I see that you do that differently. Maybe I had that one wrong too.
I enjoyed that one very much. A lot of the tunes you cover really hit my memory buttons!
Thanks for posting this one!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 06-16-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKPhil View Post
Wow, not heard this for a very, very long time. I didn't recognise the title but as soon as you started singing I remembered it but I don't know where from.

Excellent in all respects.
Hi Phil!

Thanks so much for your kind comments! I'm glad you remember this song from your past! And I'm pleased that you feel my cover came out well.

I hope all is well with you! Take care...

- Glenn
Old 06-16-2021, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedartop52 View Post
It is really great to hear that song again. Your performance is, as always, top notch. The song takes me back to my early college days in the most warm and nostalgic way. Thanks for a few wonderful minutes in the old time machine! Dan
Hi Dan,

Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments!

Yes, this song also takes me back to my college days. It does have a very relaxing sound to it that I have also found somewhat comforting, even the stuff about pretending that my life will never end!

And I think there are a few places where I think I used to play this song differently back in college. It's a lot easier to get access to music today where I can check myself against the actual recording.

Music is a kind of time machine, isn't it?! Interesting thought!

Take care Dan!

- Glenn
Old 06-16-2021, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Glenn,
That was so beautifully done and arranged. Wonderful!
I've always liked this song a lot, and many years ago when I was learning how to play in Travis style picking this is one of the songs I had used to teach myself. (along with Kathy's Song. Did you ever record that one? Would love to see that!)
Watching this now I realize I wasn't playing quite the right chord up the fretboard in the refrain "..and Flowers never bend...". You have the correct chord voicing there with the open strings. Thanks for that!
In the last chord I always left the C and D (relative to the capo) notes planted, but went from a G to an F in the bass, to get that diminished sounding voicing. I thought that's what Simon was doing on the S&G album (P,S,R &T) But I see that you do that differently. Maybe I had that one wrong too.
I enjoyed that one very much. A lot of the tunes you cover really hit my memory buttons!
Thanks for posting this one!
Hi Andre,

Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments! I'm so glad you appreciated my efforts on this! Thanks for the kind words!

First, I wouldn't want anyone to think that I was any kind of expert on how to play this song. I didn't make any detailed analysis of the voicings, I really just kind of put this together pretty fast.

I did do a little checking and played with Paul Simon's recordings to see if I was reasonably accurate and I think I was. But again, one afternoon I decided to take a shot at this song and the next morning I had a video put together. So I was not very scientific about this.

It is a good song to illustrate the Travis picking pattern, just like Kathy's song. I did do a video on Kathy's song a couple of years ago, but I did not do a very good job on it. I should do it again. Maybe that will be my next project. I have always loved that song!

Thanks for your kind and astute comments, Andre! It's so nice hearing from you!

Be well!

- Glenn
Old 09-25-2022, 07:24 PM

Hi Glenn,

Kinda late to the party here, but I wanted to mention how much I enjoyed your cover of this song.

It didn't bring back any memories to me, since I only heard the song for the first time this week! I was watching an episode of Orville, and the song was performed in a scene: https://youtu.be/RW6W_RALris

I thought what a beautiful song, and went to YouTube to find a cover version, so I could see where the song is played in the neck. I was pleasantly surprised to see your version there.

My wife also really enjoyed it, and mentioned that you have a very pleasant, soft voice.

If you don't mind my asking, how do you work out the harmony lines? I would love to sing harmony, but have no idea where to start.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony123 View Post
Hi Glenn,

Kinda late to the party here, but I wanted to mention how much I enjoyed your cover of this song.

It didn't bring back any memories to me, since I only heard the song for the first time this week! I was watching an episode of Orville, and the song was performed in a scene: https://youtu.be/RW6W_RALris

I thought what a beautiful song, and went to YouTube to find a cover version, so I could see where the song is played in the neck. I was pleasantly surprised to see your version there.

My wife also really enjoyed it, and mentioned that you have a very pleasant, soft voice.

If you don't mind my asking, how do you work out the harmony lines? I would love to sing harmony, but have no idea where to start.
Hi Harmony!

What a surprise to see this old thread be resurrected! I'm so glad you enjoyed this song! How very cool!

On Simon & Garfunkel songs I work out the harmony by listening to their recording and picking out the melody separately and then the harmony, separately. Then I sing the harmony part on the original recording with Art Garfunkel's part until I have it memorized.

When I am working out a harmony on something I have composed or some new harmony that I want to add to some cover, I play the chords to the song and sing a different part from the melody and experiment around until I find something that works and sounds good against the main melody. I usually record the melody of a song first so then I can sing against that with various harmony lines until I find something I really like.

You can work harmony parts out on paper by writing the melody line down on music paper and then being very analytical about writing the harmony line with third or fourth or fifth intervals above or below the main melody line, which also need to fit into the chord changes of the song. And there are times when I have done that. But most of the time I just make stuff up on the fly until I find something that works well. When you get used to singing harmony, it gets a little easier to do this.

Here is the original Simon & Garfunkel recording. Hopefully, you can hear the two parts Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel are singing.

Thanks so much for your feedback! I hope the information I've provided is helpful!

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 09-26-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:11 AM

Those harmonies!! Great cover!

Old 09-26-2022, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_WarEagle View Post
Those harmonies!! Great cover!
Thank you Lauren!

It's nice to know you are listening. I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 09-26-2022, 02:22 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
On Simon & Garfunkel songs I work out the harmony by listening to their recording and picking out the melody separately and then the harmony, separately. Then I sing the harmony part on the original recording with Art Garfunkel's part until I have it memorized.

When I am working out a harmony on something I have composed or some new harmony that I want to add to some cover, I play the chords to the song and sing a different part from the melody and experiment around until I find something that works and sounds good against the main melody. ...

Thanks so much for your feedback! I hope the information I've provided is helpful!
Yes, thank you, it's something I'd like to work on and improve.

This is such a beautiful song - I REALLY want to sing along with it, but I had thyroid surgery 3 days ago and the doctor told me: 'NO SINGING FOR 2 WEEKS!'

I'm so used to singing along with everything I hear that it's hard to stop.

At least I can work on my Travis picking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell