The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-21-2021, 08:20 AM

Default The word "Mint" is entirely subjective, but this is next level; A Guitar Center story

Four weeks ago (yes, 4), I ordered a Gibson F12 75th Anniversary mandolin from Guitar Center. After 5 or 6 days went by with no shipping confirmation, I called the store in Knoxville, TN for a status update.

"Oh, no one called you about this?" here we go...

Long story short, the store manager said they could not locate the original case. They looked all through their warehouse, and said that the employees at the store it was shipped from swear 100% that it was shipped in the original case. So that manager was going to contact the other store manager and try to review surveillance footage, and it was this whole ordeal.

Bottom line, I was told that by the end of that weekend (8 days after the initial order), I would have an answer - either they find the original case and ship it, or they'll refund me some money and/or include an aftermarket hardshell case. I was assured from the store manager and the operations manager that this mandolin was in mint condition, so to me, it was worth waiting for. Only 10 were made, and they don't come around often.

The end of the weekend came and went, no phone call. For the entire next week, I tried calling, but my calls were forwarded to another store. They said the Knoxville store was having phone issues and that they couldn't help me. Great. Why someone couldn't just call me from a cell phone? I don't know. It's 2021, but this is Guitar Center.

So I wait and wait, still no call the following week. I call again, and get ahold of the store manager. "OHHH Matt - I was JUST about to call you!" Right, and I was born yesterday.

Still can't find the case, still no plan for resolution. Once again though, this mandolin is rare and in mint, beautiful condition, so I remain patient. The manager ends up telling me that they spoke with the employee who took it in, and that it never had a case to begin with. Uhhh, ok. He says he will kick me back $250, AND include a hardshell case. Great!

Then he calls me back and says sorry, I spoke too soon - we can refund $200, and apply that to a hardshell case. So instead of walking away with $250 and a case in my pocket, I'll just have a case. Whatever, once again, this mandolin is rare and mint. He agrees to overnight it to me.

It shows up today, and this is their definition of mint condition, described by the store manager and operations manager themselves. I wish I could say that this is a joke.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:26 AM

MINT in GC speak-----Maybe It's Not Trashed
Old 05-21-2021, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
MINT in GC speak-----Maybe It's Not Trashed

and that's a BIG maybe.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:40 AM

If you like the look of made in the 1930’s, you’re there. If you wanted mint, not so much. On the bright side, if there is one, you own a rare one and have a solid case for more cash back from GC. Keep whittling them until you get it for near free. While certainly not mint, I like the way it looks. Congrats??
Old 05-21-2021, 08:40 AM

Bought a 11 yr old Givens Legacy from Reverb that was described as Excellent.

BUT
finish worn on neck in several place.
Finish on back of headstock a mess
Someone had reglued binding with super glue wh effed finish next to binding
etc etc.
Basically this was a well used and put up wet mando.

I challenged the seller on condition. He swore it was excellent. So probs are not limited to GC. Hope you can negotiate a great discount. Good luck

The good news in all this BS. I became friends with the maker of Givens Legacy, Steve Weill, and he sold me his last production mando at a nice price. Sometime bad stuff leads to a nice ending.

Last edited by Scotso; 05-21-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:41 AM

Wow, what a disappointment!

I admire your patience, but, I do hope you get a refund, or at least a discount in price.

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2021, 09:16 AM

Lesson learned? Don't trust GC used instrument evaluations - they don't know what they are looking at/for.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 05-21-2021, 09:29 AM

There evidently is no standard. I've bought items in 'good' condition from GC and they were stellar.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 05-21-2021, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Bummer. I would hate to see something they claimed was in "good" condition.
Old 05-21-2021, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

This thread is companion to a thread I initiated https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=615786 several weeks ago about describing the condition of an artificially "distressed" guitar minus the Guitar Center reference. I can only assume that the GC guitar evaluator thought that this mandolin was in mint condition for an instrument of its vintage...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-21-2021, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

I'd be interested to hear from anyone that is surprised by this.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 05-21-2021, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

I bought a Martin Dreadnought from a GC in Texas....noted, excellent.

It arrived, I opened the shipping box and the cigarette smell was overwhelming.

I opened the case and the cigarette smell from the guitar was intense. I tuned it up and started to play and my fingers were turing yellow brown and sticky. The cowboy frets were covered in a goo of nicotine and finger crud. Yuck

My son in law walked in to the garage one bay away and asked if I had started smoking again....I stopped 40 yrs ago

The saddle was very low and the action was high. I ran a check on the neck, reset needed.

The good news, GC’s refund policy is top notch. Walk into any GC and hand them the guitar, no questions asked refund. I even got the shipping refunded
Old 05-21-2021, 04:30 PM

Send it back for a full refund (inc. shipping).

It just occurred to me that GC's generous return policy may affect their valuations. "Hey, it's a hard to find instrument anyhow, let's call it mint and maybe once he gets it in his hands he'll keep it. Otherwise he can ship it on back, no harm no foul."
Old 05-25-2021, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Send it back for a full refund (inc. shipping).

It just occurred to me that GC's generous return policy may affect their valuations. "Hey, it's a hard to find instrument anyhow, let's call it mint and maybe once he gets it in his hands he'll keep it. Otherwise he can ship it on back, no harm no foul."
That seems entirely possible to me.

whm
Old 05-27-2021, 09:19 AM

If it sounds good and plays well...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments