The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-20-2021, 01:52 PM

Most of my recording sessions look something like this:

I love doing the live off site recording, so a Zoom R24 is my weapon of choice. The mics are way more costly than the R24. I'm doing a four piece acoustic band in the photo.

It doesn't look anything like what everyone else is posting, but OP asked what recording sessions looked like. If the band is practiced I can do a full CD's worth of tunes and songs in a session.

Everything is tracked at 24 bit / 44.1khz and dumped into Reaper later for mix down.

Back to your regularly scheduled program!
Old 05-20-2021, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Couple quick questions :: What are Auto-align plugins ? And then can I assume you are using stereo audio tracks for the guitars ? I ask because one of the things I really like about PT is on stereo tracks it automatically shows two panner Knobs. Which IMO may be the easiest to pan to any position and range of stereo output.
Sorry, Kev, I missed this question. The Auto-align plugin can figure out phase/time differences between tracks and shift them to be in better sync. Useful when using multiple mics. I often end up with them not engaged, but they give me a useful metric of how well my mic pairs are lined up and in phase.

https://www.soundradix.com/products/auto-align/

And yes, I usually use stereo tracks. I think there may be an option for 2 pan controls in Logic. But I almost never use those for solo guitar - I'm trying to get a correct stereo image, so I try to nail that with mic placement. If I do need to pan, the single pan control seems to do that fine, and if I want to narrow the stereo image (rare), there are plugins I can use for that.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Most of my recording sessions look something like this:

I love doing the live off site recording, so a Zoom R24 is my weapon of choice. The mics are way more costly than the R24. I'm doing a four piece acoustic band in the photo.

It doesn't look anything like what everyone else is posting, but OP asked what recording sessions looked like. If the band is practiced I can do a full CD's worth of tunes and songs in a session.

Everything is tracked at 24 bit / 44.1khz and dumped into Reaper later for mix down.

Back to your regularly scheduled program!
Hey thanks for the photo ha ha yes I did indeed ask for what sessions/projects looked like ...
I was actually intending about the DAW windows. But no reason the physical session does not fall into that question also. Good catch
So do you have 8 mics plugged into the Zoom ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-21-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Hey thanks for the photo ha ha yes I did indeed ask for what sessions/projects looked like ...
I was actually intending about the DAW windows. But no reason the physical session does not fall into that question also. Good catch
So do you have 8 mics plugged into the Zoom ?
Seven condenser mics and a D.I. for the upright bass pickup, which in this case was a David Gage as I recall.

Not meaning to side-line your intentions for the topic, just popping in to say how much I love to do audio capture on location with no computer involved.

The R24 recorders can actually be daisy-chained together for 16 input simultaneous recording, but 8 is enough for me since I don't end up doing drums often. Zoom has a more current product series (Livetrak 8, 12, or 20) designed for use as a live PA mixer and ability to record up to 16 XLR inputs, but I'm REALLY CHEAP!
Old 05-21-2021, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Seven condenser mics and a D.I. for the upright bass pickup, which in this case was a David Gage as I recall.

Not meaning to side-line your intentions for the topic, just popping in to say how much I love to do audio capture on location with no computer involved.

The R24 recorders can actually be daisy-chained together for 16 input simultaneous recording, but 8 is enough for me since I don't end up doing drums often.
Ah nice location set up and no hey all good,
Here is one of mine getting ready to start, pair of Ribbons for guitar and LDC tube condenser for vocal "On Location" in my bedroom . BTW on the right hand side on the music stand is my iPad with the remote Avid Control app open to be able to control PT wirelessly .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 05-21-2021, 01:41 PM

Session pic AND screen grabs in one shot!

Nothing to sneeze at there, Kev!

Probably not a coincidence, but most rooms with a high vaulted ceiling sound better to me than any room with a flat ceiling.
Old 05-21-2021, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Session pic AND screen grabs in one shot!

Nothing to sneeze at there, Kev!

Probably not a coincidence, but most rooms with a high vaulted ceiling sound better to me than any room with a flat ceiling.
yes I hate being in the corner for mixing but the vaulted ceiling helps

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD