The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-20-2016, 10:35 AM

Whaaat??? I'm just looking out for Ken

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 03-20-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Whaaat??? I'm just looking out for Ken

Ohhhhhh, my mistake, I am sorry, you do have a heart, you were just looking out for Ken. You are a better guy that I thought, I stand corrected....
Old 03-20-2016, 11:26 AM

Beth,

That is a beautiful guitar. You must be crazy excited. Congrats.

2012 Taylor 814ce Spring Ltd. - Sitka Cocobola
2011 Taylor 314ce
1997 Takamine LTD Gecko - Koa
2014 Epiphone Riviera Custom P93 Wine Red
Old 03-20-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Ohhhhhh, my mistake, I am sorry, you do have a heart, you were just looking out for Ken. You are a better guy that I thought, I stand corrected....
Tom, you DO get that I'm joking with these types of posts, right??

The Acoustics

Old 03-20-2016, 11:48 AM

duplicate post

The Acoustics

Old 03-20-2016, 11:52 AM

I know that when Tom and Chris start exchanging posts- especially about trying to "steal" the build, that Ken is getting the highest of compliments! I'll let Tom answer for himself, but I appreciated the thought, Chris.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:55 AM

This is looking fantastic. I really like the cocobolo laminations in the neck!!!! Um and those fret markers are top drawer!
Old 03-20-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
Tom, you DO get that I'm joking with these types of posts, right??

Ahhh Ditto....I thought it was obvious that I was too, but I often think I am funny when others don't. Of course I know you are joking and I thought it obvious back, but I guess not....sorry to hijack Beth.....
Old 03-20-2016, 11:58 AM

Beth I hear you calling, but I just cat find the time...

Oops wrong Beth.

Your guitar will be a STUNNING once-in-a-lifetime guitar.

Looking forward to the rest. Love to hear it live one day.

Chris

The Acoustics

Old 03-20-2016, 11:59 AM

Whet is this mythical Beth?

The Acoustics

Old 03-20-2016, 12:08 PM

I'm quite honored that you two have "hijacked" the thread, actually. I'm sure Ken will be too

And if you want to meet this "mythical Beth" and play this guitar, that actually might be possible. The dog and I are going to go on a road trip to pick it up and we'll be going through Northern Illinois on the way home. Just let us know....

I'm getting very excited to hear the music this guitar will be able to make. Its beauty is already exceeding my expectations!
Old 03-20-2016, 12:11 PM

And thanks for the kind words, Rod and jrdavis. Both Ken and I greatly appreciate your support of his craftsmanship.

Beth (for the "mythical Ken" who only creeps out of his workshop cave periodically.... )
Old 03-20-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
I'm quite honored that you two have "hijacked" the thread, actually. I'm sure Ken will be too

And if you want to meet this "mystical Beth" and play this guitar, that actually might be possible. The dog and I are going to go on a road trip to pick it up and we'll be going through Northern Illinois on the way home. Just let us know....

I'm getting very excited to hear the music this guitar will be able to make. Its beauty is already exceeding my expectations!
SWEET! We live in Woodstock. I'll pm my phone.

Chris

The Acoustics

Old 03-20-2016, 03:31 PM

Hello All!

Been awhile since I posted to this thread. I had so much travel through February and early March. Loving being back and spending time in the shop again. I'd surface from the shop at night and send updates to Beth, but just didn't take time to jump on here to post updates. Beth took good care of that for both of us though

Thanks everyone for all the great comments on Beth's guitar! It is coming together nicely. I find each commission to be very unique in its own way. I guide the decisions, but, like Beth, my customers' decisions are on display everywhere.

I believe Beth responded to most of the posts. The one she couldn't answer was with respect to the neck hardware I use. Oddmanout, the barrel nuts are similar to what you linked. However, the ones I use run the full width of the tenon. And no, I do not glue them in.

So I am trying to get my two current builds done by late April, which means I need to keep showing progress. This week, I made good progress on Beth's, finishing up the fingerboard and the faceplate laminate yesterday. A few more evenings, and I should have Beth's guitar really close to the lacquer stage.

Before getting too far into the fingerboard, I wanted to get the neck seated well to the body. Here is a shot of the neck joint. I'll trim the heel later:

I used to do fingerboards by hand, but I now use a CNC. I don't know if it is any faster as almost every fingerboard I do is unique in some way, which results in a lot of design work, but the accuracy is certainly high with the machine. Here are the steps I go through to make a fingerboard:

The first step is the cut the profile of the fingerboard. I don't cut the area near the soundhole with the CNC, rather I do that by hand. I want the end radius to sit right at the soundhole edge, so I will cut the profile long then use a bandsaw and sander to put the radius on the end:

Next up is to mill a 16' radius on the surface:

Then I mill the fret slots with a very fine end mill:

The last step is the mill the pockets for the inlays. I made the inlays first, so I could test fit them in the pockets prior to pulling the fingerboard off the mill:

Once the fingerboard is off the mill, I glue in the inlays and bind it:

Here is a shot of the finished fingerboard:

Before gluing on the fingerboard, I need to get the headstock laminated and the profile cut. I have tried a number of ways to do this over the years. A few years ago I started making the face plates separately, gluing them on, then using a template and my router to cut the profile. The first step is to make the faceplate. Beth and I decided to use some of the leftover wood from the back. This wood is so unique, and it just made sense to bookmatch a nice piece and put it on the headstock:

Though, the cocobolo doesn't stand out too much, the faceplate is bound with cocobolo to match the binding on the fingerboard and body:

Thanks again for all the kind words. It's pretty cool to be involved with a unique project like this one.

Ken
Old 03-20-2016, 04:33 PM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Thank you for the additional info on the neck hardware. I love learning about each luthier's processes!

The fingerboard with those elegant markers and binding, and the bookmatched head plate look really supurb. I personally love bookmatched head plates from body offcuts. You did a beautiful job creating some "grain drama" in this one.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
casper guitar, custom acoustic, grand concert, manzer wedge