The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-19-2021, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default uploading a song?

If I'm understanding the directions, a song must be on youtube or soundcloud. I can't upload an mp3. Is this correct?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-19-2021, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

KB... to my knowledge, that is correct. Maybe some of the members who upload a lot can confirm. In the meantime, I'll look around.
Old 06-19-2021, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Kerbie.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-19-2021, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

You have to use a site that has a web address (soundcloud, etc). I have my own website with my own url and can use that. I also use youtube.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-19-2021, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Thank you, rick-slo.
Old 06-19-2021, 05:16 PM

Think of it as providing a link to the song, not an upload. Both soundcloud and youtube are free to use and will give you the url link you can use for us here. You upload to them and use the link here.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 06-19-2021, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
If I'm understanding the directions, a song must be on youtube or soundcloud. I can't upload an mp3. Is this correct?
Hi Karen,

You are correct as far as I know.

Audio files can be fairly large and video files can be huge. If the AGF had to store those files, the cost for AGF file storage would quickly get out of control. However, organizations such as Soundcloud (for audio) or YouTube (for video) do have the capacity to store large amounts of files. If the files are uploaded to sites like these but the address to those sites are linked here on the AGF, then the AGF is not having to store those files.

I imagine you are wondering if you have to go through the hassle of signing up for Soundcloud or YouTube. I did both and I found that signing up wasn't too bad or difficult. I remember feeling some trepidation about this, but it wasn't bad at all.

As Derek mentioned, you could set up your own website, but that is considerably more difficult for a variety of reasons, such as having to learn the programming protocols for the web platform. Even then, many people on their websites still use other hosts such as Soundcloud or YouTube to actually store the audio or video files, because, again, it costs money to store a lot of files on your own website.

I hope this all makes sense.

- Glenn
Old 06-19-2021, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

You might want to upload a wav file to soundcloud, not an mp3. Most DAWs export/render both types of music file.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-19-2021, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Glenn for that information. Makes sense. And thanks TBman and started with 1. Rick-Slo you wrote: "You have to use a site that has a web address (soundcloud, etc)." I had a strange experience with SoundCloud. What are the "etc."?
Old 06-20-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Thanks Glenn for that information. Makes sense. And thanks TBman and started with 1. Rick-Slo you wrote: "You have to use a site that has a web address (soundcloud, etc)." I had a strange experience with SoundCloud. What are the "etc."?
If you don't have your own website, Soundcloud is really the simplest to use. If your "strange experience" involved requests from strangers to share your music on your behalf, don't let that throw you. Those are bots trolling for business. Whenever I put something on Soundcloud, I get one of those requests within seconds, and just delete it.

This is what a Soundcloud link should look like:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell