The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-15-2021, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Going on a bike ride this weekend?

It's gorgeous here today, so I think it's time for a bike ride! Got my Trek Domane in February, so it's not exactly new, but this is my first summer with it. I still consider it new.
Anybody else going?

Old 05-15-2021, 07:39 AM

Kerbie, enjoy your bike ride! Although I won't be riding it is a sunny weekend here, upper 50s (beautiful for here this time of year) so I'm going to walk along the rocky ocean coast during low tide. Call it a hike.

How many miles do you think you'll do and what kind of scenery?
Old 05-15-2021, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Good for you I am guessing it's still a month off for me because even though the weather is warming here at 8000 ft. I am in terrible shape because of not having done squat for exercise last winter.
From last December I started to notice I was getting really tired with any amount of increased exertion. And was a bit worried I was agin have artery issues like before my double bypass 6 years ago But the good news was that was not the problem.
The bad news was I had developed an A fib issue where during exercise my heart would start to increase as normal but would then tank (down to like 40 BPM) and I would become exhausted
Turns out I had to have a pace maker implanted and did that 3 weeks ago and am now slowly rehabbing and gettin g back into shape and should be biking by mid June

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-15-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
It's gorgeous here today, so I think it's time for a bike ride! Got my Trek Domane in February, so it's not exactly new, but this is my first summer with it. I still consider it new.
Anybody else going?

Have a great ride Kerbie, really cool looking bike!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Good for you I am guessing it's still a month off for me because even though the weather is warming here at 8000 ft. I am in terrible shape because of not having done squat for exercise last winter.
From last December I started to notice I was getting really tired with any amount of increased exertion. And was a bit worried I was agin have artery issues like before my double bypass 6 years ago But the good news was that was not the problem.
The bad news was I had developed an A fib issue where during exercise my heart would start to increase as normal but would then tank (down to like 40 BPM) and I would become exhausted
Turns out I had to have a pace maker implanted and did that 3 weeks ago and am now slowly rehabbing and gettin g back into shape and should be biking by mid June
Sorry to hear about the heart issues, hopefullly that pacemaker will keep pace and you will be back at it! Someone has to take care of those horses!
Old 05-15-2021, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Wow, Kevin... that's some kind of news! I'm sorry to hear that, but I'm glad the implant went well and I hope you'll be back on your bike soon. Take good care of yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
How many miles do you think you'll do and what kind of scenery?
After pretty much a disastrous spring, I just had a cortisone shot a week ago for an ornery hip. So, I'm still taking it kinda easy. I'll be in my neighborhood which winds all around a beautiful golf course, but I'll do as much as I think my hip can take.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:04 AM

Yep, with over 300 days of beautiful sunshine and 70 degree temps in my region EVERY weekend is good for riding!

Old 05-15-2021, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Yep, with over 300 days of beautiful sunshine and 70 degree temps in my region EVERY weekend is good for riding!

LUCKY! Where do YOU live?!?

We are also heading out on our motorcycle in mere minutes.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:11 AM
Musical minimalist

Leaving in about an hour and going to try to get 50 in - was going to go tomorrow morning, but it's supposed to rain.

Allergies have me at about 80% at best, so going to have to gut this one out.

Old 05-15-2021, 10:14 AM

It's unusually warm here for a few days, so I'll be riding this weekend, too. But like 619TF and Methos, my ride is motorized. Enjoy it however you ride!
Old 05-15-2021, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Beautiful! But what will really impress me is when you pedal that thing.
Old 05-15-2021, 11:22 AM

I ride nearly every day, even in the winter, but my rides tend to be short 5-6 mile things. Good for my old joints though. It's starting to finally warm up from the "WWII temps*" I had for my mostly early-morning rides. I've had a handful of rides in shorts and short-sleeves this spring.

What with the pandemic I haven't done anything longer in more than a year. Wife and I are thinking about riding along some of the Root River Trail for our anniversary later this month on our "Annivers-a-bikes."**

*You know: temps from 39 to 45 degrees F. Of course that's no real problem with proper clothes for the temp, but for me I need to wear tights (harder and harder to put on as I get older) and the annoyance of full gloves. There's just something nice about feeling real air and sun on bare skin for the first time in the Spring.

**She likes her 8 speed Afline hub city bike and doesn't mind going 20 miles or more on it, while mine is a older REI Safari "adventure touring" bike with wider tires and an European-type figure 8 handlebar. At least they are a matching brown color.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-15-2021, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I ride nearly every day, even in the winter, but my rides tend to be short 5-6 mile things. Good for my old joints though. It's starting to finally warm up from the "WWII temps*"
I hear ya... MSP gets c-c-cold in the winter.

And I understand the shorter mileage. I hope I'm not limited to 5 or 6 miles in the future, but I may be.
-------

Today was great, guys... you should have all come along!
Old 05-15-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
LUCKY! Where do YOU live?!?

We are also heading out on our motorcycle in mere minutes.
Not lucky... planned. I gave up everything to move to Southern California years ago and never looked back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Beautiful! But what will really impress me is when you pedal that thing.
And I will be impressed when you can travel 80MPH on yours.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Yes! Our weather is perfect for riding now. I’m getting back to 2/3 rides per week minimum.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-15-2021, 02:06 PM

Heck yes! I'm putting the finishing touches on a Esker Hayduke hardtail I've been building up today, so that'll get a shakedown ride today or tomorrow, and if I don't get that bike quite ready today I'll probably take a road ride instead!
B&J Serenader Round Hole Archtop
Guild F212XL
Bruno Lyra Jumbo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic